Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pay to experience invisible art?

• 18-05-2012 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,595 ✭✭✭

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2012/0518/breaking26.html

A leading British gallery is to push the boundaries of visual art with an exhibition of works which cannot be seen.

London’s Hayward Gallery will gather together 50 “invisible” works by leading figures such as Andy Warhol, Yves Klein and Yoko Ono for its display of works you cannot actually see.

It is thought to be the first such exhibition staged at a major institution in the UK.

Gallery bosses say the £8 a head exhibition demonstrates how art is about “firing the imagination”, rather than simply viewing objects.

Invisible: Art about the Unseen 1957 — 2012 opens on June 12th and includes an empty plinth, a canvas of invisible ink and an unseen labyrinth.

It includes work and documents from French artist Klein who pioneered invisible works in the late 1950s with his concept of the “architecture of air”.

Also in the exhibition will be Warhol’s work Invisible Sculpture — dating from 1985 — which consists of an empty plinth, on which he had once briefly stepped, one of many explorations of the nature of celebrity.

Another, 1000 Hours of Staring is a blank piece of paper at which artist Tom Friedman has stared repeatedly over the space of five years, and another by the same artist Untitled (A Curse) is an empty space which has been cursed by a witch.

Ralph Rugoff, director of the Hayward Gallery, said: “I think visitors will find that there is plenty to see and experience in this exhibition of invisible art. From the amusing to the philosophical, you will be able to explore an invisible labyrinth that only materialises as you move around it, see an artwork that has been created by the artist staring at it for 1000 hours, walk through an installation designed to evoke the afterlife, and be in the presence of Andy Warhol’s celebrity aura.

“This exhibition highlights that art isn’t about material objects, it’s about setting our imaginations alight, and that’s what the artists in this show do in many varied ways.”

The exhibition forms part of the Southbank Centre’s summer-long Festival Of The World with MasterCard.

Also featured among the exhibits will be a series of typed instructions by Ono, encouraging viewers to conjure up an artwork in their minds, Jeppe Heine’s Invisible Labyrinth in which visitors negotiate their way around a maze wearing digital headphones activated by infra-red beams.

I'm still half convinced it's a wind-up, but the concept stands. this place seems to be charging £8 sterling to go view "art" pieces that you can't actually see. So what does after hours think of this?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Fools and their money soon parted...

Nothing to see here?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I've an invisible rembrandt above my toilet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

Yes, provided they accepted my invisible money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Where do I type in my credit card details?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,644 ✭✭✭Kat1170

Wouldn't pay money for the art :rolleyes: they produce that I can see, never mind this invisible sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

This adequately sums up my opinion

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 969 ✭✭✭some random drunk

If this is art, then I think I'll start charging people to come into my house and watch me sitting on the toilet and taking a dump.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Fuck no.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭Zab

I'm actually hosting a pre-exhibition showing of all these pieces in my gaff. It's only a fiver in if anybody's interested.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

If this is art, then I think I'll start charging people to come into my house and watch me sitting on the toilet and taking a dump.

*** NEWSFLASH ***

"Some Random Drunk Takes Some Random Dunk"

IM0 wrote: »

I see your point. Agreed that this has to stop, full-stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

I've got a brand new invisible Ferrari Enzo for sale. Only €500.

First-come first-served.

NB: It's a steering wheel. The car itself will materialise as you walk around holding the steering wheel. May require a certain degree of imagination.

The should play some classical music like composer John Cage's "4′33″"as people walk around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

I often find myself angry at the state of Western society. People around the world are starving to death, dying in horrible shitty conflicts for no good reason, or denied even the most basic human rights.

And then we have these assholes. Doing this asshole stuff. Assholes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I wonder would they notice if I stole a piece and sold it on the black market?

"Yes, it's a 'Warhol'. It's worth millions, but it's yours for 20k."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

****ing hell. They should rename the exhibit the 'international tossers exhibition'. What kind of lunatic would go to that?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭FreddysFace

Ar$ehole carry on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

I'm still half convinced it's a wind-up, but the concept stands. this place seems to be charging £8 sterling to go view "art" pieces that you can't actually see. So what does after hours think of this?

I'd say this is like having a **** and then paying somebody for the privelege.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭rusty_racer94

The first (and the last) time I went to an exhibition was about a few months ago for my Leaving Cert art course. And to be honest, it was all a load of rubbish and only made sense to artist and my art teacher. It was meant to raise fear of your inner thoughts and God knows how it was meant to do that!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭FreddysFace

emperor's new clothes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭bnt

"I've been doing a lot of abstract painting lately. Extremely abstract. No brush, no paint, no canvas; I just think about it."
    -- Steven Wright

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

its nothing new, I myself spent most of my fortune acquiring the unknown invisible works by all the greats, on the black market - have a Da Vinci, a Picasso, Rembrandt, and the list goes on.
    If anyone is interested in viewing them, my cover charge is a little pricier at 1000 Euros, but you just cant beat the subtle complexities of the master hand.

invisible art - sounds like people who cannot do or teach, but can pretend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭steve9859

1000 Hours of Staring is a blank piece of paper at which artist Tom Friedman has stared repeatedly over the space of five years

W.T.F.??????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I really need to start making any old sh1te and calling it art. pretentious assholes are a goldmine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

Move along folks...nothing to see h

Hold on,What the fluck was that?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭dominiquecruz

I think there's something interesting behind this; interesting enough that I would even consider going, just to be a part of it.

Think about how ridiculous it is. Only in 21st century Western society would people pay to see invisible art. It's like the 'Emperor's New Clothes' with a real-life application. This is where the abstract of modern art has lead us; art that is so out there that it's not even.. there. In a few years time, when we've eventually revolted against the inaccessibility of contemporary art and we're painting in the romantic/realist trends of centuries gone by, people might look back at this as the period when our own inflated egos had deceived us into paying money (wasting precious time) to look at pictures that were never there. It's a snapshot of what happens when you allow 'art' to encompass almost everything. Hopefully, it might mark a turning point.

*Disclaimer: I am not a pretentious wankbag*

Advertisement