Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Looming Irish Bank Run

Options
  • 18-05-2012 7:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 27

What is the daily limit for withdrawing money from an ordinary deposit account? I have decided to pull my entire 100k savings because of the potential implications of contagion on my savings. I have drained a total of EUR3,000 today but can I go above this?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Someone with 100k in the bank should know where to get decent information from, and shouldn't need advice from anonymous people on the internet.

Is the 3k under the matress as we speak?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,435 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

syklops wrote: »
    Someone with 100k in the bank should know where to get decent information

If they have 100K sitting in a demand a/c I wouldn't jump to that conclusion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 NoAnimalID

coylemj wrote: »

It's a joint a/c and we can withdraw like anyone else. We aren't in debt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭AltAccount

Why not get get the whole amount transferred to another account?

Keep withdrawing in that pattern and you'll probably get flagged for money laundering.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,319 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

What are you doing with it when you withdraw it? Most notes from Irish banks will be identifiably Irish in origin. In the event of a euro break up, most likely they would not be f the same value or treated alike with notes issued in Germany. If you're truly worried, take it all out and buy German Government bonds (physically held if possible) or deposit in a number of German banks (likely to require a trip).

• Advertisement

AltAccount,

I read that if one withdraws EUR15,000 or more then this automatically tips off the money laundering officer. This will not deter me from withdrawing my own money given my concerns about contagion with the Bank runs in Greece and Spain. Transferring it will entail charges, taxes, levies etc. Withdrawing it is the lesser of two evils.

Marcusm,

I am not concerned about a euro break-up because the Euro will always be there. I'm not trying to create any scare but it opens the possibility of our country leaving the EZ thus wiping out my savings if we revert to a weaker currency. I'm not interested in buying German bunds either. I'm simply keeping my cash savings somewhere safe at Home. The Bank is giving me 500EUR notes which mean less ''heaps'' of cash to carry and store.

NoAnimalID wrote: »
    AltAccount,

I read that if one withdraws EUR15,000 or more then this automatically tips off the money laundering officer. This will not deter me from withdrawing my own money given my concerns about contagion with the Bank runs in Greece and Spain. Transferring it will entail charges, taxes, levies etc. Withdrawing it is the lesser of two evils.

If you include the security risk of physically holding that much cash versus the charges, how does it measure up?
    Do you know how much the charges will be?

Withdrawing it is the lesser of two evils. My money matters in case of any scenario. I store it in a secure location near my house. I have a 3 surveillance cameras at my house so obviously no security issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Withdrawing it is the lesser of two evils. My money matters in case of any scenario. I store it in a secure location near my house. I have a 3 surveillance cameras at my house so obviously no security issue.

Brilliant!!! Absolute genius!!!!

Now if only banks, secure transport companies, jewellers and the likes knew that having security camera's wipes out all security issues in one foul swoop.

Maybe someone should tell them?

• Advertisement

So, what currency are you storing it in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

What is the daily limit for withdrawing money from an ordinary deposit account? I have decided to pull my entire 100k savings because of the potential implications of contagion on my savings. I have drained a total of EUR3,000 today but can I go above this?

OP i'm gonna take you at face value-though i've my doubts!
    You can take it all out at once but you've to give a few days notice.

Your 'security measures' are a complete joke. if the moneys swiped all the cameras wont get it back.

If you're determined to keep it in cash, you ought look at opening a german bank a/c. you can do this by travelling over directly or sorting it here and getting paperwork rubber stamped by the german embassy.
    A broker i deal with offered to do this for me waiving his fee.

You really ought approach a broker and get appropriate advice

ffs dont be storing cash in your 'secure location'.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

coylemj wrote: »

thats a bit harsh. maybe op needs access to buy property, fund kids in college etc............

I'd say theres plenty lads who bought bank shares and other investments who wish they stuck with cash. it's a pet hate of mine when i hear this 'eddie hobbs' attitude about loosing money by saving it because it's being eroded by inflation. so as opposed to 'loosing' 1% you end up loosing more cos you've invested in a bull sh1t fund.

I'm afraid that my savings could evaporate in the wake of the country's debt crisis and political stalemate. I am not the only one pulling a staggering amount of money out of my savings account. Greek banks have been hemorrhaging money lately at the rate of one billion euros a day. Irish Banks are weak and vulnerable in my opinion.

IF you're worried about the banks, move it to a non-Irish bank. If you're worried about the Euro, hiding it in your shed isn't going to protect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

See the sticky about speculative threads like this.

For those who want to discuss the broader economic issues, please visit the Irish Economy forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement