Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Its hard being a first time director did anyone in the past feel the same way?

• 18-05-2012 7:21pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭

Did my first play with my local amateur group. It was a nightmare trying to get four males for the play I had to take on a role myself which I was not happy about. I know I can't direct and act at the same time! I found tough coming up against tempermental and egotestic personalities. One drunken actor at one rehearsel. The dress rehearsel was an embarrassment but yet the nights went well bar me when i exited pass the side curtain and hit on a step that had wheels and rolled then fell against the side of the stage!
    The second night I went off stage and came back with my glasses on (because i was reading a script with another person) and skipped a line. One of my actors was a director and was suppossed to show me how to do things but apparently he was more worried about his other one act and acting in my play. It was great advise from another director who was directing this year but doing lights. At least I got advise off someone anyone get the 'rough edge' when directing for the first time ever?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

I directed a musical revue for a 3 night stint. I knew all the cast as I'd worked with them before as Stage Manager and Production Manager and they all knew this was my first show. Being honest my main problem was me. The cast were all very professional (this was a professional production though) and listened and took direction very well and they were very gracious about putting in their own ideas (which they should do as it's their own character). The only one who gave me any bit of trouble was one lady who was very demanding in what she needed and wanted - both on and off stage. But we all worked around her in the best way possible.

When I say the main problem was me, it was a confidence thing. Which it sounds like you sort of had too. I was worried every time I gave a direction or everytime I choreographed a dance move that they would laugh at me or sneer (a huge hangover from school). But I pushed on and we all had a good time and did a wonderful job (I think). It was a confidence boost. And I can't wait to do it again.

It is always going to be hard at anything the first time. But it sounds like you did a good job under enormous pressure - espicially having to be in the show as well - so well done. Pat on the back man! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 234 ✭✭upncmnhistori

Thanks Nicowa - Pat on the back to you too. I suppose it was bit of a cofidence problem as one of the main leads walked out (a good actor though) on the first rehearsel due to lack of cast. It sounds on like you took a lot more such as directing and choreography.

The funny thing as 'rough' as it was and i said the words aloud on the last night 'I will never direct again!' I feel for some reason I want to go back. I found it strange that more people said well done bar a few I know telling me about my 'toss' of stage. One thing I felt was older actors don't like being directed by younger directors! Maybe that will change if there is a next time.

Completely agree about older actors. But you just have to keep going I suppose. I really want to do it again but my circumstances have completely changed since then and I'm feeling more out of the loop than anything else. I'm looking into finding a job at the moment and I might think about it after that.

welcome to my world - job hunting is crap these days!

welcome to my world - job hunting is crap these days!

What do you do? I'm assuming Directing given the thread we're in. In my job search I'm mainly looking for Producing roles as I don't see Director roles being advertised except in large scale roles - something I know I don't have the experience for just yet. I know I need to go out and meet people in the scene - as it were - but it's difficult at the moment and going to get more difficult. Just got to get my head in the game I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6 guihane

I am directing for the first time and am very nervous about it. It is a collection of small scenes 2 - 10 mins long & I have a cast of 13. I have been acting all my life & I have always wanted to direct. Half the cast is very experienced & half the cast is new. So, each has it's own difficulties.

The worst thing is I have only 4 weeks to pull this off, usually we rehearse for 3 months as we are an amateur group. I also have the board or directors of the theatre to keep happy. Have ye any tips to calm my nerves?

Nicowa I am actually an unemployed honours graduate (suprise, suprise) in heritage studies. I directed in an amateur group because it was local near me and I always wanted to do it.

Guihane it is a very nervewrecking job and I have been there but thankfully the actors were experienced - you may have friends in the group you directing (the experienced ones) may help you out on the side. If it wasn't for the ladies on the committee my play would have been screwed but I do think you are put under fierce pressure for a 4 week preparation in my view you should be at least give 2 -3 months to prepare these things.

Prepare. If you're sure of what you want to achieve it'll make you more confident. But don't be afraid of going with the flow either if you suddenly realise something isn't working. Take 5 and go again. :D And good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 nikkime

If Id give any advice - make sure you spend time with each of the actors separately at some stage - talk about the character theyre playing and make sure they understand the role...if theyve any problems you need to get them ironed out asap - but also you need to build a bond with all your actors...

Other than that - always make sure youre on time and be seen to be as professional as you can and be willing to spend a bit more time reading with any of the more nervous actors or those that may have a lot of lines....

You need to be thinking about all the angles - and get someone very organised to help you!

• Advertisement

Nikime thank you for the advise. To be honest I got support but I felt at the same time I didn't get enough support that was needed. As a professional actress has said to me lately she steers away from amateur (excuse spelling if wrong) productions because she finds a lot of 'divas' in them. She has told me that you just get on with it if your a professional actress simply because if you don't - NO INCOME! I know that has nothing to do with directing but I suppose I could direct perhaps with a different group and see if I can 'redeem' myself and see if there is an artist in me as I have been thinking of late.
    To be honest being a Director is no picnic. I wish best of luck/break leg to all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48 nikkime

Yeh thats kinda true - but you also find really good people to work with - I suppose experience will eventually help you figure out the good from the bad...

another tip is also to try and emulate your fave scenes from movies - even a 1 or 2 minute scene would teach you loads...and its also good for actors to see themselves in a role done by a professional so they can compare the two...

I think alot of amateurs try and do everything "originally" before perfecting their craft and 99% of the time are frustrated because it never comes out like they planned...theres no harm in mimicking something thats beautifully done as an homage - for both a great learning experience and a bit of fun!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Directing my first full length show atm, but I've had training and shadowed a professional director, and done other stuff but here's my two cents:

Get a sound practical guide – I’d recommend ‘The Director’s Craft’ by Katie Mitchell – a pure hands-on practical way to prepare and breakdown a text from pre-production through to the rehearsal process and on to the creative steps necessary to take a show up to and beyond opening night.

When working on scenes (borrowing from Mitchell) break them down into events. A typical contemporary scene of 10 pages might have eight to twelve events. Events are objective discoveries that change the intentions of all characters present in a scene. Intentions are the character goals that actors are playing at the precise moment – an intention might be “I want to get that gun from him” but the event might be the “prison guard announces summary executions for any future theft of food”. Sitting down with actors and breaking down scenes, labelling events and discussing intentions made all the difference for me, it helped me get inside the actor’s minds and give them their motivations at different points in the scenes, allowing them make stronger decisions and to be more ‘in the moment’.

Then there are obvious things like giving clear notes to the actors, avoiding things like ‘but be more intense!’ Always go for the intention and hone in on ‘bridges’—the words or phrases that events turn on.

Other than that I’d suggest making the text the mediator between any possible conflict, allow actors leeway to play a scene on instinct but be strong enough to intervene and have them play it to your liking once you make the case that you’re balancing scene work with long-term vision. Also, you’re the boss—a friendly diplomatic boss, but the boss nevertheless. You have final say.

Good luck!

Advertisement