Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAI & Limerick

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Jofspring wrote: »
    More and more revenue being lost to the League and Irish football as a whole. The precendent I mention above would leave Irish football without a leg to stand on and there would be no need to involve Irish football at any level in any money making when it comes to big glamour friendlies. Gone would be the days of Shamrock Rovers vs Real Madrid, Cork City vs Sunderland, Cobh Ramblers vs Manchester Untied, Waterford vs Liverpool FC.
    They are pretty much gone already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

kippy wrote: »
    They are pretty much gone already.

Definitely not. Limerick FC have permission to hold one a year in Thomond Park. No reason Limerick FC couldn't come to an agreement with a top team for a glamour friendly. Already Limerick are trying to set decent ground work for a friendly against Liverpool. It was only last year Waterford played them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kizmax

Protection yes
    But from a chief executive takes nearly a million euro a year Inc xs
    And fly's up front all over the world while by your own opinion the fai and the clubs need money
    We don't need protection from the outside
    It's from the inside we need protection. '!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Anybody defending the FAI on this is suffering from tunnell vision, I see there are plenty of those people out and about on forums today

Lets get some perspective

Soccer ( football ) is the most played and watched sport in the country, yet,
    The FAI are the most finacially challenged organisation
    There are at least two Premier League teams in serious trouble at this very moment, at least half a dozen of the countrys clubs have gone bankrupt in the last few seasons
    Gates are rarely over 2,500 in the premier league
    65 was the attendance at a recent fixture I believe
    The AVIVA will return to full IRFU ownership in the coming years ( have no doubt )

Yet

We have the best paid CEO on the continent

Who has overseen

The worst managerial appointments in Irish football history ( Brian Kerr and Steve Staunton )
    The Barcelona debacle ( this should have seen him sacked there and then )
    The state of facilities for soccer in this country are shockingly poor ( compared with GAA and Irfu )
    Now this thomond park tournament debacle

And no one has challenged his authority.

Why can't the FAI allow a tournament like this go ahead every year and take a % of profits to be agreed with organiser, this money unfortunately will have to go toward the AVIVA, whereby it should go to clubs.

I see from a few other forums a lot of LOI supporters agree with the FAI on this...it explains why the sport in this country is so f****d.

Nobody wants John Delaney there and to be honest that is a total different argument.

Yes the FAI should try get some percentage from tournaments like this but they wouldn't be so didn't sanction it.

The debate isn't about how terribly run the FAI are. The debate is about whether the FAI were right to stop a separate organisation setting up a footballing money maker without them involved which they were.

Any other problems with the FAI is a totally different beast. One which is discussed thousands of times amongst the footballing community in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 kizmax

To the others who are agreeing with that cretin in Dublin
    I say not only is he responsible for the poor facilities around the country
    But he he also about to be brought to task about 19 million euros he borrowed last year to keep the ship afloat
    When that comes out and it will this week '!'!'!!!!!!!
    Euro or no euro he will be gone
    Even he can't survive mismanagement like that .
    He's just enjoying the ride while the clubs suffer and he blames things ,like this tournament
    Bull s'!!!!

kizmax wrote: »
    Protection yes
    But from a chief executive takes nearly a million euro a year Inc xs
    And fly's up front all over the world while by your own opinion the fai and the clubs need money
    We don't need protection from the outside
    It's from the inside we need protection. '!!!!!!!

I think every league of Ireland fan would agree with you about that.

kizmax wrote: »
    To the others who are agreeing with that cretin in Dublin
    I say not only is he responsible for the poor facilities around the country
    But he he also about to be brought to task about 19 million euros he borrowed last year to keep the ship afloat
    When that comes out and it will this week '!'!'!!!!!!!
    Euro or no euro he will be gone
    Even he can't survive mismanagement like that .
    He's just enjoying the ride while the clubs suffer and he blames things ,like this tournament
    Bull s'!!!!

I hope your right and we see the back of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Silentcorner, lets recap some of your comments in this thread so far.
    They're a monument to ignorant indignant condescension.
    I'm afraid you are wrong, while an outside company are organising this, Limerick FC will be the "hosts" if you will, the outside company will make money but most importantly so will Limerick FC ( this has the added bonus of financial stability for a LOI side for the FAI ) this is a huge earner for Limerick FC

I'm sorry if it sounds condesending, you may not be aware of all the facts
    Get your head out of the sand you are simply wrong
    We'll just say you are correct and Limerick FC have no involvement in this

And all that is assuming your are right that Limerick FC are not involved ( I strongly suspect you are wrong on this one)
    To those of you who are asking what proof I have to back up my claim that Limk FC are involved, I am merely joining the dots
    I know all about how football in this country works, and I don't feel the need to explain how I know, nor should I have to.

You have consistantly displayed your ignorance of how this has been handled

Despite your accusations that anybody disagreeing with you has tunnel vision, and your claims that you know all about football in the country, Jofspring explained the situation plain as bloody day for you - you even summarised it for yourself:
    So your saying that the only reason this tournament can't go ahead is because the FAI are in debt as a result of a terrible deal they struck on the Aviva?

It really is that simple. The FAI make money by organising friendlies and 'tournaments'. They are not willing to sanction games organised by another promotion company from which the FAI or any member clubs will receive nothing.

The economic boost for Limerick is not the FAI's concern. Their only concern is paying off debt.

Now, if you feel it's unfair that the FAI be in this position of power, then you should take your own advice and
    Get on to your local politician

Jofspring wrote: »
    Nobody wants John Delaney there and to be honest that is a total different argument.

Yes the FAI should try get some percentage from tournaments like this but they wouldn't be so didn't sanction it.

The debate isn't about how terribly run the FAI are. The debate is about whether the FAI were right to stop a separate organisation setting up a footballing money maker without them involved which they were.

Any other problems with the FAI is a totally different beast. One which is discussed thousands of times amongst the footballing community in Ireland.

This whole debacle is the fault of the FAI ( JD in particular ) it is not a totally different argument, his record is appalling but his rein continues through all the other debacles I mentioned without any threat to his authority, now Limerick is AGAIN losing out, yet you and other LOI supporters believe him to be right in this instance, if he didn't ask for a % of profits he should be sacked, surely as CEO of the organisation this would be the first thing you would ask for, in fact as CEO you should pitching a profit share arrangement with any organiser of such tournaments, the FAI are a joke, and anyone, and I mean anyone who defends this man/organisation is simply deluded

You say no one wants him there but yet no one has done anything to remove him
    If the clubs are not prepared to take him on then they deserve the turmoil that is LOI football
    Take a look at the IRFU, a money making machine, with a sport that up until 10 years ago had a fraction of the support soccer does.

You get the leader you deserve

• Advertisement

osarusan wrote: »
    Silentcorner, lets recap some of your comments in this thread so far.
    They're a monument to ignorant indignant condescension.

If I seem indignant then its probably cause I am, this tournament should be going ahead

Despite your accusations that anybody disagreeing with you has tunnel vision, and your claims that you know all about football in the country, Jofspring explained the situation plain as bloody day for you - you even summarised it for yourself:

I said anyone who agrees with the FAI on this issue has tunnel vision
    I merely pointed out that I know all about how football works because it was claimed I didn't, I disagreed with Jofspring because he is clearly in agreement with FAI on this issue

It really is that simple. The FAI make money by organising friendlies and 'tournaments'. They are not willing to sanction games organised by another promotion company from which the FAI or any member clubs will receive nothing.

I am well aware of this, but lets be honest the FAI aren't very good at it, it seems to me that JD is abusing his position,

The economic boost for Limerick is not the FAI's concern. Their only concern is paying off debt.

They simply don't know how to pay off debt

I'm not quiet sure why you highlighted my contribution to this thread, I am merely disagreeing with those who agree with the FAI on this issue, if my language offends you I apologise, I'm simply in a state of disbelief that anyone ( especially those from Limerick ) would argue a stance in favour of JDs desicion.

If I seem indignant then its probably cause I am, this tournament should be going ahead

but lets be honest the FAI aren't very good at it, it seems to me that JD is abusing his position,

I am merely disagreeing with those who agree with the FAI on this issue

I'm simply in a state of disbelief that anyone ( especially those from Limerick ) would argue a stance in favour of JDs desicion.
    Here's a post of mine from another thread:
    The FAI is the governing body for football in this country, and is responsible for the development of the sport.

Their decision not to sanction the Thomond tournament or any other match should be judged solely on whether or not the decision is in the best interests of the FAI and its members.

It's hard for me to see that there is any benefit for Irish football at all from a tournament involving only foreign teams in which none of the profit stays within Irish football.

As I see it, if you disagree with their decision not to sanction this event, you need to provide reasons why their decision is bad for the development of football in this country. That's the only criterion on which they should be judged.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,287 ✭✭✭source

but lets be honest the FAI aren't very good at it, it seems to me that JD is abusing his position,

I am merely disagreeing with those who agree with the FAI on this issue

I'm simply in a state of disbelief that anyone ( especially those from Limerick ) would argue a stance in favour of JDs desicion.
    The FAI is the governing body for football in this country, and is responsible for the development of the sport.

Their decision not to sanction the Thomond tournament or any other match should be judged solely on whether or not the decision is in the best interests of the FAI and its members.

It's hard for me to see that there is any benefit for Irish football at all from a tournament involving only foreign teams in which none of the profit stays within Irish football.

As I see it, if you disagree with their decision not to sanction this event, you need to provide reasons why their decision is bad for the development of football in this country. That's the only criterion on which they should be judged.

I'm not even a fan of soccer but even I can see how this could be beneficial to soccer in this country.

Thomond park holds 26,000 people, which for a game like this a great many will be children. Who will see the top level players of the sport in action on the pitch in front of them. This will only do good for the enthusiasm of the kids for the sport and drive them to better their game, it might wen help a few people like me get interested in the sport.

These games will also raise the profile of soccer in a city which can only be described as rugby mad, again good for soccer in Ireland.

It will also bring a large number of visiting fans to the city, which will provide a vital cash injection to a city on its knees.

The only negative I can think of ( and this is would be from the FAIs point of view) is that the tournament isn't happening in Dublin/their own stadium.

Ok

Currently no more than 12,000 people a week attend all LOI matches between the two divisions (a terrible figure )

Despite the huge support for football on this island ( pop 4million+)

On this weekend you could add a further 50,000 football supporters thru turnstiles to watch football

Is that not what football needs ( more people watching and therefore playing )

The example of a rugby tournament was mentioned earlier in the thread, you can bet ur bottom dollar they would negotiate a slice of the action ( I am aware that the IRFU take a slice of the numerous rugby tournaments around the country )

Rugby has surpassed football in this country as a spectator sport, it is up to the FAI to address this, they have failed miserably

I think the argument you (and 'source') have made that people going to games means more people watching and hopefully playing football is a good thing is just too simplistic.

Football is the most played sport in Ireland, ahead of GAA and rugby.Yet, as you have pointed out, despite the overall level interest in football being high, the level of interest in LOI is very low.

One reason for this is the extent to which Irish football fans support teams outside Ireland - mainly EPL teams, with Celtic a popular club too.

Bringing these clubs to Limerick for a tournament is more likely to result in people getting interested in the clubs in question, rather than sparking an interest in the LOI. So, rather than thinking that more interest in football is a good thing, my opinion is that more people interested in clubs like Chelsea and Celtic is a bad thing.

I'm not even a fan of the silly tournaments in the Aviva where a LOI representative team gets battered by an EPL team like Man United in front of a stadium of fans cheering on an EPL team against an Irish one, but at least the money made is staying in Irish football. I see these Aviva tournaments/friendlies as a necessary evil.

The Thomond one is an unnecessary evil.

Advertisement