Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Euro 2012!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

kitakyushu wrote: »
    To me it suggests a chessboard, a game of intelligence and skill, highly tactical and where every move is measured and thoughtfully made ... much like Croatia's game perhaps?

Dunno why but it just reminded me of this:
    Svennis would place us like chess pieces on the training pitch,’ the midfielder Glenn Schiller said. ‘“You stand here, you go there,” and so on… The biggest problem was fitting all the pieces together and getting them to move in harmony.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,249 ✭✭✭✭briany

kitakyushu wrote: »
    To me it suggests a chessboard, a game of intelligence and skill, highly tactical and where every move is measured and thoughtfully made ... much like Croatia's game perhaps?

By comparison Ireland should get a jersey that reminds one of the popular 70's and 80's game "pass the parcel in a Belfast pub" in order to accurately reflect our cultured passing style.

No, I think to accurately reflect Ireland's game in a jersey you'd need a sketch of John O' Shea kicking an Armenian player up the hole on the front and Eamonn Dunphy's frowning face on the back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

Hooliganism in the Ukranian parliament yesterday

Spain away jersey for tournament.

50ad11dc8fd743a725bb8f7cfbfcffb3.jpg

3931533bc6222533958c08673f7257cf.jpg

492db8de31ec7ecbe3869f643b42ccb7.jpg

England's new manager:

article-1290137-0A3AF8F5000005DC-389_468x324.jpg

cupmain_1074410a.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I went into the bookies yesterday to see the odds for Euro 2012. I couldn't believe it when I saw France were 100/1. Fantastic odds - definitely worth an each-way bet. Went up to the counter and saw it was the odds for Eurovision :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

The first in a series of predictions I'm writing for the Euros: http://gkfootball.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/euro-2012-predictions-part-1.html

What do you think of my view on Gerrard?

it looks as though it won't be the most interesting tactically as some tournaments that have been and gone

Why do you say this?

Hodgson is an avid supporter of the 4-4-2 system

Just watched that video you linked and couldn't help but laugh when he drew this on the board :D

2iqe4p4.png

I'm guessing that the reason he's being very simplistic in the way he's explaining the formation is down to him not giving everything away - if not, then that's a little scary :/

And fwiw, I see them not making it out of that group, and not just because of Gerrard but because of a number of players in that team.

Renn wrote: »
    Why do you say this?

By which I mean it seems most teams are settled on their 4-2-3-1/4-3-3/4-4-2. We know what to expect from everyone except Italy.
    I'm guessing that the reason he's being very simplistic in the way he's explaining the formation is down to him not giving everything away - if not, then that's a little scary

If you mean the video - it was recorded years ago.
    And fwiw, I see them not making it out of that group, and not just because of Gerrard but because of a number of players in that team.

Who else?

Well I just don't think that group of players amount to much at all. Defence looks weak - guessing it's going to be Johnson - Cahill - Terry - Cole. I know Chelsea won two cups this year but defensively they haven't looked particularly solid. They still managed to allow so many chances vs them. It wasn't down to Chelsea's defence that won them the Champions League - it was down to Bayern Munich missing easy opportunities. Maybe they'll get lucky in the Euros but I highly doubt it. Cole is the only one there that's an outstanding player.

Same goes for midfield, a whole load of meh. Cannot believe I'm seeing Downing's name there but that just goes to show the lack of imagination from the coaching staff. There's a number of players there that have proved before that they cannot handle tournaments/better organised teams/superior passing teams. Again, maybe the long ball will work but I can't see that working.

Up front they're missing Rooney for their first two games so they'll be relying on Carroll and Welbeck to provide the goods. Carroll has been horrendous this season, 4 goals in 35 league games and Welbeck has 9 in 30 for United. Far too weak imo.

• Advertisement

Fair points across the board there.

My only quibble is over Welbeck, who I seem to rate more than the United fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Had an epiphany last night.

Ireland could win the Euros without winning a match (even without scoring a goal).
    Draw our three group games and squeeze through in second place. Draw three more games with a bit of run good on the penalty shoot outs.

What an epic way to win. Could even do it without ever scoring a goal. A true win for the ages.

/green cape on
    /fingers and toes crossed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Paul McShane looking good to travel to the Euros. What a complete and utter joke of a defender. If he starts it's game over.

Tbf to McShane, I think he gets too hard a time from people. It's not as if he's much worse than the others in defence there. Is Darren O'Dea that much better? Kevin Foley? Stephen Kelly? Stephen Ward?

He's been brought as backup, I don't see what the big deal is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Denmark have been shocking so far in their friendly. I was expecting much better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Tbf to McShane, I think he gets too hard a time from people. It's not as if he's much worse than the others in defence there. Is Darren O'Dea that much better? Kevin Foley? Stephen Kelly? Stephen Ward?

The fact Ciaran Clark and Marc Wilson can't get into the squad over him is the problem.

• Advertisement

But what about the others I mentioned that are in the squad?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Can we not leave the Ireland talk in the massive Ireland thread?

I think the OP wants this thread to be less heated.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

I think McShane's hair just makes him more hideous,I mean the hairband :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Rte should be showing all 31 games live yeah ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dirtyden

Apart from the last set if group games which will be played concurrently they will show every game live (I think they will show deferred coverage though).

Not long left now!!!!!!!!!!!

• Advertisement

This is what happens to Germany when they wear the Ireland shirt

darkman2 wrote: »
    This is what happens to Germany when they wear the Ireland shirt

I'd just like to say to the Swiss team; congrats on your unexpected win over Germany and nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah, Ireland are in the Euros and you aren't! That'll teach ye to talk sh*te to Kevin Kilbane at the end of a 2-0 victory over Ireland in Basel circa 2003 to knock them out of Euro 2004 and then hold Ireland to a dreary draw to knock them out of the WC in 2005 and......

*Door slams, continued muffled ranting*

Originally Posted by Coletrickle88 View Post

They'll probably do what they did for the last World Cup in the final set of group games and have the second game as a web only steam that runs concurrently with the main broadcast. Probably take a look at it in the form of highlights as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Lads, we got 3 points from Croatia last night.. Just saying :pac:

France 2 - 0 down at half time at home to Iceland. Absolutely shocking at the back - not convinced with Rami and Mexes (get Kos on!) Nice interplay up front between Benzema, Menes, Nasri and Ben-Arfa but Iceland are very well organised defensively. Something you can't say about France. Caroll will have a field day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

france are unbeaten in 18 before tonight too.

Spain 23 for Euro 2012. They're gonna struggle.:P

acAZe.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Any Excuse:

batistuta9 wrote: »

No m'Vila tonight

Fantastic finish from Ribery to make it 2 - 2. Assist from Giroud

EDIT: another assist from Giroud for Rami to put France ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

batistuta9 wrote: »

make that 19. vive la france

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

just been watching Polish news there and they reckon the weather is going to be as hot as it can get over there!

wont suit the players at all.

19 arrests made over the match-fixing allegations in Italy.

Italy surely favourites for the Euros now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Enda is probably on the phone to Trap right now
    "Whatever they offer just take it. We're smashed"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

The calciopoli scandal broke in 2006, and we all know what happened then...

Yup, surprised they haven't gone odds-on at this stage.

Any current Italian internationals in the 19 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭carlop

greendom wrote: »
    Any current Italian internationals in the 19 ?

Criscito, though I'm not sure if he's actually been arrested or just interrogated.

Afaik, Criscito hasn't been arrested.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Always wear sun screen! Just looking at the charts from the start of the euros - 30C and sunny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

just been watching Polish news there and they reckon the weather is going to be as hot as it can get over there!

Thats great news :rolleyes: I'm struggling in this weather at the moment so God help me over there!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

A week of hot weather and consuming little else but beer.

What can possibly go wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

I don't think it is as big a feature as before. The conditioning of this Irish team is UNREAL. Seemingly the fitness training alone in the Irish camp has been taken up several notches. The camp is in italy for a very good reason. It will be like playing in the AUL in October for these boys! :D

For those of you less conditioned who are going swilling beer for three weeks. One word. Dioralyte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Our draw is a nice little bonus in that regard - three late kickoffs.

I don't think it is as big a feature as before. The conditioning of this Irish team is UNREAL. Seemingly the fitness training alone in the Irish camp has been taken up several notches. The camp is in italy for a very good reason. It will be like playing in the AUL in October for these boys! :D

For those of you less conditioned who are going swilling beer for three weeks. One word. Dioralyte.

The team suffered the blazing midday heat at USA '94 and more than a few have opined that it was a factor in Ireland's exit from that tournament. iWhat kind of temperatures can we expect in Poland around early evening time? Would the heat factor into the team's tactics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Criscito hasn't been arrested, he's just being investigated, he's been dropped today over the scandal regardless.

• Advertisement

BBC Euro 2012 trailer

Out of curiosity does anyone know what the split is between ITV and BBC for showing the Ireland group matches? Looking forward to "Roy's" analysis :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

darkman2 wrote: »
    Out of curiosity does anyone know what the split is between ITV and BBC for showing the Ireland group matches? Looking forward to "Roy's" analysis :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/european-championship/2012/groups-schedule

If there is a pattern it seems like they're swapping afternoon-evening each day and then BBC get all sat games and ITV get all Sunday games. Double headers appear to be the exception.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Beefy78 wrote: »
    A week of hot weather and consuming little else but beer.

What can possibly go wrong?

English fans!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

killwill wrote: »
    English fans!!!

The English fans are like Angels compared to the Ukranian Hooligans .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

The English fans are like Angels compared to the Ukranian Hooligans .

Yeah definitely, I was not really referring to hooliganism though, more just messy drinking.

As far as the hooligans go, the Eastern Europe teams supporters will keep the English ones quiet.

• Advertisement
Advertisement