Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Euro 2012!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

killwill wrote: »
    English fans!!!

Being English, I won't take that personally ;)

I am rather concerned about the potential for hooliganism though. We're staying in Warsaw so a long way from the England fans but you've got to think that Poland vs Russia could kick off. And whilst I wouldn't dream of tarring all Eastern Europeans (or Central Europeans in the case of Poles) with the same brush, the guy I'm travelling with is Black and frankly I'm going to be keeping my wits about me. Really just want to enjoy the beer and the football.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Beefy78 wrote: »
    A week of hot weather and consuming little else but beer.

What can possibly go wrong?

Its gonna be one serious session. Hopefully a celebratory session rather than a sorrow drowning session.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

The English fans are like Angels compared to the Ukranian Hooligans .

Just like with their major sports, hooliganism was a gift England gave to the world, but now they're being thought how it's done by foreigners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Being English, I won't take that personally ;)

Ah just a joke, I typed that with an English mate beside me.
    I spent half my life watching english football and english tv. If I was really against all things english that would not happen!

Anyways, is there not a boards.co.uk for your type???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

killwill wrote: »
    Ah just a joke, I typed that with an English mate beside me.
    I spent half my life watching english football and english tv. If I was really against all things english that would not happen!

Anyways, is there not a boards.co.uk for your type???

Too many hooligans

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

All I can say is thank fúck we did not end up in Ukraine for the group stage.

darkman2 wrote: »
    All I can say is thank fúck we did not end up in Ukraine for the group stage.

Yeah but we'll still have to go there for the final tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Gareth Barry out of the Euro's, Phil Jagielka called into sqaud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Did Parker get through the Norway game ok? His fitness will be paramount for them now. I've never been a fan of Barry, but he had a very solid final few months for City. Englands midfield looks very very thin now if Jagielka is considered backup for Gerrard, Parker, Lampard etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yeah Parker looked fine on Saturday. The treatment he's had seems to have worked perfectly.

Jags isn't considered back up for the midfielders. He's now back up for the defenders and Phil Jones will be contesting a midfield place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Lauder

Interesting omen that the Irish football squad used the exact same plane registration G-RAJJ to fly to Italy for pre Euro2012 training, as HM the Queen arrived in Ireland on!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/5731318914/ with the Queen.

And with the Irish team! http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0527/media-3299408.html#

Strange co-incidence...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Just like with their major sports, hooliganism was a gift England gave to the world, but now they're being thought how it's done by foreigners.

Really? I think you will struggle to find many English football fans who are aware of even the most basic dynamics of football violence abroad. I don't think many would suggest that England is being taught anything by these people. Their existence is, apart from on Bravo TV, mainly unnoticed.

Moreover, if other nations and societies have problems with violence at football, that is their issue alone, born out of their social circumstances. To suggest that these nations should think of hooliganism as a gift from England (and what you are really trying to say, is blame England in part for its existence) is wide of the mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Lauder wrote: »
    Interesting omen that the Irish football squad used the exact same plane registration G-RAJJ to fly to Italy for pre Euro2012 training, as HM the Queen arrived in Ireland on!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eigjb/5731318914/ with the Queen.

And with the Irish team! http://www.rte.ie/news/av/2012/0527/media-3299408.html#

Strange co-incidence...

what has this got to do with anything?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Two of our players selected in the underappreciated XI - hip hip hurrah :)

http://footballanalysis.org/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,645 ✭✭✭Daemos

Another international tournament, another quest to find the best wallchart for the occasion. Have to say, the one that comes with the RTE Guide this week is quite nice. Any other decent ones doing the rounds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Having watched some of the beeb Panorama about the racist stuff in the Ukraine . I than saw this in the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/european-championships-2012/9298777/Euro-2012-Mario-Balotelli-says-he-will-walk-off-the-pitch-if-he-is-racially-abused-in-Poland-and-Ukraine.html

I think Balotelli is a bit of a nutter , but on this issue I totally support him

Interestingly I worked in the Ukraine quite a bit in 2004 , and that included Kharkiv , I didn#t encounter any problems , ( although I am white ) I thought the place to be pretty nice , bit underdeveloped and very corrupt but quite nice. The people were like Russians but with a smile .

France 2 - 0 up against Serbia after half an hour (Ribery and Malouda). More importantly M'Vila has left the field injured and could be out of the Euros. Massive blow for France if true.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Davidth88 wrote: »
    Having watched some of the beeb Panorama about the racist stuff in the Ukraine . I than saw this in the Daily Telegraph

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/competitions/european-championships-2012/9298777/Euro-2012-Mario-Balotelli-says-he-will-walk-off-the-pitch-if-he-is-racially-abused-in-Poland-and-Ukraine.html

I think Balotelli is a bit of a nutter , but on this issue I totally support him
    The problem is the Italian fans are just as likely to do it to him as the Polish/Ukranians.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

greendom wrote: »
    France 2 - 0 up against Serbia after half an hour (Ribery and Malouda). More importantly M'Vila has left the field injured and could be out of the Euros. Massive blow for France if true.

A real shame. I saw a bit about him on the magazine show on RTE, about a month ago. Came across as a classy guy, unlike the image of a lot of his international team mates in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

Daemos wrote: »
    Another international tournament, another quest to find the best wallchart for the occasion. Have to say, the one that comes with the RTE Guide this week is quite nice. Any other decent ones doing the rounds?

Got a lovely one form my local ITICA chipper about a month ago! Had a lovely picture of Trap eating a bag of chips on it and all, been up on the fridge ever since, pity I won't be around to fill it in :D

10 days!

National Squad No. of players playing in home leagues
    England 23
    Russia 21
    Ukraine 21
    Italy 20
    Spain 19
    Germany 19
    Greece 16
    France 12
    Portugal 10
    Czech Republic 8
    Denmark 7
    Netherlands 7
    Poland 6
    Croatia 4
    Sweden 3
    Republic of Ireland 0

no big surprised that ireland have none

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

batistuta9 wrote: »
    England 23
    Russia 21
    Ukraine 21
    Italy 20
    Spain 19
    Germany 19
    Greece 16
    France 12
    Portugal 10
    Czech Republic 8
    Denmark 7
    Netherlands 7
    Poland 6
    Croatia 4
    Sweden 3
    Republic of Ireland 0

No surprise is right but then if Trap is picking Paul Green, a LoI call up feels like it's worryingly near....

England 23
    Russia 21
    Ukraine 21
    Italy 20
    Spain 19
    Germany 19
    Greece 16
    France 12
    Portugal 10
    Czech Republic 8
    Denmark 7
    Netherlands 7
    Poland 6
    Croatia 4
    Sweden 3
    Republic of Ireland 0

No surprises alright. Of the countries that qualified 10 are the top 10 domestic leagues in Europe. Five more in the 10's and 20s and the Rep.Ireland league is way down at 33.

One small bit of glory the League of Ireland can claim is that the squad has 5 former LOI players in it (it would have been six with Fahy). That is miles ahead of any previous squad that qualified for a finals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Davidth88 wrote: »

Interestingly I worked in the Ukraine quite a bit in 2004 , and that included Kharkiv , I didn#t encounter any problems , ( although I am white ) I thought the place to be pretty nice , bit underdeveloped and very corrupt but quite nice. The people were like Russians but with a smile .

Fyffes are giving thousands of inflatable bananas :/

Italy game should be interesting

• Advertisement

No surprises alright. Of the countries that qualified 10 are the top 10 domestic leagues in Europe. Five more in the 10's and 20s and the Rep.Ireland league is way down at 33.

One small bit of glory the League of Ireland can claim is that the squad has 5 former LOI players in it (it would have been six with Fahy). That is miles ahead of any previous squad that qualified for a finals.

yeah the lowest bar ireland in the coefficients is sweden in 24th, with about twice as many points.

on the LOI thing i remember moyes talking about coleman in an interview and he basically said he had no tactical training/awareness at all & they had to put a lot of work into it with him. Sounded like they'd just puck a guy of the street who was a decent footballer but that never played for a club before.

would it be better for the NT if they were all over at a very young age?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Italy have offered not to compete over the corruption

it'll never happen though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Source?

I'll believe it when I don't see it.

• Advertisement

lol! If they were serious they would say they are not competing.

Shame Ireland weren't the 25th team - they would have been in at Italy's expense :rolleyes::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

it'll never happen though

It can't happen, it leads to who takes their place, say Estonia do (2nd in Italy's group, lost play offs to Ireland) then the group is unbalanced as Italy would have been seeded in Pot 1, Estonia wouldn't. It would be a logistical nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

greendom wrote: »
    Shame Ireland weren't the 25th team - they would have been in at Italy's expense :rolleyes::D
    17th even? :rolleyes:

Reganio 2 wrote: »
    It can't happen, it leads to who takes their place, say Estonia do (2nd in Italy's group, lost play offs to Ireland) then the group is unbalanced as Italy would have been seeded in Pot 1, Estonia wouldn't. It would be a logistical nightmare.

i wouldn't go as far as to say can't happen, if they don't go they don't go but it's just a comment blown out of proportion.

Felexicon wrote: »
    17th even? :rolleyes:

Ahead of my time, as usual :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Source?
    Here and here, among many others. Actually coming out and saying it without any sort a trigger from UEFA to do so is probably one of two thngs;

1) An invitation for UEFA to do so
    2) An act of compliance with UEFA, showing they recognise the re-emergence of the scandal and hope to act in the face of what has happened as opposed to shying away from it and pretending it hasn't happened, which might buy them some sympathy...

Personally, I can't see UEFA doing such a thing it's too much hassle for them, they would have to cancel and BYE all of their Group C matches, as well as refunding the tickets for such matches, among probably lots of other bits of red tape. I certainly hope it doesn't happen, we have a ticket to that game!

Reganio 2 wrote: »

Denmark got into Euro 92 AFTER the finals draw had been made and were simply positioned in Yugoslavia's slot regardless of seedings etc.

Denmark got into Euro 92 AFTER the finals draw had been made and were simply positioned in Yugoslavia's slot regardless of seedings etc.

why was it denmark that got in?

• Advertisement

Because they came second in Yugoslavia's qualification group. It could just as easily have been Ireland for example had we been in that group instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

War in Yugoslavia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Yugoslavia broke up

War in Yugoslavia.
    Yugoslavia broke up

i know what happened yugoslavia :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

i wanted to know why denmark were chosen to go instead, was that not obvious

thanks anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

nice.one, hopefully estonia.get through
    now we just neef to dump spain and sorted

Sin City wrote: »

To save time they could just award us a 4-0 win because we beat them already and then give us a rest day on matchday3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

Sin City wrote: »

To save time they could just award us a 4-0 win because we beat them already and then give us a rest day on matchday3.
    yeah but then they would have to give.out refunds. no we will have to beat them, again I'm afraid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

i know what happened yugoslavia :pac::pac::pac::pac::pac:

i wanted to know why denmark were chosen to go instead, was that not obvious

thanks anyway

They were second in Yugoslavias group

Animated history of the Republic of Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

Fyffes are giving thousands of inflatable bananas :/

Italy game should be interesting

I'm not so much worried about Balotelli's reaction but what I am worried about is the banana thing being taken out of context by the European press. Also, if Ireland have nothing but pride to play for in the last game, there could be a few clowns in the Irish support who could just say 'f*ck it' and practically chuck the things at him in order to get a rise. It could only be one idiot but it might only take one to leave a bad taste at the end of Ireland's European adventure.

Advertisement