Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Euro 2012!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Yes the only possible country able to host the Euros and World Cup for the Next 100 years is England! Sure the food in those countries is foreign even. :rolleyes:

I doubt the English have won many fans with programmes like Panorama and also that the team while playing in a Ukraine based group is based in Poland. Good way to get the locals on you back before starting the boozed fueled antics they usually start.

P.S Brazil has held the competition in the past with no problems.

Yeah I know, but hasn't there been a massive increase in the number of drug related crimes in Brazil over the last decade...

Countries that could hold championships in Europe tomorrow:
    Germany
    Portugal
    Spain
    France
    England(maybe)
    I wouldn't even give Italy the chance to go for it until they get the corruption sorted and until there has been a few more years without fan trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

Is there anywhere I can see that panorama programme on the internet?

Meglamonia wrote: »
    Is there anywhere I can see that panorama programme on the internet?

If you have expat shield, turn it on and you'll be able to watch it on BBC iplayer.

Other than that, you've the usual "illegal" methods of getting it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I'm getting excited :P

What games are on Friday? Irelands first is Sunday yeah?

Samich wrote: »
    I'm getting excited :P

What games are on Friday? Irelands first is Sunday yeah?

Greece-v-Poland
    Czech-v-Russia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Darkman asked me to post this (Germany leaving for the Euros):

dfb1mibvd.jpg

Ozil a smoker?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I know people think Germany can be cocky, but are they that confident that they only need to bring 7 players:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

I know people think Germany can be cocky, but are they that confident that they only need to bring 7 players:pac:

The other 16 are already there. They left early to get the best seats by the pool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Ozil looks so bad ass in that photo :D

Surprised he smokes, then again he's part turkish isint he? They be always smoking in them parts or atleast when I was there..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What a rabble !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Barzagli now a big doubt for Italy. He'd be a massive loss, been so solid this season. Good day for Ireland with injuries in rival camps.

G.K. wrote: »
    Darkman asked me to post this (Germany leaving for the Euros):

dfb1mibvd.jpg

Ozil a smoker?

Didi Hamann used to smoke when he played, if done in moderation can't see it being much worse that pounding alcohol all season...still not ideal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Yeah he's a smoker alright..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,890 ✭✭✭✭klose

Didi Hamann used to smoke when he played, if done in moderation can't see it being much worse that pounding alcohol all season...still not ideal

Read somewhere that one of the first things he did after leaving the pitch after winning the cl in 05 was have a sneaky fag in the shower area.

Euros are so close now, gonna be a great few weeks of football!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

Remember seeing a pic of Zidane with a cigarette a few days before their World Cup final against Italy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Though it may be Mourinho rarely lets him see all 90 minutes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

This is either really funny or really immature. Depends on yourself really.

It's the England bus arriving at their hotel in Krakow. A few Irish fans were there at the time and started a couple of chants. A very nice welcome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

It's the England bus arriving at their hotel in Krakow. A few Irish fans were there at the time and started a couple of chants. A very nice welcome.

Very cute. They must think they are England's rivals!

I must say, a strange choice from the Poles to boo the England team's arrival too (assuming that was the Poles) - did they or did they not want the continent's national teams to turn up to their country? Its very different to the nature of the welcome given by the South African fans in 2010

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

I'd put money on it being the Irish fans booing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭Meglamonia

It's only banter anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Renn wrote: »
    I'd put money on it being the Irish fans booing.

Rather strange if it is - judging by the general trends in football support in Ireland and the number of supporters clearly involved, it is very likely that a fair number would actually be cheering on the same players they boo and taunt on any other day.

I mean, I just can't understand it. I would never boo players of my club simply because they had joined up with their national team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

I can't believe the English team is getting booed, they haven't done anything untoward yet - not even had the chance! Banter's one thing but just booing for the sake of it looks petty, small minded and childish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Reganovski

bwatson wrote: »
    Rather strange if it is.

It was definitely the Irish fans

It's pathetic and idiotic and i'm not all that surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Haha got a good laugh out of the "You support english players when they play for united or City etc"
    Ye and? I support lads that play for Dublin, when they play for their clubs it totally different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Read somewhere that one of the first things he did after leaving the pitch after winning the cl in 05 was have a sneaky fag in the shower area.

Euros are so close now, gonna be a great few weeks of football!:D

He did, but it wasnt sneaky, had a cigarette with the owner David Moores. :pac:

Socrates (also a qualified Doctor) chain smoked regularly during his whole time playing for Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭Sin City

wait till the French bus arrives lol

As,for the english, guys its a bit of rivalry

I'm sure the english boo terry at chelsea and cheer him for england

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

bwatson wrote: »
    Rather strange if it is - judging by the general trends in football support in Ireland and the number of supporters clearly involved, it is very likely that a fair number would actually be cheering on the same players they boo and taunt on any other day.

I want to see the Polish natives who know the words to the Fields of Athenry:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

As an English person, I'm not taking too much offense at the Irish booing us. It's all banter.

Anyway, it'll be a better reception that they'll get at Heathrow if we come back with no points :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

Heading out for 10 days, getting to the Italy and Croatia games, excited as f**k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

In fairness lads, they booed them. It's not as if they were swinging digs. It's sporting rivalry and having a bit of craic, nothing more. 'Pathetic'...a slight overreaction... :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

They weren't booing, they were "Roo"-ing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

TBF I couldn't stand John O'Shea when he played for man utd, but when he played for Ireland, i only despised him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

TBF I couldn't stand John O'Shea when he played for man utd, but when he played for Ireland, i only despised him.

Why?:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 602 ✭✭✭transylman

briany wrote: »
    I can't believe the English team is getting booed, they haven't done anything untoward yet - not even had the chance! Banter's one thing but just booing for the sake of it looks petty, small minded and childish.

It is small minded and childish. If they play good football I would be happy for them to in it. Even if they didn't I would prefer to see them win it over Holland or Italy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,229 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Had a look at the After Hours reaction to this. Wasn't disappointed.

It just seems to be a bit of banter, nothing from the chanting or booing seemed to be hateful, just a bit of friendly banter. Sounded more like they were just taking the pi$$ and having a bit of craic. Even when they were singing fields of athenry, no mention of Sein Fein or the F the Queen lines.

I myself always like to see England do well(but not too well, I'm still hearing about that Rugby world cup win:o), but they wouldn't be my preferred nation to support, but after Germany, Italy, Brazil and of course Ireland(as we don't make many tourney's I need others to support in tourney's:D).

Come on Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Angus Torode from Eurosport just tweeted about their show called The Euro 2012 Show. Twitter page for it says Wenger, Benitez, Kluivert, Berthold and Fredi Bobic are analysts. Might be worth a watch? Looks like it is on every night until the tournament ends.

Tonight at 7pm on Eurosport.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    Angus Torode from Eurosport just tweeted about their show called The Euro 2012 Show. Twitter page for it says Wenger, Benitez, Kluivert, Berthold and Fredi Bobic are analysts. Might be worth a watch? Looks like it is on every night until the tournament ends.

Tonight at 7pm on Eurosport.

This the same Wenger who said Portugal would do well in the tournament, and Holland & Germany would both get out of their group? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

could ireland do a greece in the euros???

win every game 1-0 whilst playing ultra defensive football..boring all neutrals to tears in the process

fryup wrote: »
    could ireland do a greece in the euros???

win every game 1-0 whilst playing ultra defensive football..boring all neutrals to tears in the process
    They *could* but for every Greece there's tonnes of teams who turn up at Championships like this trying to play containing football and fail which you never hear about years on unlike the Greeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Dammit. Just found out that Paddy Power were offering 6/1 on Germany to win the Euro's yesterday evening for a short time. Grr.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Because Greece did it so effectively. Something I'm pretty sure Ireland are incapable of doing. They can be the most defensive team in the tournament but that doesn't mean they'll be effective in doing so. I know the stats look pretty favourable when you look at the last 14 games but anyone watching those games knows that quality sides will most definitely create numerous chances vs Ireland. Ireland can get lucky and hope that something crazy goes on and every striker in the tournament is off form, but I can't see it happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

transylman wrote: »
    It is small minded and childish. If they play good football I would be happy for them to in it. Even if they didn't I would prefer to see them win it over Holland or Italy.

I think 90% of people would agree with that, speaking to my friends and myself, its not the English players (barring JT, Cashley and the more tabloid front page players) that Irish people dont particularly like, its the overinflated media and commentary. We are so exposed to English media that its bound to rile us especially when we often aint involved in the competition to begin with. The media over there have England down as favourites each time which must pi$$ off the players just as much as they know that their record in the completitions should not have them down as favourites.Id say 90% of England fans knwo this too and arent deluded.

I think this time, lessons have been learned and England are going into the Euros under the radar similar to Portugal, France, Croatia etc. COuld be dangerous, mightnt get out of the group, might go all the way. Booing any team is completely unacceptable to anyone who has played sport, unless they are playing cynical/ultra negative football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

hotel looks a right s*it hole, very strange to put them in the middle of a town like that, you would think they would be well outside the city with places to walk around and relax away from the people.

• Advertisement

I probably should have mentioned that our current approach is still by far the best approach giving our available player base, albeit an incredibly slim hope of winning it.

This the same Wenger who said Portugal would do well in the tournament, and Holland & Germany would both get out of their group? :p

I'd much rather listen to Wenger than any of the idiots BBC or ITV have parading as analysts.

hotel looks a right s*it hole, very strange to put them in the middle of a town like that, you would think they would be well outside the city with places to walk around and relax away from the people.

And why base themselves in Poland when all their group matches are in the Ukraine - madness !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

That_Guy wrote: »
    Dammit. Just found out that Paddy Power were offering 6/1 on Germany to win the Euro's yesterday evening for a short time. Grr.
    It was a facebook offer with a €10 max. You didn't miss out too badly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

The Irish being well Irish (still at least there was no "Ooh Ah Up teh ra")

• Advertisement
Advertisement