Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Euro 2012!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Cardinal Richelieu

Drive out the campsites and park there. Pitch your tent at night and sell chips by day.

I imagine the polish version of the Irish EHO might have a problem with that as will the local council that manages trade licenses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

I imagine the polish version of the Irish EHO might have a problem with that as will the local council that manages trade licenses.

Luckily, your premises would be on wheels!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

tolosenc wrote: »
    Luckily, your premises would be on wheels!

The Del Boy of chip vans. If the police come looking for you just drive. At least you won't have to worry about getting away on foot :pac:.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

It was on the cards with the whole Ukraine ****e that's been leading up to it.

Well yeah, but this has happened in Poland. It's self-perpetuating as well. If England go ahead with this open training session tomorrow you can almost guarantee the same thing will happen then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I dont get whoever picks where the tournaments will be pick these places. South Africa two years ago and now Ukraine, Poland, then coming up Brazil and Qatar.

The biggest majority of fans are in England, France, Italy and Spain really sucks the places they are picking.

• Advertisement

deisedave wrote: »
    I dont get whoever picks where the tournaments will be pick these places. South Africa two years ago and now Ukraine, Poland, then coming up Brazil and Qatar.

The biggest majority of fans are in England, France, Italy and Spain really sucks the places they are picking.

Eh 200 million people live in Brazil and it's the 5th biggest country in the world. Also I'm certain they are more interested in football than the majority of people in England, France, Italy or Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Beefy78 wrote: »
    Well yeah, but this has happened in Poland. It's self-perpetuating as well. If England go ahead with this open training session tomorrow you can almost guarantee the same thing will happen then.

Do you think this news report will attract racists to the training session, or that the presence of a small number of bigots will be amplified in the media?

Eh 200 million people live in Brazil and it's the 5th biggest country in the world. Also I'm certain they are more interested in football than the majority of people in England, France, Italy or Spain.

I aint putting Brazil down I know they love football but they are a very poor country and yes football is big in south America but its biggest base is in europe.

What about Qatar ? They got oil yes but no football history I think England deserve it more than anywhere they have to be the biggest football country in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

smokedeels wrote: »
    Do you think this news report will attract racists to the training session, or that the presence of a small number of bigots will be amplified in the media?

I'd say both are fairly likely. I'd have thought that there's a decent chance that it could snowball.

Oh yeah and Russia is hosing one soon, the fact that England did not get the World cup is ridiculous and the fact that some of these countries are getting tournaments are a sham.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

What happens if this racist stuff keeps happening? Platini said refs can do something about it if it happens during a match, but do you think a game can be called off? How could they reschedule? There wouldnt be any available time!

The_B_Man wrote: »
    What happens if this racist stuff keeps happening? Platini said refs can do something about it if it happens during a match, but do you think a game can be called off? How could they reschedule? There wouldnt be any available time!

I hope if racism happens in any match the team walk off to make an example and make a show of the hosts. I know there will always be racism in football but I can see it being a massive problem in this tournament, hopefully I am wrong we will see.

Oh yeah and Russia is hosing one soon, the fact that England did not get the World cup is ridiculous and the fact that some of these countries are getting tournaments are a sham.

These counties?

How do Russia and Brazil get lumped into the same vague category in your head?

These counties?

How do Russia and Brazil get lumped into the same vague category in your head?

I would not feel nearly as safe in Russia or Brazil as I would in England also English football is watched by people all over the world, the infrastructure is there and would be close to France, Italy, Spain etc.

I am not saying that Russia, Brazil and Qatar wont be able to host a good tournament but I truly just don't understand how they were picked ahead of England just dont make sense.

According to the Guardian, Van Bommel suggested that if the same chanting took place during a game he would ask the referee to take his team off the field.

At that point, I imagine it would be up to the police to remove the bigots, failing that, the game would realistically have to be called off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

What the hell is deisedave on about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

To the ones dissing certain host countries I'm guessing the whole point is to make the World Cup / Euro Cup inclusive. I wasn't impressed by Qatar getting it either but I guess it could also be an good opportunity to be "the Arabian Cup" with fans from other countries in the region coming to see games.

If all you wanted is the best run / safest world cup then you could probably just have it in Germany every 4 years but that might get boring quick.

kitakyushu wrote: »
    To the ones dissing certain host countries I'm guessing the whole point is to make the World Cup / Euro Cup inclusive. I wasn't impressed by Qatar getting it either but I guess it could also be an good opportunity to be "the Arabian Cup" with fans from other countries in the region coming to see games.

If all you wanted is the best run / safest world cup then you could probably just have it in Germany every 4 years but that might get a boring quick.
    When did Germany have it last they would actually be a good host also :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1996_Manchester_bombing

16 years ago deisedave. Just so you know stuff happens in places like England too.

I would not feel nearly as safe in Russia or Brazil as I would in England also English football is watched by people all over the world, the infrastructure is there and would be close to France, Italy, Spain etc.

I am not saying that Russia, Brazil and Qatar wont be able to host a good tournament but I truly just don't understand how they were picked ahead of England just dont make sense.

It's called the World Cup man, there's a clue in the name.

• Advertisement

It's called the World Cup man, there's a clue in the name.

Brazil is a footballing country so if they have the funds and everything comes off they will be good hosts but seriously Qatar with the climate, religion and lack of interest in football is a ridiculous choice.

Brazil is a footballing country so if they have the funds and everything comes off they will be good hosts but seriously Qatar with the climate, religion and lack of interest in football is a ridiculous choice.

We all know that there was some dodgy dealings with the Qatar choice. There is no sensible reason as to why they should hold it there.

By your criteria then only 4/5 countries can ever hold the WC/Euros. How is the game supposed to grow then?

We all know that there was some dodgy dealings with the Qatar choice. There is no sensible reason as to why they should hold it there.

By your criteria then only 4/5 countries can ever hold the WC/Euros. How is the game supposed to grow then?

If they wanted the game to grow USA would be the place to have the World cup at the moment considering how popular its becoming there. I would love to head over to a tournament but would only go if it was hosted in a country I wanted to see.

Anyways sorry for diverting the topic come on the boys in green :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Do you think having the world cup there in 1994 might have helped promote the game in the USA at all?

Qatar is dodgy looking alright, but FIFA are trying to increase the interest in the game globally and the middle east is taking off right now with the leagues out there attracting high profile old pro's, plenty of investment coming from the region also, and to be quite frank how dare anybody suggest that somewhere shouldn't be allowed host a major tournament (if it meets the criteria) simply because the game isn't yet as popular there as it is in oh I dunno say, England, which is hardly the shining light to hold up as an ideal place to host a major tournament.

I think hosting this Euros in Poland and the Ukraine is a bad idea, but I understand the goal behind the idea. Hosting a major tournament in a country/region is the best way to advertise the game and raise its profile there.

This is the goal of FIFA/UEFA, better brand recognition, higher profile, more money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,909 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I aint putting Brazil down I know they love football but they are a very poor country and yes football is big in south America but its biggest base is in europe.

Eh, Brazil is one of the worlds fastest growing economies and what exactly do you mean by football's biggest base is in Europe?????

And re: another of your wildly generalising posts, for what reasons should russia not have been awarded the World Cup? Apart from the fact that you wouldnt feel safe? Why not? Have you been there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

If Wikipedia is to be believed, temps in Qatar peak at about 41 degrees Celsius in June. Now there'll be efforts made to cool the stadiums but what about the rest of the time? How will fans cope in between games, how will the players? Could end up being one of the most miserable World Cups ever and God knows what'll be going down in the Middle East in 10 years time.

Also, to me, the Qatari team will always be the worst team in FIFA '94 for the Megadrive. They were the team you'd play as for bragging rights.

"I'll be Qatar, you be Brazil and I'll still hammer ye!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

Platini said:
    ‘We have come up with the best solution — we stop the game. We have given the advice that the referee should do this for a time, we have said they can cancel the game if racism continues to raise its head.’

I thought it was dangerous to bring canceling games into it or give the idea that refs can decide on that. I don't think refs will really have this power at all.

Imagine, for arguments sake, Ukraine in their third game against England, maybe with nothing to play for, or maybe a goal down and going out, and the monkey chants start. You could have bigots who would be more empowered by the fact that they could now stop the game altogether, and in that case you'd probably be stirring up even more crowd trouble.

It's no surprise they are trying to nip the idea of player power in the bud though, because everything could unravel if you had a team walking off without refs consent. Canceling a game and punishing a team that refused to play under abuse would be a major logistical and PR disaster, so they're threatening players against taking things into their own hands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭RGDATA!

simple solution to racist chants - players temporarily withdrawn and vuvuzelas issued to entire crowd

Surely a better solution to this would be for the offending fans' team to forfeit the game. Certainly in the case of Ukraine, it's not like there'll be a big intermingling of fans with English or French ones, if at all and it would be fairly easy to tell where abuse was coming from. I don't think there'll be much racism at the games anyway but if there is the potential for it, this would be one way to discourage it and prevent bigots from becoming too empowered in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

The offending teams fans? From what I gathered, the chants were coming from neither teams fans. How would you punish teams for that?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

jaysus, things got awfully serious in here for a while, anyway guys let's sit back and relax with a trusty old Hitler video as the fuhrer reacts with fury after learning McShane has been called up to the Irish squad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

An easy enough way to put a stop to racism would be to stop the game and threaten to empty the whole section where the chants are coming from, wouldn't be long then before the culprits are identified.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Wish tomorrow's games kicked off the tournament. Obviously a host always kicks things off but really see damp skuib potential in both games this evening. Still like a kid on Christmas morning today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,468 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

The offending teams fans? From what I gathered, the chants were coming from neither teams fans. How would you punish teams for that?

Very simple.
    Any club or country whose fans/people racially abuse players get minimum 1 year ban from all international/european matches.
    This would force clubs/countries to address the problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Paco Rodriguez

If some fans turned up to training just to behave like that it will for sure happen during a game. The police wont be able to throw large numbers out. And UEFA are not going to allow the refs to abandon games in my opinion.
    I hope the games wont turn into a farce. Ive read on some internet sites English fans are not going to take too well if some of their players are abused.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

I've looked at the Dutch training session on youtube, and seen no evidence of the monkey chanting, or 'the players going to the opposite end of the pitch in disgust'. And Dutch newspapers who one would expect to be all over the story don't seem to be going with it either.

It seems to have been something that started in a Danish paper, and the English newspapers and Sky have dived on it and made it the headlines. There are quotes attributed to Dutch players in the English papers, but no actual video of the quotes being made.

Is this a real story or is there something a bit fishy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If some fans turned up to training just to behave like that it will for sure happen during a game. The police wont be able to throw large numbers out. And UEFA are not going to allow the refs to abandon games in my opinion.
    I hope the games wont turn into a farce. Ive read on some internet sites English fans are not going to take too well if some of their players are abused.

It is thought that the people were complaining about the fact that the local town was not going to be hosting any of the games more than a racist thing.

Welbeck apparently recieved a lot of cheers after scoring in a practice game this morning. Let's not read too much into this thing

When it comes down to it, I can't imagine the Polish and Ukrainian F.A.s doing anything but their level best to stop the local racist types getting into games in general so I think, I fear, that the games where the most risk would come would be the Ukrainian games and the Polish games. Of course the game should be stopped if the offenders are neutral but i just can't see any large numbers of that type getting into just any game and even if they do get in, the stewards will be coming down hard upon them if they do start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Ukraine squad are calling shenanigans after 10 of the squad came down with the oul tummy aches.
    Story here

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

I've looked at the Dutch training session on youtube, and seen no evidence of the monkey chanting, or 'the players going to the opposite end of the pitch in disgust'. And Dutch newspapers who one would expect to be all over the story don't seem to be going with it either.

It seems to have been something that started in a Danish paper, and the English newspapers and Sky have dived on it and made it the headlines. There are quotes attributed to Dutch players in the English papers, but no actual video of the quotes being made.

Is this a real story or is there something a bit fishy?

Watch the Panorama episode, shocking really

I doubt many of the ultras would be going to watch teams train either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,829 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

I watched Ross Kemp on Gangs episode about Polish thugs last night.
    They appear to be pretty nuts to be honest.

Fishooks12 wrote: »

I'm sure there was some degree of truth in that programme but also a decent helping of sensationalism too. They seem to do the same thing before every major tournament nowadays. Germany in 2006 and South Africa in 2010 comes to mind. Get everyone wound up before the tournament starts and then nothing happens once the games are underway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

greendom wrote: »
    I'm sure there was some degree of truth in that programme but also a decent helping of sensationalism too. They seem to do the same thing before every major tournament nowadays. Germany in 2006 and South Africa in 2010 comes to mind. Get everyone wound up before the tournament starts and then nothing happens once the games are underway.

I really don't think so

Did you see the footage? It wasn't isolated incidents either

The Ukrainian police denying anything like it happened is the most shocking thing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

nothing that you hear about anyway. Something's bound to have happened to fans at major tournaments, just not every single one of them being mugged or something.

I really don't think so

Did you see the footage? It wasn't isolated incidents either

The Ukrainian police denying anything like it happened is the most shocking thing

I know - the footage was shocking - it's just that we've been here before. I hope I'm right but I reckon it's more about journalists making a story than anything else.

batistuta9 wrote: »
    nothing that you hear about anyway. Something's bound to have happened to fans at major tournaments, just not every single one of them being mugged or something.

This is true and I imagine those sorts of incidents will be more prevalent than if the tournament was being held in a more economically developed part of Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ukraine seems like a gas place to live. I'm watching SSN while eating a bit of lunch and I just can't help but laugh. The Donbass stadium looks savage, no issues there. It's everything else that may cause issues. They showed a motorway that's supposed to be finished by the 10th. . . .not a drop of concrete on the ground yet, just a kind of elevated mud mound.

Then the reporter is in some camp site about a half hour from the stadium that looks like something from craggy island. It's still a building site (actually it's a mud pit with tools still lying around) and the couple of people they've spoken to say it will be finished today. The SSN reporter can barely keep a straight face - actually the 2nd guy he asked about it almost broke into a smile when he said it'll be finished in 4-5 hours :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Which is not what I was asking at all.

I was asking is there actual evidence of the 'monkey chanting', 'disgusted players moving to opposite end of pitch', 'interviews with irate players' in the Dutch training session in Krakow thats being reported.

It could well be true, but a bit of me thinks that theres a possibility that one Danish agency has got the wrong end of the stick, and that the UK newspapers/media have dived on it without verifying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

Is the a boards.ie fantasy football code around?

• Advertisement
Advertisement