Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Everything Euro 2012!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

To Alcohol wrote: »
    Just thank the stars above Merson isn't with the the BBC or ITV.

Merson is fine. One of the best pundits around. Doesn't care about upsetting anyone and just says (or tries to) what he genuinely thinks on a subject. Even if he's wrong I'd rather that than listen to yet another pundit refuse to offer an opinion in case it upsets one of their mates in the game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,356 ✭✭✭naughto

naughto wrote: »
    going for a 1 all draw
    i went to put this bet on at the start of the game and the fecking ladbrokes site kept crashing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Surprisingly entertaining game, hope the rest of the games (bar the Irish games I'll take sneaky 1 goal wins and goalless draws all day long) follow suit :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

RULES FOR WOMEN DURING THE EURO'S

1) If I hear you saying Cristiano Ronaldo is hot. GET OUT.

2) When the Euro’s are on the tv is mine.Eastenders, Hollyoaks and Corrie can do one.

3.I will most likely have a bet on. So if you see me annoyed or upset if one of my teams are loseing. Don’t dare say:

-It’s only a game
    -Get over it,
    -They will win next time

Any of the above will result in a break up or a divorce

4.Having sex unless oral whilst I’m watching a game is out of bounds. You don’t do it normally, so don’t do it just
    because you want my attention.

5. Replays are very important, i don’t care if i have seen it. If needs be I will rewind the game and watch it again.

6. I will not be attending any of your friends parties or gatherings, I am fully booked. Unless it involves watching
    the Euro’s.

7. You are welcome to watch the games with me. As long as you REMAIN SILENT.

8. Don’t ask me what the offside rule it. The answer will be...
    You being out of the kitchen.

9) The Referee is always a wanker.

10) If you here me scream your name be ready to:
    -Grab me a drink.
    -Grab me a snack.
    -Get me new batteries for the remote.

If any of the above are breached or not followed you will

1st breach: Receive a warning.
    2nd breach: Be told to get out of the room
    3rd breach: Finished or divorced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Dunphy was about to have a brainfart there before Brady went apres match on him and he realised where the offside was given

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Keane and Viera sharing a joke on ITV. . .uncomfortable laughter. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Brendan97

Ireland beat Croatia
    Ireland beat or draw with Italy
    Ireland lose to Spain

Croatia lose to Ireland
    Croatia beat or draw with Italy
    Croatia lose to Spain

Italy lose or draw with Croatia (or beat them but ireland have a greater goal difference)
    Italy lose or draw with Ireland
    Italy lose to Spain

Spain win all their games

1.Spain 9pts
    2.Ireland 4/6pts
    3/4.Italy 0/4pts
    3/4.Croatia 0/3pts

Its probably the most realistic scenario where Ireland go through to the knock-out stages

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

I don't see Spain winning all their games tbh. We could get a 0-0 from them, maybe 1-1, possibly in 2002 Germany style :D

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭jimmymal

barone wrote: »

2) When the Euro’s are on the tv is mine.Eastenders, Hollyoaks and Corrie can do one.

3.I will most likely have a bet on. So if you see me annoyed or upset if one of my teams are loseing. Don’t dare say:

-It’s only a game
    -Get over it,
    -They will win next time

4.Having sex unless oral whilst I’m watching a game is out of bounds. You don’t do it normally, so don’t do it just

5. Replays are very important, i don’t care if i have seen it. If needs be I will rewind the game and watch it again.

6. I will not be attending any of your friends parties or gatherings, I am fully booked. Unless it involves watching
    the Euro’s.

-Grab me a drink.
    -Grab me a snack.

On the fridge from tmw onwards!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Irishvillian

-It’s only a game
    -Get over it,
    -They will win next time

the Euro’s.

-Grab me a drink.
    -Grab me a snack.

This will have to be put on the back of the t-shirt ;):D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed watching the first day of an international soccer tournament as much as that. More of the same please :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Euro 2012 > WC 2010 already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

After 3 hours of research my findings are that hot Polish women are better than vuvuzela's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

If the camera's continue to flash to random Eastern European women, I can see myself enjoying this tournament.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,277 ✭✭✭batistuta9

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It is? Or was the last proper euros 1992 before the disgraceful doubling from 8 teams? Nah, really the last proper euros was surely the last finals with a mere four teams.

Competitions evolve, get over it.

cop on. You do know the number of member nations in UEFA has increased, don't you?
    If their evolving a competition it should be to make it better quality wise not quantity wise. You may as well just have a tournament with all 53 UEFA members.

there was only 35 UEFA members in the early '90 for the qualification for that tournament then the 2 germanys merged leaving 33 in qualifying along with sweden who got through as hosts so 23.52% of the teams went to the finals. Pretty much just the top sides of the federation involved

now with 53 members just over 30% qualify again still just the top sides of the federation involved

but from 2016 over 45% will, meaning far too many mediocre teams will be there having their day in the sun & making up the numbers, much like the CL group stages

but i supposed UEFA don't care as it's more money & people like you will be lauding ireland as a great international team because of their regular appearances at the euro's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

UEFA has diluted all its competitions to generate more money. I hate to think what elite football competitions will be like in 20 years time.

Dempsey wrote: »
    UEFA has diluted all its competitions to generate more money. I hate to think what elite football competitions will be like in 20 years time.

Bill O'Herlihy: "live next wednesday on RTÉ 2 cherry orchard from the leinster senior league will be hosting the mighty real madrid, thats all from me me, liam, john and eamon goodnight".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭spiralism

what's the song that's playing after a goal actually does anybody know? thought i heard something like a dance version of seven nation army when greece scored but any other time the crowd was too loud to hear anything

Great opening day though, disappointed for Poland but they still should be the second best team in the group and its up to them to prove that. If they can beat the Czechs in the last game they'll be fine. Russia were electric tonight, brilliant stuff by them. Loving the atmosphere, this tournament is already streets ahead of WC 2010 for two reasons:

1. Standard is already way better
    2. There's actually an atmosphere thanks to the lack of those ****ing vuvuzelas..and some atmosphere at that. Fans were great at both games today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭Felexicon

G.K. wrote: »

Some decent observations there.

On a side note you should get someone to proof read the blog as it has alot of grammatical errors.

I also saw you listed journalism as an intrest. Perhaps you could try writing the blog to fit that style as it currently reads like a rather long forum post and thus there is alot of gibberish that could be taken out.

Just some advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭HazDanz

G.K. wrote: »

Good read.

Just on the Czech Republic. How bad were they in midfield at keeping the ball? I felt the russians were flattered by the Czech Republics inability to hold onto it. They kept forcing long direct balls forward. The russians were more than capable of cutting out the forward passes as they were coming from such a distance and could counter pretty easily as the Czech's kept commiting, hoping the long direct balls would work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Highlight of the tournament so far:

untitled-7ov8ef.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,221 ✭✭✭A_Sober_Paddy

Paully D wrote: »
    Highlight of the tournament so far:

untitled-7ov8ef.gif

There was a few hotter ones on show last night...but she is still lovely

Felexicon wrote: »
    Some decent observations there.

On a side note you should get someone to proof read the blog as it has alot of grammatical errors.

I also saw you listed journalism as an intrest. Perhaps you could try writing the blog to fit that style as it currently reads like a rather long forum post and thus there is alot of gibberish that could be taken out.

Just some advice.

Cheers, it's much appreciated!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭the realpigiron

Early days yet, but Russia look really handy and well up for it. With the tournament in their backyard they could be darkhorses.

Yesterdays results augurs well for Ireland v Croatia too by the way. It depends a lot on how much Croatia want it.

• Advertisement

Yesterdays results augurs well for Ireland v Croatia too by the way. It depends a lot on how much Croatia want it.

how so?

didn't hear much mention yesterday when i was watching RTÉ about croatia winning 3-0 in istanbul, did they mention it at all?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Early days yet, but Russia look really handy and well up for it. With the tournament in their backyard they could be darkhorses.

It could be different this time round but Russia/USSR always seem to start tournaments looking like World Beaters and then generally fade away as the tournament gets to the qualifying stage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Russians doing a bit of the old fighting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Just read your blogs Gk . No Arshavin he had a great game . Man of the match for me .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,250 ✭✭✭✭briany

Robbie going for one of those Calvin Klein ads with the stubble.

Just read your blogs Gk . No Arshavin he had a great game . Man of the match for me .

It was tough to leave him out, but I think Dzagoev edged it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Technique

A little bit off topic, but what is the situation with match programmes for the Euro 2012 games? Will there be a separate programme for each game, or just a general programme for the tournament?

I want a friend to bring back a few programmes and want to give him the money before he leaves in a few days time.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

1339258347750.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

as ya do

2cejcbb.jpg

Saw that, it looks pretty hot over there tonight he or she may have melted by full time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

as ya do

2cejcbb.jpg

Popular in IceHockey.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

as ya do

2cejcbb.jpg

Racist fan. Ronaldo should walk off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,774 ✭✭✭cadete

Less than 24 hours till our lads are playin I can't wait!! Don't care how they do as long as they give everything I'll be happy!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

UEFA taking action against Russia for abuse given to Gebre Selassie

http://www.uefa.com/uefa/footballfir...d=1812587.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Waiting 4 days to review the incident?? I know it's the weekend but surely they could act quicker than that considering how big a tournament it is and the seriousness of the incidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

can anyone tell the song thats played right before kick off at each of the matches? its been played at every match so far and is on about a minute before kick off. doing my head in

found it :0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQalkIeE7s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Love this picture

AvG83HlCIAAhSq1.jpg:large

Almost looks like some slightly suspect behind closed doors training ground move!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Chiellini :*)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

can anyone tell the song thats played right before kick off at each of the matches? its been played at every match so far and is on about a minute before kick off. doing my head in

found it :0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBQalkIeE7s

I know it as the Ricky Steamboat theme. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

My match ratings so far:

Poland v Greece 3/5
    Russia v Czech 3.5/5
    Denmark v Holland 3/5
    Germany v Portugal 2.5/5
    Spain v Italy 4/5
    Ireland v Croatia 3/5