Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

From VTOS to BTEA?

• 18-05-2012 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭

Hi guys, Just wondering if anybody can advise us.

my wife is finishing up a 2 yr VTOS course in I.T. She has been accepted onto another 2 yr BTEA course in Graphic Design. She is a Chinese national and hasnt been home in 2.5 yrs. We have scrimped and saved and have bought a ticket for her and our 2 kids to visit family in China and attend a wedding next week. The thing is that my wife must sign on for JSA on June 6th to be eligible for BTEA allowance and she must be getting JSA for 3 months/9 months immediately prior to starting this course in Sept.

She went to the S.W. Office and the girl at the desk was very helpful and asked her boss but her boss said no way, she has to stay in the country and sign on. My wife doesnt want money if shes not in the country, but merely to maintain her presence on the list so she can get an education. If we dont get the BTEA allowance, we cant afford childminding for kids etc when she studies in September.

As it is we will have to spend about 600 euro to change her particular tickets if she stays to sign on first(and miss the wedding). This all seems a bit harsh. She is eligible for the BTEA but circumstances mean she wont be in the country to sign on. What if there was a tragedy at home and she wasnt able to sign on, for example...should her chance at gaining an education suffer just because it doesnt suit the social welfare?

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Hi guys, Just wondering if anybody can advise us.

my wife is finishing up a 2 yr VTOS course in I.T. She has been accepted onto another 2 yr BTEA course in Graphic Design. She is a Chinese national and hasnt been home in 2.5 yrs. We have scrimped and saved and have bought a ticket for her and our 2 kids to visit family in China and attend a wedding next week. The thing is that my wife must sign on for JSA on June 6th to be eligible for BTEA allowance and she must be getting JSA for 3 months/9 months immediately prior to starting this course in Sept.

She went to the S.W. Office and the girl at the desk was very helpful and asked her boss but her boss said no way, she has to stay in the country and sign on. My wife doesnt want money if shes not in the country, but merely to maintain her presence on the list so she can get an education. If we dont get the BTEA allowance, we cant afford childminding for kids etc when she studies in September.

As it is we will have to spend about 600 euro to change her particular tickets if she stays to sign on first(and miss the wedding). This all seems a bit harsh. She is eligible for the BTEA but circumstances mean she wont be in the country to sign on. What if there was a tragedy at home and she wasnt able to sign on, for example...should her chance at gaining an education suffer just because it doesnt suit the social welfare?

Any advice?

Is she in receipt of a sw payment... if she is she can apply for 12 da ys paid holidays... how long is she going to be out of the country??? If she is in receipt of a payment this is bull about her having to remain in the country to sign... once she fills out Up30 form for holiday for 12 days if her signing occurs during this time it will be excused and her payments will be stopped and will issue when she returns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Time spent on VTOS counts towards the qualifying period for BTEA - how long is she going out of the country for? Is it for a week or two? Or is it for the rest of the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Hi guys,

they were meant to go away for 3 and a half weeks. From end of may to end of June. She has handed in all her end of year projects and was going to take the last week of the vtos course off(in which they have no schoolwork to do anyways) so she and the kids could attend the wedding abroad. This probably scuppers the 12 days holidays thing.

Is she still allowed to be on the list for BTEA accrueing the 3 months waiting time if shes out of country for 3.5 weeks? Its so hard to find info like this out in the few moments you have at the social welfare desk and on the welfare.ie website its tough too so I really appreciate your comments guys.

In reply to Eastbono: No she doesnt get a SW payment, teh vtos payment is seperate to that. On June 6th she is meant to sign on the JSA for the summer leading to the BTEA in september.

Brian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Was she in receipt of a Jobseeker's Payment prior to starting VTOS? Or any other SW payment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 292 ✭✭briano.de.rhino

Yes she was on JSA 2 years ago prior to her I.T. course(VTOS).

• Advertisement
Advertisement