Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

April 2012 heats up as 5th warmest month globally

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,150 ✭✭✭Deep Easterly

Danno wrote: »
    This is the bull fook ology that makes my blood boil. The profits will never be affected never, mark my words. YOU and I will PAY at the pumps.

Rightio, got that one...?

Now, if all the green furry bunnies want to jump up and down about stopping dirty oil being burnt... then give us the alternatives... until then STFU and get designing.

I remember during a seminar while at college one cold morning a couple of years back there was hot debate about the evils of oil companies and their political allegiances. Fair enough, but had to laugh when one particular person who was the most vocal against such literally ran to the radiator to warm herself when the seminar finished. When I pointed this out this little irony to her she took real offense almost as if I insulted her or something.

People are funny things.. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

Su Campu wrote: »
    I think in one go you've just pretty much rubbished the whole AGW argument. The two major oceanic drivers - the PDO and ENSO, obviously have a large effect on temperatures, with the late-century rising coinciding with the warm PDO phase. Factor in the increased station urbanisation and we'd probably see that temperature flatline show a slight cooling trend.

Hang on - as pointed out PDO and ENSO are negative over the last 10 years. If you want to adjust temperatures for them then they'll decrease the previous warming trend but increase the recent trend. You can't subtract from the temperature trend when they're positive and then keep subtracting from them when they're negative.

In any event someone has already gone to the trouble of removing those indexes from the temperature signal

http://www.skepticalscience.com/foster-and-rahmstorf-measure-global-warming-signal.html
    Foster and Rahmstorf (2011) have published a paper in Environmental Research Letters seeking to extract the human-caused global warming signal from the global surface temperature and lower troposphere temperature data. In order to accomplish this goal, the authors effectively filter out the effects of solar activity, the El Niño Southern Oscillation (ENSO), and volcanic activity. The result is shown in Figure 1 below.

FR11_Fig5.jpg

I should also note that while you've mentioned UHI a lot and attributed a huge amount of observed warming to it, the UAH and RSS records are both derived from satellite observations and are not subject to UHI influences. Here is a comparison of all the records together with their trends over the satellite era

trend

You're simply not going to make that warming disappear by claiming UHI.

The ocean heat content dwarfs that of the atmosphere and it too is warming, again not a product of UHI

mean:12
    With the increased solar activity and hence shortwave flux of the early century, this stored oceanic heat has probably been slowly released over the past 40 years, and we are now reaching an equilibrium of sorts.

Scientists that do this for a living have considered ways to measure the climate energy imbalance and see if it's approaching equilibrium or becoming more imbalanced. Contrary to your statement above it's the latter, again as measured by satellites which are able to monitor incoming and outgoing energy.

http://www.nasa.gov/topics/earth/features/energy-budget.html
    Hansen's team concluded that Earth has absorbed more than half a watt more solar energy per square meter than it let off throughout the six year study period. The calculated value of the imbalance (0.58 watts of excess energy per square meter) is more than twice as much as the reduction in the amount of solar energy supplied to the planet between maximum and minimum solar activity (0.25 watts per square meter).
    Hansen's analysis of the information collected by Argo, along with other ground-based and satellite data, show the upper ocean has absorbed 71 percent of the excess energy and the Southern Ocean, where there are few Argo floats, has absorbed 12 percent. The abyssal zone of the ocean, between about 3,000 and 6,000 meters (9,800 and 20,000 feet) below the surface, absorbed five percent, while ice absorbed eight percent and land four percent.

If your argument was correct then we'd be emitting more energy than we absorb, since the sea would be releasing energy from a previous solar high. Instead the opposite is true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭Su Campu

sharper wrote: »
    Hang on - as pointed out PDO and ENSO are negative over the last 10 years. If you want to adjust temperatures for them then they'll decrease the previous warming trend but increase the recent trend. You can't subtract from the temperature trend when they're positive and then keep subtracting from them when they're negative.

I'm not sure I follow you there. I said they contributed to the warming in their positive phases, so the recent trend (70-00) was a product of this. Where was I subtracting when they were positive? I was doing the opposite!

Regarding the satellite data. I don't put much weight into satellite surface temperature data as it is different to that measured by a sensor at the required 1.5 metres above ground level. The problem with the whole temperature record is that we have three different types of temperatures all in the one curve - proxy, instrumental and satellite. That is bad science. I still have not seen any work that has shown that surface temperatures measured by satellite are the same as those measured by a standard weather station. I have seen the opposite though. Satellites measure lower tropospheric temperature, which is not the same as the instrumental dataset for the past 150 years. Your chart shows up to 400% difference between even the different satellite datasets themselves, so let's keep satellite data out of a discussion on station trends.

You speak of the ocean heat content dwarfing that of the atmosphere. My point exactly. Which do you think is the driver of global atmospheric temperature? The ocean. A vast heat sink with an enormous heat flux to the overlying atmosphere. The atmosphere acts in response to the oceans. The oceans also release more dissolved CO2 as they warm, which has in itself probably contributed to the CO2 record of the past half century. Warm PDO concided with the recent warming, it has now started negative within the last decade and the temperature has leveled off. With it continuing further negative in the next decade we should see the temperature continue to follow suit.

People have their different opinions, but I'm sure that in time, those of the alarmist viewpoint will discover how ridiculous the science and politics of the past 30 years has been. I do agree 100% that we need to clean things up, stop our reliance on oil, and maximise the green energy potential that lies there wasted. There is absolutely no justifiable reason why we can't meet the majority of our energy needs through wind, ocean, tidal and solar means. The reason is politics, but as I said, that's not justifiable.

I'm not sure I follow you there. I said they contributed to the warming in their positive phases, so the recent trend (70-00) was a product of this. Where was I subtracting when they were positive? I was doing the opposite!

You're saying that if you remove the effects of ENSO etc it would reduce overall warming and sure this is likely true - for the period in which they were positive. You further assert that since recent temperatures are somewhat flat it might bring them to the point of cooling but as the graphs show for the period in which temperatures are flat, the indexes are negative. So no cooling when you correct for them.
    Regarding the satellite data. I don't put much weight into satellite surface temperature data as it is different to that measured by a sensor at the required 1.5 metres above ground level.

I have no idea what you're saying here but it sounds like you've somehow managed to dismiss a completely independent line of evidence which again shows the planet is warming.
    The problem with the whole temperature record is that we have three different types of temperatures all in the one curve - proxy, instrumental and satellite.

I again don't know what you're saying - where was this integrated curve presented? By whom?
    That is bad science. I still have not seen any work that has shown that surface temperatures measured by satellite are the same as those measured by a standard weather station. I have seen the opposite though.

Er what? This is from 1996 with data ending in 1995! If the "opposite" is really true why not something that makes use of the last 17 years of data (in a record that's 33 years long!)
    Satellites measure lower tropospheric temperature, which is not the same as the instrumental dataset for the past 150 years. Your chart shows up to 400% difference between even the different satellite datasets themselves, so let's keep satellite data out of a discussion on station trends.

Yes satellites measure the troposphere. Which is warming. I don't know where you got a "400% difference" from but it sounds like you made it up.
    You speak of the ocean heat content dwarfing that of the atmosphere. My point exactly. Which do you think is the driver of global atmospheric temperature? The ocean. A vast heat sink with an enormous heat flux to the overlying atmosphere. The atmosphere acts in response to the oceans.

Sorry but you don't get to simply invoke the oceans as an explanation without evidence. The evidence says the oceans are warming in response to a change in atmospheric composition. If you want to assert that actually the surface is warming because of unrelated ocean cycles you need to show this to be case. MiNdGaM3 has already posted the various ocean indices which show their negative, not positive influence. Yet temperatures on the surface remain high relative to the entire instrumental record.

The oceans also release more dissolved CO2 as they warm, which has in itself probably contributed to the CO2 record of the past half century. Warm PDO concided with the recent warming, it has now started negative within the last decade and the temperature has leveled off. With it continuing further negative in the next decade we should see the temperature continue to follow suit.

The oceans are a net sink of C02 not a source. They're absorbing approximately 50% of the extra amount added by humans. The increase of C02 in the atmosphere is completely attributable to human activity and would actually be twice what it is if not for the oceans absorbing it.
    People have their different opinions

Different opinions sure but not everyone has facts and evidence.
    , but I'm sure that in time, those of the alarmist viewpoint will discover how ridiculous the science and politics of the past 30 years has been. I do agree 100% that we need to clean things up, stop our reliance on oil, and maximise the green energy potential that lies there wasted. There is absolutely no justifiable reason why we can't meet the majority of our energy needs through wind, ocean, tidal and solar means. The reason is politics, but as I said, that's not justifiable.

I have no idea what you consider to be an alarmist viewpoint. All I've read from you here is you trying to argue there's no warming, well maybe some but it's totally natural and caused by something else. This contradicts physics and is nothing to do with politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,513 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Sorry about that broken link, this should work:

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

The rate of global temperature increase has taken some irregular upward lurches since the mid-1970s but has become almost flat-line since 2002. These are the five-year global departures from the base-line (averages from the period 1951-80 considered to be pre-AGW).

1972-76 .. -0.03

1977-81 .. +0.14

1982-86 .. +0.11

1987-91 .. +0.30

1992-96 .. +0.23

1997-2001 .. +0.44

2002-06 .. +0.55

2007-11 .. +0.54

2012 (J-A) .. +0.44

Now I'm aware that some question even this data set, but if you accept that it is reliable, the trend is clearly levelling off since the new century began. The strong El Nino in 1997-98 caused a spike to 0.55, and this value has only been exceeded in two years out of the past thirteen, equalled in one. I added the fragment from this year just to show that nothing sudden has just taken place. The value should not be taken as equally significant from so small a sample of time, so I would discourage anyone from saying "look, it's starting to drop."

The discussion of urban heat islands was interesting. I realize these data sets are supposed to filter out the urban effects, but many airports in far suburban locations are gradually being surrounded by urban sprawl. The biggest increases in urban heat islands tend to occur in the early to middle stages of development. When a town grows from about 2,000 population to 20,000, the amount of U.H.I. is on the order of 1 C deg. It takes from about there to 2 million to get the second degree of warming. Few actual urban areas are entirely regular spherical concentrations, they tend to spread out somewhat haphazardly and airports get slowly surrounded. But site differences can be enormous. I remember getting interested in this while studying Toronto airport data for a project in the 1960s. They had moved the airport weather station some distance away from the buildings (at what was then a much smaller airport than today, let's say similar to Shannon). Almost immediately, on cold nights, a slightly enhanced amount of aerial drainage and loss of the local "urban" effect dropped the monthly means at least half a degree C (it was a full degree F that we were using in Canada then). Comparison with undisturbed locations around the region showed that all of this change in mean temperature was caused by the drop on about a third of all nights in the order of 2-3 degrees. Otherwise, the station was recording probably the exact same as it would have in the old location, or very close to that. Since those days, Toronto airport has been gradually surrounded by suburbs that have become as built up as the city that used to sit well off to the southeast of the site. This likely means that YYZ has increased in temperature by at least 1 C deg, even though its local site has remained fairly undisturbed. I plan to study this again when I have time, but I suspect the new regional conditions have returned the temperature trends to what they were in the original case, although I would imagine it's a bit of a balance between a regional rise and a retention of some of the dropoff on cold nights.

We have to realize that much of the data going into the global studies are subject to these very complicated situations, it's not nearly as easy as saying "we are just using stations that are way out in the middle of nowhere" because very few weather stations are actually like that. A place like "Norfolk, Nebraska regional airport" may sound like a guaranteed farmer's field, but it too can be surrounded by suburban sprawl in today's fast-growing society. And then there's the question of what farmers are growing in their fields, the albedo effects ... getting a real reading on global changes from these ever-changing sites is not as easy as it may sound. I am always more impressed by changes in index values like foliation dates, ice cover or snow cover dates. These give us a more reliable picture of whether large-scale climate change is underway or not.

I remain convinced that most of the variations we have seen in the past thirty years are natural variability at work. And that makes me suspicious that sudden changes could lie around the corner, towards a colder climate, because that has happened many times in the past, for reasons entirely unrelated to our presence on the planet. The last 3-4 winters in Europe have shown that unexpected changes to colder weather are still possible -- that is to say, unexpected by the UN panel on climate change (who are always scrambling to find a new spin, but let's be honest, almost everyone active in weather science knows that a colder climate regime produces colder weather, not warmer weather feeding back from somewhere else).

• Advertisement

I also wanted to comment on the thread title, the past month of April was indeed 5th warmest in the data series (my previous post, link) -- but it was not the 5th warmest month of all the data, just of Aprils. In fact, the value of +0.56 deg is just about the average of the past ten years.

The warmest months in the data series were +0.88 in Jan 2007 and March 2002, +0.87. At that time, third place was Feb 1998 in the strong El Nino event which had reached +0.82. Third place was recently taken by March 2010 at +0.84. To give a bit of context, a value of +0.42 was established in Jan 1958, so like the overall record, these extremes are running about a half degree above pre-AGW data.

You're saying that if you remove the effects of ENSO etc it would reduce overall warming and sure this is likely true - for the period in which they were positive. You further assert that since recent temperatures are somewhat flat it might bring them to the point of cooling but as the graphs show for the period in which temperatures are flat, the indexes are negative. So no cooling when you correct for them.

No, The PDO is still falling and will probably reach its minimum in another 10 years or so. Its affects should therefore be stronger then and for the following decade or so.

I have no idea what you're saying here but it sounds like you've somehow managed to dismiss a completely independent line of evidence which again shows the planet is warming.

My point being that the discussion was about instrumental station records, so lower tropospheric satellite data, while showing warming, are a totally different type of fish when it comes to speaking about "surface" temperatures.

I again don't know what you're saying - where was this integrated curve presented? By whom?

The historical global temperature record curve over the past centuries, which shows relatively level proxy data up to the mid 19th century, then the miraculous spike upwards at the start of the instrumental record.

Er what? This is from 1996 with data ending in 1995! If the "opposite" is really true why not something that makes use of the last 17 years of data (in a record that's 33 years long!)

As I said, satellite and instrumental data are not interchangeable.
    Yes satellites measure the troposphere. Which is warming. I don't know where you got a "400% difference" from but it sounds like you made it up.

No I didn't make it up. If you cared to look at the individual satellite records you will see that in some areas there is a spread of around 400% in the anomaly values. Compare the red and cyan curves. These are not like ensenble forecasts, where you would expect a spread. These are MEASURED data, but even still, we have one showing a 0.1 degree anomaly while another shows 0.4 degree. In a business where 10ths of a degree count, this is crazy.

Sorry but you don't get to simply invoke the oceans as an explanation without evidence. The evidence says the oceans are warming in response to a change in atmospheric composition. If you want to assert that actually the surface is warming because of unrelated ocean cycles you need to show this to be case. MiNdGaM3 has already posted the various ocean indices which show their negative, not positive influence. Yet temperatures on the surface remain high relative to the entire instrumental record.

See my first reply above on the response to oceanic indices.
    The oceans are a net sink of C02 not a source. They're absorbing approximately 50% of the extra amount added by humans. The increase of C02 in the atmosphere is completely attributable to human activity and would actually be twice what it is if not for the oceans absorbing it.

Basic physics says that if the oceans warm, they increasingly release dissolved gases, including CO2. Therefore loss will outweigh aborption through the late 20th century warming.

Also, please explain the level trend of the past 10-12 years. If CO2 is such a big factor then why has the temperature not continued its rise, as predicted in the hockey stick models in which so much faith has been trusted. What has caused temperatures to stabilise? Surely some factor larger than CO2 is the cause???? I know a decade is not a climatic period, but another couple of years and we're then starting to get into questionable territory. Still, it wasn't shown in the models.

No, The PDO is still falling and will probably reach its minimum in another 10 years or so. Its affects should therefore be stronger then and for the following decade or so.

Right but it's still falling along with a number of other factors like solar activity you want to use to explain 20th century warming. If the factors that are supposed to be causing the warming are falling and temperatures are not then what is causing the difference?
    My point being that the discussion was about instrumental station records, so lower tropospheric satellite data, while showing warming, are a totally different type of fish when it comes to speaking about "surface" temperatures.

So let's see the surface temperature warming we see you want to explain away as an artefact of monitoring stations in urban areas, the tropospheric warming you want to explain as being completely unrelated to the surface? Then what is causing the troposphere to warm? How confident are you that it's possible for the troposphere to warm without the surface having done so?

The historical global temperature record curve over the past centuries, which shows relatively level proxy data up to the mid 19th century, then the miraculous spike upwards at the start of the instrumental record.

Again what curve is this and why are you trying to argue against it in this discussion?
    As I said, satellite and instrumental data are not interchangeable.

I haven't said they're interchangeable.

I've said the satellite data severely constrains the maximum possible UHI effect you can attribute to the surface record.
    No I didn't make it up. If you cared to look at the individual satellite records you will see that in some areas there is a spread of around 400% in the anomaly values. Compare the red and cyan curves. These are not like ensenble forecasts, where you would expect a spread. These are MEASURED data, but even still, we have one showing a 0.1 degree anomaly while another shows 0.4 degree. In a business where 10ths of a degree count, this is crazy.

What? You're eyeballing the graphs and claiming a "400% difference" that way?

Basic physics says that if the oceans warm, they increasingly release dissolved gases, including CO2. Therefore loss will outweigh aborption through the late 20th century warming.

The physics tells us the oceans are not yet warm enough to be a net contributor to atmospheric C02. They are a net sink, this is indisputable.

Since you want to argue the point though you're left with yet another inconsistency: If the oceans are a net contributor (as you claim) then why has atmospheric C02 only increased by about half of what humans emitted? Where the half of human emissions and 100% of what the oceans emitted go?
    Also, please explain the level trend of the past 10-12 years.

Natural variability was greater than warming caused by C02 over the time period.
    If CO2 is such a big factor then why has the temperature not continued its rise, as predicted in the hockey stick models

You keep using the phrase the "hockey stick models" which tells me you don't know what the hockey stick or models are.

The hockey stick is a paleoclimate reconstruction of temperatures.

Models are computer simulations of the underlying physics that drive climate. They have no relationship with each other.

The models produce periods of upto 15 years with flat temperatures where solar activity is assumed a constant.
    Still, it wasn't shown in the models.

As pointed out yes it is. The models don't attempt to predict specific periods of warming, cooling or flat temperatures but rather decadal temperature trends averaged across multiple decades.

To be perfectly honest it sounds like you've gotten all of your information from blogs and political sources. You use incorrect terms interchangeably and appear to have no idea what the various temperature records are for or how they're collected. You believe you can dismiss whole lines of evidence simply because they contract you or you don't like them.

I recommend starting with the basics and forming an understanding of how climate works and how it's studied. If you want to just form an opinion and then google for blogs that will support it then you'll certainly find plenty but you'll learn nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

The true relationship between CO2 and its role in the greenhouse effect is not fully understood.
    I remember ready a study on rock samples that showed CO2 rose after the planet warmed. So CO2 was an affect and not a cause.
    All facts should be layed out for GW theory. These silly videos of bits of uce collapsing into the sea should end. We all.know the ice goes through yearly cycles. Or polar bears on a lonely peice of ice like it never happened before 1980.

I`m on the phone so cant really back up my opinion. Feel free to brush over it ;-)

• Advertisement

I'm very well aware of how climate works and of what models are, and do not rely on blogs for my information, so less of the pompous attitude please. Are you going to respond to MT's post above? He is a real climatologist, but still puts most of the warming down to natural causes. Does he need one of your crash courses on climatology too then?

You don't seem to be able to grasp what I'm saying about the PDO, or are deliberately misquoting me - or both. Let me try again - maybe a picture will help. The PDO was positive from the 70s up to after the turn of the century, and global warming occured. Further back, it was also positive up to the 40s and similarly global warming occured. It was negative from 40s-70s and global warming stopped. It has now become negative again and hey presto - global warming has stopped. It should continue to become more negative over the next decade or so, so there is nothing to suggest that the trend of the last century will suddenly stop and the leveling or even cooling will not continue. You cannot deny that the temperature record has more or less followed the PDO.

800px-PDO.svg.png

Yes it's not as simple as all that, but for some strange reason you seem to be implying that I am saying that recent warming occured when the PDO was negative. I am saying the opposite, as above. So let's put that one to bed for once and for all.

You also don't seem to know what temperature record curve I am refering to, yet you quote it yourself. But here's a picture of it, if it will help.

image_large

About the satellite records....yes, if we're talking about warm anomalies here, then one dataset claims 4 times more warming than some others since around 2003. That is a 400% difference. (EDIT: Looking at it again the difference is actually around 300%). Compare the red to cyan or purple. If these are measured data then why the big discrepency? Which is right? Why are they different? Are surface station records not more reliable? Well, some of them are, but many have been contaminated by urbanisation. Again, I refer you to MT's post on Toronto above - work done by a real climatologist, not made up by me.

trend

Regarding the oceans - I was saying that there is an equilibirum between absorption and release of CO2. That equilibrium gets shifted towards release as the ocean warms, but I did not say that the oceans are a net source. Again that is you misquoting me.

I'm very well aware of how climate works and of what models are

If you knew what models are you would not say things like "hockey stick models" nor would you make claims about whether they predicted temperature trends over a specific time period.

If you knew how climate works you would not argue the troposphere is irrelevant in a discussion of surface temperature.

, and do not rely on blogs for my information, so less of the pompous attitude please. Are you going to respond to MT's post above? He is a real climatologist, but still puts most of the warming down to natural causes. Does he need one of your crash courses on climatology too then?

There is nothing in MT's post that helps you. His post demonstrates an understanding of the topic in contrast to yours which is all over the place.
    The PDO was positive from the 70s up to after the turn of the century, and global warming occured. Further back, it was also positive up to the 40s and similarly global warming occured. It was negative from 40s-70s and global warming stopped. It has now become negative again and hey presto - global warming has stopped.

This is the problem for you - you want to explain surface warming with ocean cycles yet the surface does not cool in response to them, only flattens. If the energy heating the surface is coming from the ocean then where is it coming from when the ocean cycle is negative?
    It should continue to become more negative over the next decade or so, so there is nothing to suggest that the trend of the last century will suddenly stop and the leveling or even cooling will not continue.

Again, what is keeping the surface warm for the last 10 years if the ocean cycle was negative? Something has to warm it all the time since the surface continuously looses energy.

You cannot deny that the temperature record has more or less followed the PDO.

Of course I can and even according your own description the temperature record does not follow the PDO but is merely partially influenced by it.

i.e.

Versus surface temperature

mean:12

This is a very poor match and you have failed to explain why temperatures don't return to the same level when the ocean cycles turn negative, they remain at a plateau which increases further in the next cycle.
    Yes it's not as simple as all that, but for some strange reason you seem to be implying that I am saying that recent warming occured when the PDO was negative. I am saying the opposite, as above. So let's put that one to bed for once and for all.

I am saying that when we apply your approach of correcting for ocean cycles it increases temperature in the period in which the cycles are negative i.e. the last 10 years.
    You also don't seem to know what temperature record curve I am refering to, yet you quote it yourself. But here's a picture of it, if it will help.

http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/myths/images/mwp/ipcc_6_1_large.jpg/image_large

I haven't referred to that graph a single time. I also note the graph you posted does not fit your previous description i.e.
    I don't put much weight into satellite surface temperature data as it is different to that measured by a sensor at the required 1.5 metres above ground level. The problem with the whole temperature record is that we have three different types of temperatures all in the one curve - proxy, instrumental and satellite. That is bad science.

The graph you presented has no satellite data and simply graphs a number of different temperature reconstructions with the CRU surface instrumental record separately graphed.

About the satellite records....yes, if we're talking about warm anomalies here, then one dataset claims 4 times more warming than some others since around 2003. That is a 400% difference.

You eyeballing graphs and pulling numbers out of your head is not data nor analysis.

If you want to claim a 400% difference between records then show your work, not "Look at that bit there, that looks sort of 400% different".
    Compare the red to cyan or purple. If these are measured data then why the big discrepency? Which is right? Whay are they different? Are surface station records not more reliable?

You're again demonstrating a fundamental lack of knowledge about climate science and science generally.

There are multiple records run by different teams because global temperature analysis is an area of active research. They disagree in areas because of differences of approaches in how data should be handled. The differences between them increase confidence they're close to the right answer, not the opposite as you're trying to claim.
    Well, some of them are, but many have been contaminated by urbanisation. Again, I refer you to MT's post on Toronto above - work done by a real climatologist, not made up by me.

All of the surface temperature records use different approaches to deal with urbanisation and it's an area of active research. However it's extremely unlikely any UHI correction will have a significant impact on the overall trend.

Regarding the oceans - I was saying that there is an equilibirum between absorption and release of CO2. That equilibrium gets shifted towards release as the ocean warms, but I did not say that the oceans are a net source. Again that is you misquoting me.

Yes you did say that. Twice.
    The atmosphere acts in response to the oceans. The oceans also release more dissolved CO2 as they warm, which has in itself probably contributed to the CO2 record of the past half century.

I am not "misquoting" you and if you keep claiming that I'll have no option but to assume we're not having an honest discussion. If you want to play games go for it but I'm not playing.

Now you still have the same problem: If oceans are merely in equilibrium with their C02 absorption/emission where are 50% of human emissions going? Do you know?

Again you continue with the attitude. My reference to "hockey stick models" was a tongue in cheek swipe at the hockey stick graph, as they show this "hockey stick" rise continuing on unabated to Doom. But if the term annoys you then I will stop using it. Jeez... :rolleyes:

Again, I do know how climate works and that tropospheric temperatures are important. What I am questioning is the accuracy of our measurement of them and how we can claim with the IPCC's "90% certainty" that they are warming at X °C/decade when there is a large spread in the measurement. Then the models are fed these data. Garbage in, garbage out.

You quickly gloss over MT's claims in a further attempt to have a swipe at me. Yes there is a lot in there that supports me - that most warming was natural, and that urbanisation does affect temperature records. Did you even read it? There's too much work there for you to just glide over.

Re. the PDO again. Take a look at the temperature record over the last century. It has more or less followed the PDO. Now zoom out to say a 1000 year scale. The last century's warmings become noise on a greater underlying trend, including the Medieval Warming and Little Ice Age. Zoom out further and we see the Milankovitch cycles and their extreme rapid warming. An everchanging roundabout of changing climate, sometimes of extreme proportions.

400000yearslarge.gif

People seem to think that the 61-90 average is the ideal normal, and anything warmer or cooler that that is a cause for concern. I don't get why the consequences of a warming climate are invariably cast as bad for everyone, as if everyone will suffer. I have also yet to see the real (not alleged) effects that recent warming has done, or indeed what the warming of the 40s did for that matter. We're hearing the scare stories but where are the disasters occuring? And let's leave media and politics out of the answer.

Re. the PDO again. Take a look at the temperature record over the last century. It has more or less followed the PDO.

I just posted the temperature record over the last century which very clearly does not follow the PDO. It's not even close.
    People seem to think that the 61-90 average is the ideal normal, and anything warmer or cooler that that is a cause for concern.

The cause for concern is the rate of change. The effect of Milankovitch cycles is felt across thousands of years. We have have every reason to think modern temperatures are unprecedented over the last couple of of thousand years and that the rate of change is unprecedented over a much longer time period.

I just posted the temperature record over the last century which very clearly does not follow the PDO. It's not even close.

Huh? The warmings coincide very closely with the positive PDO phases. How can you say they don't?

The cause for concern is the rate of change. The effect of Milankovitch cycles is felt across thousands of years. We have have every reason to think modern temperatures are unprecedented over the last couple of of thousand years and that the rate of change is unprecedented over a much longer time period.

But the at best ~100 year resolution of the proxy records is not enough to resolve decadal-scale warmings like the recent one, though they do show many noisy peaks of a similar rate all the way back through the ages. All noise of course, but still an illustration of how dangerous it is to state that "modern temperatures are unprecedented over the last couple of of thousand years and that the rate of change is unprecedented over a much longer time period."

image_large

Huh? The warmings coincide very closely with the positive PDO phases. How can you say they don't?

You can't pick a part you like and ignore the rest. You can make anything match anything if you loosen the criteria enough. Of course the oceans being warmer are going to show up as some warming on the surface as well. Nobody disputes that ocean cycles have some effect on temperatures over short periods of time.

The problem for your case is you're claiming the oceans explain warming across a long period of time when it's clear even from visual inspection that the temperature record does not follow the PDO - if it did then the temperatures would return to what they were when it turns negative. They do not.

But the at best ~100 year resolution of the proxy records is not enough to resolve decadal-scale warmings like the recent one, though they do show many noisy peaks of a similar rate all the way back through the ages. All noise of course, but still an illustration of how dangerous it is to state that "modern temperatures are unprecedented over the last couple of of thousand years and that the rate of change is unprecedented over a much longer time period."

http://ossfoundation.us/projects/environment/global-warming/myths/images/mwp/ipcc_6_1_large.jpg/image_large

The graph you posted shows modern temperatures higher now than at any point in the last 1200 years. I don't know how you think it supports you.

You can't pick a part you like and ignore the rest. You can make anything match anything if you loosen the criteria enough. Of course the oceans being warmer are going to show up as some warming on the surface as well. Nobody disputes that ocean cycles have some effect on temperatures over short periods of time.

The warming of around 1920 to the mid 40s coincided with the positive PDO from 1924-1946, the leveling off from mid 40s to mid 70s with the negative PDO of 1947-1976, and the warming again of the mid 70s to 1998 with the positive PDO of 1997-2000. PDO Source

Have a read of this 2008 study
    Evidence is presented that the recent worldwide land warming has occurred largely in response to a worldwide warming of the oceans rather than as a direct response to increasing greenhouse gases (GHGs) over land. Atmospheric model simulations of the last half-century with prescribed observed ocean temperature changes, but without prescribed GHG changes, account for most of the land warming. The oceanic influence has occurred through hydrodynamic-radiative teleconnections, primarily by moistening and warming the air over land and increasing the downward longwave radiation at the surface. The oceans may themselves have warmed from a combination of natural and anthropogenic influences.

The problem for your case is you're claiming the oceans explain warming across a long period of time when it's clear even from visual inspection that the temperature record does not follow the PDO - if it did then the temperatures would return to what they were when it turns negative. They do not.

Again, please read what I said. There are underlying larger-scale trends on which these shorter scale fluctuations are superimposed.
    The graph you posted shows modern temperatures higher now than at any point in the last 1200 years. I don't know how you think it supports you.

Again, please read what I said. The rate of change you said was unprecedented could very well have occured and not been resolved by the proxy data. Yes it shows us warmer, but exactly how much warmer is still IMO a question for debate, for the reasons I have been describing all along.

The warming of around 1920 to the mid 40s coincided with the positive PDO from 1924-1946, the leveling off from mid 40s to mid 70s with the negative PDO of 1947-1976, and the warming again of the mid 70s to 1998 with the positive PDO of 1997-2000.

I don't know how to put it any more simply.

Temperatures level off but remain at their high when the index is negative. Then temperatures increase further when the index turns positive again.

This means the ocean cycle does not explain the temperature - a warming/cooling cycle cannot explain continuous warming elsewhere.

Over decades ocean cycles cancel each other i.e. warming equals cooling as they must do because oceans are a store of energy not a source.

The ocean heat content has already been posted and it's increasing - if the oceans were transferring heat to the surface then ocean heat content would be decreasing - heat moves from point to another, it does not get duplicated in both places.

The energy imbalance has also already been discussed and the Earth is absorbing more energy than it releases, the opposite of what we expect if warming is being caused by stored energy from the oceans.

Your claim is completely contradicted by multiple observations across multiple systems.

I really don't have to keep repeating myself about the underlying multi-century-scale forcings that have been happening since time began and that can explain the slower increases in background trends. I don't know how else to word it. I'll leave it by saying that eventually the whole AGW-hype flame will burn out and nature will have the last laugh.

• Advertisement

There's no doubt in my mind that we don't fully understand all this. :)

Adding greenhouse gases to a steady-state atmosphere should warm it up. But if that leads to high latitude ice melt, especially sea ice, then we get into feedback issues that seemed to show their hand in winter 2007-08. Check the rather rapid decline in global temperatures from autumn 2007 to spring 2008 in my link earlier. This was accompanied by exceptional snowfalls in China and parts of eastern North America.

Melting arctic ice can upset the subarctic equilibrium and so, even in a steady-state atmosphere, large fluctuations could then follow. But as Su Campu has been illustrating, we don't have a steady-state natural variability situation, we have periodic changes in large-scale forcings, notably the PDO but also ENSO and NAO. My own research tends to concentrate more on external drivers, solar activity is clearly on a long-term decline since mid-20th century, but other factors that I examine are assumed to be periodic and cyclical. They are invoked more to explain month-to-month variability and cannot really explain any longer term trends.

I have the opinion (and would readily admit to it being subjective) that what we are seeing since 1980 is a series of natural variations with a background warming added on. I accept that about half a degree of warming can be explained by human activity, perhaps a bit more because if we are now in a cooling trend from background natural variability, then the true AGW signal is likely increasing gradually despite the steady state observations. But I also remain concerned about the complexity of urban effects, how do we really know whether we have totally eliminated them from our study, and in fact, should we eliminate them because large proportions of the planet are becoming urban. The real "money" question is what all of the factors do to the subarctic environment, because that's where climate change will be most critical. Changes may have taken place, but are they fundamental or just cosmetic? So far, I would say closer to cosmetic. Until we get into a regime where polar ice is gone each summer-autumn (worse than the 2007 ice min) and also a regime where Greenland is losing something like 1% a decade of its land ice, I feel that we can "weather the storm" of the slight warming and nothing much will happen to sea levels.

The question may never be resolved. Technological change may eventually subdue the rise in greenhouse gases, the outcome may be in doubt (a rise to values around +1.0 C) and debate may always continue about cause and effect. Sea levels may rise slightly and cause some dislocations, but not the mass dislocations of worst case scenarios. Then a period of colder weather might intrude (this would seem more likely after 2060 for various reasons). In some very distant future year, we might be much more concerned about preventing the onslaught of the next ice age. Future scientists may be looking at ways of generating carbon dioxide. All those rusting SUVs may be hauled out of their garages and put back on the road. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭OldRio

Best we leave the interpretations to the scientist.
    They have no hidden agendas.
    They can be trusted to come out with the correct explanation.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,427 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

compsys wrote: »
    Well Dublin Airport has had 7 since January 2011 alone and Casement has had 5 - that seems a large enough number to me. I can't comment on Ireland as a whole however.

7 months or 5 months out of 17 being cooler than the 30 year average is still an indication of a warming trend.
    If there was no warming trend then we should expect about half the months to be warmer, and half to be cooler than average.

(not that 17 months is a long enough period to make climate assessments)

The real "money" question is what all of the factors do to the subarctic environment, because that's where climate change will be most critical. Changes may have taken place, but are they fundamental or just cosmetic? So far, I would say closer to cosmetic. Until we get into a regime where polar ice is gone each summer-autumn (worse than the 2007 ice min) and also a regime where Greenland is losing something like 1% a decade of its land ice, I feel that we can "weather the storm" of the slight warming and nothing much will happen to sea levels.

I think that's a very shallow analysis - the loss of summer sea ice will represent a massive change for the Arctic. The changes seen there so far are from cosmetic. I highly recommend Neven's Arctic Sea Ice blog for keeping track of what's going on up there. He does a lot of in depth analysis of what's happening in various regions.

In terms of non-cosmetic changes there are at least two I can think of right away:

1. The Arctic dipole anomaly. This was not observed at all until recent years and it's becoming less of an anomaly and more of a permanent feature of the Arctic region.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1398
    In a 2008 article titled, Recent radical shifts of atmospheric circulations and rapid changes in Arctic climate system Zhang et al. show that the extreme loss of Arctic sea ice since 2001 has been accompanied by a radical shift of the Arctic atmospheric circulation patterns, into a new mode they call the Arctic Rapid change Pattern. The new atmospheric circulation pattern has also been recognized by other researchers, who refer to it as the Arctic Dipole (Richter-Menge et al., 2009). The old atmospheric patterns that controlled Arctic weather--the North Atlantic Oscillation (NAO) and Arctic Oscillation (AO), which featured air flow that tended to circle the pole, now alternate with the new Arctic Dipole pattern. The Arctic Dipole pattern features anomalous high pressure on the North American side of the Arctic, and low pressure on the Eurasian side.

2. Change in the composition of sea ice across the entire Arctic region. In particular since 2007 the area has gone from being dominated by multi-year ice to being dominated by ice that's only 1-2 years old. Multi year ice is much more resilient and behaves differently to recently formed ice.

I don't know how to put it any more simply.

Temperatures level off but remain at their high when the index is negative. Then temperatures increase further when the index turns positive again.

Not being of scientific mind myself would explain if temperature fluctuates at the same rate as the fluctuations in the ocean indexes?

Probably another stupid question but does actual air temperature increase at the same rate that it would decrease in any given environment? Just trying to trying to get a better grasp of some of the arguments on here.

Not being of scientific mind myself would explain if temperature fluctuates at the same rate as the fluctuations in the ocean indexes?

No. The problem is that at any given time there are many factors affecting climate.

Take a simple example that considers only ENSO and solar activity. Solar activity typically (but not always) run on an 11 year cycle on top of the normal annual season cycle while ENSO alternates between positive, negative and neutral over much shorter periods. If you try to compare temperatures at ENSO peaks, ENSO troughs and ENSO neutral they won't be synchronised with either the solar annual or 11 year cycles.

You may be comparing an ENSO peak in January at the bottom of a solar cycle with an ENSO peak in July at the top of a solar cycle.

I don't want to focus too much on cycles because people tend to become a bit manic about it and end up searching relentlessly for cycles in the temperature record and try to attribute them to various things. A much better approach is to study the physical processes in play, estimate their impact over long time periods and then see if they help explain variability.
    Probably another stupid question but does actual air temperature increase at the same rate that it would decrease in any given environment? Just trying to trying to get a better grasp of some of the arguments on here.

It depends on how long a time period you're talking about.

The shorter the period you want to talk about the more chaotic the system is. The longer the time period the less chaotic it is and the more easily it can be described in terms of simple "energy in, energy out" terms.

In order to obtain continual surface temperature increases over decades you need to keep adding more and more energy to the system. Weather patterns can produce very hot years which are in turn balanced out by cold elsewhere but weather is a manifestation of energy in the climate system not a source of it.

Oceans act to store and release energy. Over long time periods (decades) their effect is neutral, they absorb energy and cool the surface for one period, they release energy and warm the surface for another. Every single joule of energy has to be accounted for because that's how physics works.

Oceans are a major source of variability i.e. temperature trends on a scale of about 10 years or less. They typically do not explain shifts in climate unless something in the ocean cycle itself changes (for example we're all familiar with the gulf stream and its effect in Ireland, a change to it could cause a major impact to Ireland's climate although globally there would be little change because the energy would just go somewhere else).

I think that's a very shallow analysis - the loss of summer sea ice will represent a massive change for the Arctic. The changes seen there so far are from cosmetic. I highly recommend Neven's Arctic Sea Ice blog for keeping track of what's going on up there. He does a lot of in depth analysis of what's happening in various regions.

In terms of non-cosmetic changes there are at least two I can think of right away:

1. The Arctic dipole anomaly. This was not observed at all until recent years and it's becoming less of an anomaly and more of a permanent feature of the Arctic region.

http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=1398

2. Change in the composition of sea ice across the entire Arctic region. In particular since 2007 the area has gone from being dominated by multi-year ice to being dominated by ice that's only 1-2 years old. Multi year ice is much more resilient and behaves differently to recently formed ice.

Oi, you slated me for allegedly getting my info from blogs when in fact you're the one doing it!!!!! :pac:

Oi, you slated me for allegedly getting my info from blogs when in fact you're the one doing it!!!!! :pac:

Using blogs to supplement knowledge is not a problem. Neven's blog relates information from scientific papers, published data sources and actual scientists. This is contrary to the stuff you've presented which is claimed novel research that contradicts what scientists have published.

If you want to understand what scientists are saying you need to start with that, not with random anonymous internet people that claim the experts are all wrong or frauds.

Using blogs to supplement knowledge is not a problem. Neven's blog relates information from scientific papers, published data sources and actual scientists. This is contrary to the stuff you've presented which is claimed novel research that contradicts what scientists have published.

If you want to understand what scientists are saying you need to start with that, not with random anonymous internet people that claim the experts are all wrong or frauds.

Oh lighten up, it was a joke!!!

• Advertisement

And the references I cited are all reputable sources, including the Brazilian one, which uses NASA data.

Advertisement