Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

PGDE-Biology & Junior Cert Science

• 18-05-2012 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi All,I'm considering taking up any offer for a Postgraduate Diploma in Education for Secondary School teaching this September in Maynooth. Financially I cant really afford it.I would have to take out a very large loan which I dread the thought of,however looking at the bigger picture I would think It would be worth it.I am undecided.

My question is this:

My subjects that I would be qualified to teach are Junior Certificate Science & Biology.Has anyone just had these subjects and how did they get on job wise following the hdip,are you working?
    I will not be qualified to teach maths.I'm afraid this will restrict me when looking for work and for interviews.If a teacher has all 3 subjects Biology,Math & JC Science obviously they will be given the position over me.
    What are the chances of me getting work with no teaching experience only just the one year teaching practice for the Hdip?
    My big fear is that I will spend thousands doing this course and then not be able to find a job.I looked up educationposts.ie and there is currently only 8 secondary schools jobs going in ALL counties.One was Science Biology & maths.Which would not suit me because of the maths

Any replies would be greatly appreciated,Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

There are posts all over this board asking the same thing. There are few to no jobs in teaching regardless of subject combinations (as you noted yourself). And in coming out next year you are behind a rake of qualified teachers like myself with several years experience who are still struggling to find a job with anything close to full hours and can only dream of any kind of permanency.

Having said that if teaching is ultimately what you want then this year is the final year that the dip is one year. If you don't do it this year it's going to be even more expensive in the years to come.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

I'd agree with the above poster.

If you think its expensive now, wait til it becomes a 2 year course.

I'm teaching for 6 years with Biology and Science as my subjects.

No permanent job but only without work for 2 weeks in those 6 years.
    I have taught Maths and Chemistry as well and will more than likley do a Masters in either Maths or Chemistry teaching in the next year or two.

It's becoming an outragously competitive job to get into to and will probably get even worse when the changes are made to the Junior Cert and if Transition Year is ever done away with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 hdip

'I have taught Maths and Chemistry as well and will more than likley do a Masters in either Maths or Chemistry teaching in the next year or two'.

Do you mind me asking were you 'qualified' to teach maths and chemistry at the time,or did you teach those subjects before teachers had to have hdips done?

I'm guessing there are a very large amount of teachers who have years of teaching experience and are returning to do the hdip because its a requirement.
    Therefore all these experienced teachers have a much greater advantage of getting a job over the likes of me who will only have the one year teaching practice.

Just want as many opinions as possible,as I am still very undecided

That's what I mean, according to the teaching council, I'm unqualified to teach Maths & Chemistry.

I have both in my degree just not to the level they want (30%) of your degree.

I would say it was a little easier in 2007. I went for a bio/chem/science job & said I'd be able for the chemistry & I was.
    It's probably my favourite subject to teach

oh right,thanks for your reply. that's what I was thinking.

So can you teach chemistry and maths now? or are they strict because your not 'qualified' under the teaching councils requirements?

There must be lots of older teachers who are permanent out there who are teaching subjects they aren't qualified in,do you think?

Whats the story there?

• Advertisement

I am teaching Maths at the moment, not chemistry.

And no, 3rd time now, I'm not recognized by the TC in these two subjects. I will do an M.Ed to get qualified at some point to make myself more employable etc.

I would say there are a HUGE number of teachers out there with Science & Business degrees who are teaching Maths at various levels.

I would consider myself a good Maths teacher & often find it difficult to fathom why one would need to have studied maths to such depth if one was only teaching junior cert honors & LC OL.

I have taught LC honors, and yes, it was tough and I was out of my comfort zone initially but you get through it and become proficient.

I would liken it to someone who has done a Zoology degree. He/she has done no biochemistry or botany in their degree & yet can teach LC Biology according to the TC even though he/she mightn't have a clue of 2/3 of the LC Bio course.

yes I agree,its silly.

I'm just afraid during an interview when asked what are my subjects are,and I'll be replying Biology and Junior Cert Science,I wont stand a chance compared to all the other teachers with years of experience of teaching Biology,JC & Maths

A lot of my Degree was Chemistry and Maths.I was surprised I wouldn't be able to teach them.Anyhow may just get over it :)At the minute I'm thinking of not doing the Hdip.I don't want to spend thousands I don't have and end up jobless or working for a few hours every week.

Advertisement