Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Milk showing positive????

Options
  • 18-05-2012 9:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

Hi Guys
    Im wondering if anyone can help. When milk is collected and then tested its showing positive for inhibitors, even though none of the cows are on any medicine. I have sent in samples from every cow and one might show up positive then next day it will be negative then another cow will show up positive and negative next day. I am baffled, This is going on for a few weeks. I thought it might be detergent used for cleaning paps but not. Has this happened to anyone before???:confused::confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

had an issue 2 years ago my sample tested positive for inhibiters but the lorry sample passed so i was only fined on my own milk.the thing is i had not used any antibiotics for 2 months before it.argued my case and the next milk report came with no fine so i thought i was ok but they fined me at the end of the year and then the sample was destroyed so i couldnt get it checked out:mad:but one thing im sure of there was no antibiotics used ,the only thing i did was feed a few bales that weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Hanahuna

I was doing alot of googling and I came up with mold/mycotoxins. I have recently changed the feed, its maize with corn kernels in it. Apparently mycotoxins can be on maize before harvested. It can make a cow unwell too and kill them in some cases. I will try use the mycotoxin binders to see what happens. Hopefully no more false positives. As ;ab not the mst friendly after it all:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭pms7

Yes that is right. If maize goes off a bit it can grow penicillin. Heard of a guy who failed, 30 out of 90 cows tested +, maize was the problem. No good as an excuse to the coop though. Same result for them. BE CAREFUL WITH MAIZE!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

the bales i fed were only made a month and only fed them as the weather was bad and they were kind of in the way(4of them)it was only toppings but i have a suspicion that they caused it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

would it be possible to get the maize feed tested for mould/mycotoxins?

• Advertisement

I was reading this on google so not sure how true it is but it says that you can get binders which basically act as a magnet inside the cow to stop it affecting the cow, also you can send maize off to get it tested to a lab, so I must ask vet where to send this. Had a few casualties lately and no obvious reason for it maybe this is why. I recently ordered a load of maize powder type stuff and had just started using it and have just done a field of maize also. Wasnt aware it was so bad. Also it says that you can test maize by UV light but not sure if this shows up mycotoxins. If its not mold/moycotoxins I give up!! :confused: though I was crazy blaming maize but now reading your responses I guess not thanks

pms7 wrote: »
    Yes that is right. If maize goes off a bit it can grow penicillin. Heard of a guy who failed, 30 out of 90 cows tested +, maize was the problem. No good as an excuse to the coop though. Same result for them. BE CAREFUL WITH MAIZE!

Do you know whether it maize he grew himself or did he get it from a supplier. The one I had was a powder with bit of corn in it.
    Suppose I may keep the maize for ethanol now lol
    Will just use th small buckets of maize from co-op

Advertisement