Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holly hedge

Options
  • 18-05-2012 9:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭

Wondering if Ilex x altaclarensis can be clipped to form a decent hedge? Going to put in a holly hedge and as a specimen it grows better for me than common holly but unsure as to its tolerance for the shears.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭shrubs

We topiarise them fairly regularly and have seen some hedges of them. The only problem I've seen is that they need to be quite thick as the stem gets fairly large pretty quick , leading to ugly looking growth on the sides. They actually make quite an attractive large hedge. Any particular cultivar you were thinking of?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭Silvics

Thanks. Just Golden King-I think it might be difficult to get quantities of any other cultivar and the proposed hedge length is about 50m.
    Out of curiousity, do perhaps know of anyone who wholesales Ilex verticillata?

Advertisement