Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

6 Weeks Pregnant

Options
  • 18-05-2012 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

So it wasn't planned but it seems I will be having a baby as long as everything goes to plan. I have only really decided to go ahead with the pregnancy in the last couple days and I have absolutely no idea what I should be doing apart from no alcohol and cigarettes.

I have been sick a couple of times but think it was more down to nerves than anything as I am doing going to crisis counselling with the father and he's a bit all over the place. Other than that I am just tired and feel quite happy, almost giddy now.

I was looking at those places that have early scans and I was wondering if it was worth the money? Anyone have any experience with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭TwoMums2Be

Congrats & best of luck with the counselling :)

First thing to do is get yourself folic acid & start taking it tomorrow (if you haven't been doing so already), I take pregnacare plus & find it great (it includes the folic acid)!

If you haven't been to the docs you need to get your pregnancy confirmed to start the ball rolling with the maternity hospital :)

Early scans are not necessary but are nice :) Depending on your maternity hospital you might not get your first hospital scan until 20ish weeks...if that is the case I personally would like the reassurance of an early scan. If money is tight you might prefer to keep that money for a 3D scan later on in your pregnancy when you will get to see your babies features.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Iwillcope

I think I would like to get one as soon as possible and I started on Folic acid last week although have been told it may even be too late.

My pregnancy was confirmed but I will go back this week for a quick check up, it's all very weird but kind of exciting too.

Also I was wondering if there were any fathers around who could let me know how they felt when they discovered they were going to be a Dad? The father is in a complete state over it but I don't want to pressure him too much, he's being very good about getting counselling and he seems to want to work through but I still think he is hoping for an abortion.

There is nothing you can do re the folic acid being too late at this stage except start taking it now & keep your fingers crossed :)

Re the fathers opinions it might be worth your while putting a post in the fathers thread...I'm sure they won't mind or starting a new thread specifically named to attract them...they may not read this thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Hi and congrats!:)
    Try not to worry about the folic acid, I was about the same as you when I found out I was pregnant and there is lots that don't find out until later on! Best of luck with everything!x

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Piper101

Hi congratulations on your pregnancy, it'll work out for the best...

I had an early scan at 7 weeks 1 day and while it was nice to see the heartbeat it still hasnt stopped me worrying!!! if you decide to do it try and wait until you're a little further along, I wish id waited until 9 weeks really do!!! it was €95 in mount carmel

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭scurnane

Iwillcope wrote: »
    I think I would like to get one as soon as possible and I started on Folic acid last week although have been told it may even be too late.

My pregnancy was confirmed but I will go back this week for a quick check up, it's all very weird but kind of exciting too.

Also I was wondering if there were any fathers around who could let me know how they felt when they discovered they were going to be a Dad? The father is in a complete state over it but I don't want to pressure him too much, he's being very good about getting counselling and he seems to want to work through but I still think he is hoping for an abortion.

I became a dad for the first time 8 weeks ago. I remember going to the scans and feeling weird cos it was mainly between the doctor and the mother. I think fathers have to wait till the birth to really grasp how great it is to have a child. Something the mother may have had 9 months to grasp. I used to feel the kicks inside the belly and helped organising baby stuff before the birth but it really hits home when the baby is handed to you and you realise that you have an unconditional love towards them.

Im sure your partners head has been turned upside down like yours but he may take longer to sort it out. The main thing is to keep up the talking because ye will be leaning on each other for support over the next few months.

Best of luck with it, whatever route ye take.

He's not my partner you see so it's even weirder for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Congrats on your pregnancy. As regards folic acid don't worry too much because its added to lots of food so you've been getting it if you eat breakfast cereal or bread. Just keep taking the supplement until 12 weeks of I remember correctly.

For the early scan it's better if you leave it until 8-9 weeks because you'll see a lot more. I know it's hard to wait but it's worth it.

Congrats on your pregnancy. As regards folic acid don't worry too much because its added to lots of food so you've been getting it if you eat breakfast cereal or bread. Just keep taking the supplement until 12 weeks of I remember correctly.

For the early scan it's better if you leave it until 8-9 weeks because you'll see a lot more. I know it's hard to wait but it's worth it.

I haven't eaten carbs in several months? ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about. Lots of women have unplanned pregnancies and their babies are healthy.

• Advertisement

I just told the Dad I wanted to keep the baby, he has said he wants nothing to do with it but he did say he will tell his parents once I get my first scan.

Sitting here on my own feeling totally devastated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭beeroclock

I just told the Dad I wanted to keep the baby, he has said he wants nothing to do with it but he did say he will tell his parents once I get my first scan.

Sitting here on my own feeling totally devastated.

Im a father myself and its the greatest thing that has ever happened to me. I dont know your circumstances but I assume they are different to mine, I am married etc... so I wish you the best of luck and I hope being a parent brings you as much happiness as it does me

Now regarding mister "wants nothing to do with it" I want to slap him him across his 12 year old head and tell him cop on but its up to him how he deals with his actions and being a dad is not something to want to do nothing with

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eisha

Hi and congrats on your pregnancy :)
    I'm in a similar situation to you 7 weeks pregnant and not with the dad. It is a massive shock for both parents to be and will take a while to get used to the idea. I hope everything works out for you and that the dad is there for you. In the meantime look after yourself, eat healthy and get plenty of rest and before you know it you will be holding your little baby :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Squiggler

Re the folic acid. If you were eating foods high in folic acid you've nothing to worry about. Those include lentils and beans, leafy greens, citrus fruits, broccoli and avocados.

If you wait until 12 weeks or so you'll be able to see something that looks more like a baby in the scan. There really isn't much to see at 6 weeks.

Good luck.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Congratulations :) having a baby is the best thing in the world.. it is hard and you'll have moments when you'll think "Jesus I must be mad for doing this" :D but once you meet your little one, you'll never want to be without him/her for a moment..

Have you started on any Pregnacare or anything like that? I took these

m2bc.jpg

You'll get your folic acid and loads of other good stuff in them..

Re the Dad, I'd imagine a lot of Fathers to be in that situation start off with that attitude.. Maybe when he sees your little bump starting to blossom and see's how much he's missing out on, he'll change his tune.. stranger things have happened :)

In the meantime, good on you and I wish you all the best with your pregnancy
    :)

To be honest I haven't heard from him since yesterday so I think that's that. He normally responds to calls or emails so think he's just going to do a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Rose35

First of all congratulations!!!! Its hard I know when you feel you are all alone in this, had similiar experience at the beginning of my pregnancy but thankfully he has come around, give him time, men dont experience what we do, for me the bonding was instant. Dont despair and look after your self and wellbeing both mentally and physically, I know what you are going through, but hopefully it will change during the pregnancy even though it might just happen only for him when his baby arrives. good luck with it, talk to your friends and family about how you feel, don't feel you are so alone, im sure you will have lots of support.

It's been a big decision for you but you ultimately have control over the decision. Your decision to carry on with the pregnancy may have freaked him out & he may be backlashing to his lack of control in the process.

The fact he has said he will tell his parents is a good sign :) he might come around in time - fingers crossed for all of you that he does!

This is pretty personal but I gather your relationship wasn't overly serious...it might be a case that he thinks if he is to be a part of the babies life that he needs to commit to a relationship with you - shotgun wedding etc :) I'm not asking for a response as it is between the two of you but it might be a conversation worth trying to have with him (you may of course of already discussed this together) as you might find he wants to be part of his child's life but is scared of commitment!

You will get lots of support here & you may well have very supportive grandparents even if dad is not in the picture :)

I don't know, I am going to leave him alone for a while. We don't really have any mutual friends so I don't really have anyone who can keep an eye on him though, I don't think his mental health is all that great at the moment. Thanks for the replies.

I had to send him a text about something and his number is no longer in service. He is such an asshole. I can't believe he is doing this to me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭NinjaNikki

Congrats i'm sure if you and the father are not meant to be then that's it your a strong minded woman and when you feel the child kick for the 1st time you know you and the little one can do anything in the world! :D

NEED ADVICE MYSELF :)

did 3 home pregnancy test today all positive around 3 min mark then about 10 there all negative the 1st line is faint as well not sure if i'm pregnant or not?

I think that happens after a while, I would imagine you are pregnant. :)

I think that happens after a while, I would imagine you are pregnant. :)

****ing hell that's mad i'm gonna get a blood test though to prove it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I had to send him a text about something and his number is no longer in service. He is such an asshole. I can't believe he is doing this to me.

Just give it time... I know your dealing with it too, but it's hard for him aswell. Also that's probably an error with his number: even if he changed it, the number would still stay active (unless he was on bill. And no network provider cuts off numbers that quickly), so it might be fine again tomorrow.

And even in a planned, very much wanted pregnancy it can take guys longer to get used to the fact that they are going to be a father... so in an unplanned pregnancy it can take even longer, and be harder. Not hearing from him for a day isn'y very long: and he has told you he will tell his parents, he was going for the crisis counselling with you: he might just need a few days?

Not that that excuses disappearing, don't get me wrong, but it's better he gets his head together now, rather than in 8 months time.

Ninjanikki that can happen with pregnancy tests: try the clearblue digital they are great they tell you pregnant/not pregnant so theres no lines. But the instructions on all definately say after ten minutes they aren't reliable! I think if they are showing positive (and three of them) you probably are pregnant though :)

cyning wrote: »
    Just give it time... I know your dealing with it too, but it's hard for him aswell. Also that's probably an error with his number: even if he changed it, the number would still stay active (unless he was on bill. And no network provider cuts off numbers that quickly), so it might be fine again tomorrow.

And even in a planned, very much wanted pregnancy it can take guys longer to get used to the fact that they are going to be a father... so in an unplanned pregnancy it can take even longer, and be harder. Not hearing from him for a day isn'y very long: and he has told you he will tell his parents, he was going for the crisis counselling with you: he might just need a few days?

Not that that excuses disappearing, don't get me wrong, but it's better he gets his head together now, rather than in 8 months time.

Ninjanikki that can happen with pregnancy tests: try the clearblue digital they are great they tell you pregnant/not pregnant so theres no lines. But the instructions on all definately say after ten minutes they aren't reliable! I think if they are showing positive (and three of them) you probably are pregnant though :)

They showed im pregnant for the 1st min or 2 then the 2nd line faded away became a negative test how do i go about a blood test?

NinjaNikki wrote: »
    They showed im pregnant for the 1st min or 2 then the 2nd line faded away became a negative test how do i go about a blood test?

Just go to your gp: I'd bring a urine sample with you too though... they might want to do another test while your there aswell.

cyning wrote: »
    Just go to your gp: I'd bring a urine sample with you too though... they might want to do another test while your there aswell.

what if urine says i'm not though can blood tell better?

NinjaNikki wrote: »
    what if urine says i'm not though can blood tell better?

It can: a blood test will detect HCG but they normally repeat it again to see if levels are doubling... if you go to your doc they should be able to help. To be honest urine tests are normally quite accurate though, once your past a certain past in your cycle.

Cyning is right a urine test will tell you everything you need to know...the instructions will tell you that it is the result in the first 3mins that matters & not all docs will do a HCG blood test as its not necessary :)

Iwillcope - as your name says if you truly want this baby you will cope & you have to be prepared that that may involve you raising the child by yourself. The father has showed willing in the fact he went to counselling & has said he will tell his parents - you mentioned that he was hoping for an abortion so the fact that he will have a baby has sent him running for now but he might come back in time.

For now, you have to decide if you want the baby even if that means you will be a single parent as that may be the case you end up with. If you decide you do then if he changes his mind that's a bonus :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement