Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bullseye tonight

Options
  • 18-05-2012 9:28pm

Was watching a rerun of a 1985 episode of Bullseye on Challenge tonight. One of the prizes on the prize board was a stereo television. Which got me thinking... I was of the assumption that NICAM didn't really take off until the early 90s?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

I would guess it was for use with VCRs rather than broadcast TV, and would not have been NICAM.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,884 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

...And the VCR was probably non-HiFi so it had two crappy linear sound tracks on the edge of the tape, even more hissy than a mono VHS, and if the tape or VCR was worn then the tape edge would get creased and make the sound come and go.

HiFi sound on VHS was recorded in with the picture information and even on long play sounded quite good, it was more tolerant of dodgy tapes as well (I used to keep 2 or 3 tapes which were constantly re-recorded for years.)

Don't know we're born, these days, with DVRs :D

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Antenna

Karsini wrote: »
    Was watching a rerun of a 1985 episode of Bullseye on Challenge tonight. One of the prizes on the prize board was a stereo television. Which got me thinking... I was of the assumption that NICAM didn't really take off until the early 90s?

Those TVs would have had an FM stereo radio tuner built in.
    Some concerts etc were simulcast on TV and Radio (often BBC Radio 3)

So only occasionally was there an opportunity to hear TV broadcasts with stereo sound.

There would of course have been no problem with time lags between TV and radio back then!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

Karsini wrote:
    Was watching a rerun of a 1985 episode of Bullseye on Challenge tonight.
    Wow very nice........ I havent seen that show IN ALONG TIME MATE!!!

Last I saw it,it was IN ANALOGUE!!! (That tells ya how far back i saw it (THE GOOD DAYS))

Advertisement