Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garage is charging for their mistake

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Firblog wrote: »
    said he hadn't looked at it since Monday as they had been very busy
    He sees your girlfriend as a pushover. Get legal, and see how quickly he changes his tune.
    mrjoneill wrote: »
    As for the car not now being ready and a roadworthy state I would be coming off the fence and getting down to real issues and not discussing but laying down the rules and further to this not being satisfactory getting a friend with tow rope to tow it from the garage and beginning a legal process for to compensate you for what appears a gross incompetence. Beginning with a report from an auto engineer and getting redress. The SCC ceiling is only €2k.
    This sounds like the best idea, as the garage sounds like they've become a bit of a cowboy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Any chance it was just a faulty belt?

Also, has the garage actually tried billing the OPs O/H like the thread title suggests; I couldn't find a definite mention of this in the thread.

7 weeks is taking the mickey IMO, especially as they haven't supplied a courtesy car to help her out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

whats the upshot op?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Linoge

said he hadn't looked at it since Monday as they had been very busy... QUOTE]

What a joke. Has he had other cars sitting in there for 8 weeks too? Your car should be the priority and should be the reason why he is pushing back other work. You have been overly reasonable with this guy so far as far as I can see. Is he an approved Honda dealer?

Because you have been too reasonable, when you start to push anything now this guy is going to turn nasty. Save yourself money now by contacting a good solicitor now before dealing with him again. Dont show your cards just yet.

And good luck - its frustrating just reading how you are being treated!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭Firblog

Went out yesterday morning, under strict orders not to say anything...

Jeep still not running correctly, he reckons that it is either a prob with the cams not locking/unlocking? or the engine mgt system is not getting correct data from engine, as it is a slightly different model..
    he says if it is a physical/cam prob that he can fix he will; if not then he's gonna take out the 'new' engine and get another, this time the exact one that should go into it.

I have to say that having listened to the man, he seems to be genuinely trying to get this sorted, don't think he's some lazy/useless/feckless shyster just trying to rip someone off. His customer interaction & organisation skills are pretty non existant but there is no malice there.

No money has changed hands since the replacement timing belt went in, but from listening I think he will be expecting to get paid for the engine at the very least, not sure about any of the labour put in...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Greyfoot

Never heard of a brand new faulty timing belt before..
    Wrong install is 99.9999% the case, belt jumped a teeth, timing fooked, probability of damaged valves/pistons/cams is another 99.9999%.
    Yo man is not competent(or more likely doesnt give a flying fook) enough to do an overhaul and correct the serious mistake they made.
    Getting a cheap 2nd hand engine is the cheapest option for anyone with half a brain even with limited mechanical knowledge like myself.

It is also worth mentioning that changing vital parts on the replacement engine is also a must on most cases except when it is proven that they been changed recently.

What he wants to do is get it done as cheaply as possible but of course not as fast as he can because if he was working on the car he would be losing other jobs.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me...

No word from him in the last week..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,737 ✭✭✭MidlandsM

feckin hell..........................

Aye.. my sentiments too. She goin out again on Monday...

Well, CRV finally on the road again - made some alteration to the cam on the 'new' engine to fool the engine mgt system seemingly.

Paid €650...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,302 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

to fool the engine mgt system
    I'd be worried what lights he stopped coming up on the dashboard...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,602 ✭✭✭✭kippy

This whole thing sounds like a mess. I wouldn't have any confidence in the car and if it were me I would try move it on asap.

the_syco wrote: »
    I'd be worried what lights he stopped coming up on the dashboard...

When we were out there 2 weeks ago - after he'd put in the 'new' engine - the engine was spluttering and stalling when idleing; since she's gotten it back it hasn't stalled or spluttered at all.

I too think the whole thing a bit of a mess, however on the plus side...

the guy has a great rep, if anything a bit too fussy

Having spoken to him, I have to say he seems as honest as anyone I've ever dealt with

But we'll not really know untill there's a couple of thousand miles up on it..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭dharn

sounds like the story might have a happy ending :)

Advertisement