Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Mortgage to Take Out

Options
  • 18-05-2012 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Wondering what is the best mortgage option at present for a first time buyer.

Which bank
    Which product (Variable, fixed)

Can a first time buyer go straight for a variable mortgage or do they have to fix at the beginning?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

If looking for your first mortgage, you need to establish which lenders will give you the mortgage you need. For example, AIB will offer 92% loans meaning that you need to have an 8% deposit plus legal fees, Stamp Duty and other costs. ICS will do 90%, KBC 80% etc.

Each lender also has its own lending criteria - all lenders might not approve you for the loan you want.

But assuming that you can choose from any lender you like, I think interest rate is one of the most important deciding factors. At the moment, AIB have the lowest variable rates.

Fixed rates are generally more expensive than variable rates. I only recommend them to people who are happy to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind of knowing what your repayments will be for a set period.

You don't have to fix at the start of a mortgage - you can go variable if you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭19driver83

If looking for your first mortgage, you need to establish which lenders will give you the mortgage you need. For example, AIB will offer 92% loans meaning that you need to have an 8% deposit plus legal fees, Stamp Duty and other costs. ICS will do 90%, KBC 80% etc.

Each lender also has its own lending criteria - all lenders might not approve you for the loan you want.

But assuming that you can choose from any lender you like, I think interest rate is one of the most important deciding factors. At the moment, AIB have the lowest variable rates.

Fixed rates are generally more expensive than variable rates. I only recommend them to people who are happy to pay a bit extra for the peace of mind of knowing what your repayments will be for a set period.

You don't have to fix at the start of a mortgage - you can go variable if you want.

Id prefer to go with AIB and my choice would be to go variable. But Im sure I read on AIB.ie that I cannot go variable straight away as a first time buyer...is this correct or is this just an AIB stipulation?

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Liam D Ferguson

19driver83 wrote: »
    Id prefer to go with AIB and my choice would be to go variable. But Im sure I read on AIB.ie that I cannot go variable straight away as a first time buyer...is this correct or is this just an AIB stipulation?

That's not correct. You can choose a variable rate as a first-time buyer with AIB.

Advertisement