Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade Dell 4600

Options
  • 18-05-2012 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭

I have an old Dell 4600 3.06Ghz P4 here that I am using as a home server, I am using it as a DVR for an IP camera and also have 3CX phone system installed on it, and a few other bits and pieces like TED and Bitcommet, I am thinking about shoving a 2Tb drive into it to use it as a NAS device and upgrade the Mobo, Processor and Ram. Onboard graphics would be fine with the motherboard as I have no monitor attached.

Any thoughts on what I could do with it ?

Its runs at around 90 watts at the moment which equates to about a tenner a month so I wouldn't like to really go above that if I could.

I have a copy of XP that I'll transfer across onto it

Am trying to get it done for €100.00 - €150.00 not including the drive.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bin it and pickup a used core2duo machine. it will be faster, use much less electricity , and you'll be able to stick much more ram in it. There is no point putting money into 4600 or any P4.

Advertisement