Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Resellers

Options
  • 18-05-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I have a quick question for you all those au faux with consumers issues. There is place on Liffey Street that sells second hand mobile phones and they currently have a phone for sale which is of interest to me.

My question is; if I buy a phone from them and it turns out to be faulty/blacklisted etc., do I have any comeback vis a vis Sale of Goods Act? Or is it a case of cavest emptor with them.

Any help much obligied.

Richard

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭Sam Mac

Those shops are dodgy enough when and if there was anything wrong with the phone, they usually couldn't care less. Watch out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

That's assuming the phone you are interested in isn't a fake of course !

Ken

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

there is ALWAYS a comeback when you buy it from a business. just make sure they put the phone details (IMEI, etc) on the docket/receipt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

If it's CeX the OP is talking about, they're a very reputable, and provide a 12 month warranty

(taken from their UK website)
    CeX offers a twelve [12] month warranty on all items except consumables. The CeX twelve [12] month warranty does not cover physical damage, water damage, or any damage caused by unlocking a mobile phone, and only covers software faults arising in the course of normal use

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

If it's CeX the OP is talking about, they're a very reputable, and provide a 12 month warranty

(taken from their UK website)

i can't think of any other shop in that area (although it's been a while since i've been), CeX over here have an exceptional reputation, I've never had an issue with a purchase, I can only assume the shop in Ireland should live up to the same standards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭richard2010

Thanks for all the replies-most helpful.

I cant say for definite whether or not it is this CeX store but the website looks like the exterior of the shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

If you buy a second hand product from a business, as part of their normal operations, then all your normal consumer rights will apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

I've bought and sold a few things through CEX (after getting sick of Tire Kickers on adverts:mad:), before they buy anything electrical they take it in for testing, with took twenty four hours with a digital camera so it's more than just a point and click sort of text. I've also bought electronics from them and they come with a twelve month warranty.
    To be honest I'd have no problem dealing with them- especially compared to a lot of other second hand re-sellers, not wanting to be slanderous so I want say any more.

Considering you want to buy a phone, I'd ask to make a call using your sim that way you can tell if it is blacklisted (just for reference a blacklisted handset will still pick up a signal just not have access to any network services eg call, text or data).

Advertisement