Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Build PC - first time - good to go?!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

Looks good but go the extra tenner or so for the k as in the future you have the turbo boost where it speeds itself up. Just a suggestion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

I'd spend the extra 2 euro on a WD drive for the sake of an extra year's warranty.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/39658/WD+Caviar+Blue+1TB+SATA+3+6Gb+s.article

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭gbro800

Thanks for the suggestion, was actually thinking about it even though I'm not into overclocking at the moment. The option would be there down the line if I ever changed my mind. The k version is just 40euro more on that website so not too much extra.

Monotype wrote: »
    I'd spend the extra 2 euro on a WD drive for the sake of an extra year's warranty.

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/7200+RPM/39658/WD+Caviar+Blue+1TB+SATA+3+6Gb+s.article

Good tip Mono, might go for that instead, similar specs too :D

40 is a fair amount if you're not going to use it. However, overclocking is very easy with big gains and poses little risk as long as your careful. It also increases the resale value of the CPU as a few years down the road it would be the best CPU in the line.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Craig B

Monotype wrote: »
    40 is a fair amount if you're not going to use it. However, overclocking is very easy with big gains and poses little risk as long as your careful. It also increases the resale value of the CPU as a few years down the road it would be the best CPU in the line.

Its a bit of a difference but makes it a MUCH better CPU imo.
    And like you said the re-sale value is great.

I suppose if your strictly against over clocking it and keeping the machine for a long time, it would be wasteful paying extra. I think I'll go for it just in case, have more options with it. Tho I'm now into overclocking now, this time last year I didn't see myself building my own machine and who knows, if the build goes well, I might get more sucked into this and want to do more with it :D

*now = should be *not

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

gbro800 wrote: »
    I suppose if your strictly against over clocking it and keeping the machine for a long time, it would be wasteful paying extra. I think I'll go for it just in case, have more options with it. Tho I'm now into overclocking now, this time last year I didn't see myself building my own machine and who knows, if the build goes well, I might get more sucked into this and want to do more with it :D

Get yourself a decent cpu cooler in that case, you will need it if overclocking, adn if you dont it will likely be quieter than stock cooler, so its not a complete waste of money

A better heatsink would be no harm alright. You could downgrade the PSU too as there's no real need for 550W without a graphics card.

• Advertisement
Advertisement