Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scenic, Quiet, Wild Camping Spots?

Options
  • 18-05-2012 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

A few friends and I were thinking about going camping this summer. We don't want to spend hours getting there, so it'd need to be within bus trip of Dublin (we don't drive). I'm interested in taking some pictures while we're out there so somewhere with great scenic landscapes would be perfect! :)

Also, being the young lads we are, we're going to be taken a hefty supply of alcohol and to avoid being disturbed, raided by undesirables, or upsetting locals with noise, we'd like somewhere where we're unlikely to run into other people.

I know it's a tall order but that's why I came to boards. Anyone got any knowledge to share?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

My friends and I used to do just that in the Wicklow mountains.

Train to Bray and a walk up and over Bray head until you get into the Mountain wilderness. Just avoid farms and walking off the cliffs and you should be alright.

The scenery is breathtaking.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fluddles

That sounds just about perfect. Thank you!

Just a question to add. You say walk up and over Bray head until you get into the wilderness. Any sort of estimate for how long we'd be walking after we get off the train? Just want to cover all our bases.

I think it would take about 1.5 - 2 hours to get to a decent spot.

From the train you head to the main seafront and walk towards bray head , it takes about 20 mins to get to the beginning of the trail. If you start by heading for the cross on summit of Bray Head It should take a further 20 - 30 mins to reach the cross depending on your general fitness (Its pretty steep and can be tough to clamber up in parts).

When you get up near the cross veer right along the hiking trail and follow it until you get around the back of the mountain. Then its just a case of walking until you spot an area you like the look of off the main trail (Right of the trail provides safer and better camping) . It is possible to get really off the beaten track up there but I strongly recommend keeping away from the cliffs and staying on the Dublin side of the trail if your branching out. Set up camp before dark. Whatever you do don't walk too far from the campsite after dark as you could literally wander off the cliffs.

Keep your heads about you and try not to attract search and rescue. ;)

Ive done it about 30 times in the past and loved it.

We used to set up camp in a rocky area between some small hill like peaks. From there it was possible to have a drink, and us the hills nearby to sit overlooking the lights of Dublin off in the distance or enjoy the vast emptiness of the sea and the mountains from another hill.

It is very very quiet up there too. A great spot. Make sure you keep it clean and put sand on your fires when your done!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Fluddles

Thanks a million Cisco, that sounds just perfect. I really appreciate the help and directions. Don't worry, we have nothing but respect for the land and we'll be sure to leave it the way we find it ;)

Fluddles wrote: »
    Thanks a million Cisco, that sounds just perfect. I really appreciate the help and directions. Don't worry, we have nothing but respect for the land and we'll be sure to leave it the way we find it ;)

Cool:D just remember be safe!;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭dutopia

I used to camp in the Wicklow mountains all the time. If you take the DART to bray there's a bus there that can take you up a few kilometres (probably the walking route Cisco suggested). You'll soon be in the wilderness! Make sure you don't trespass on any farmers lands as they can get pretty mad and in some areas it's illegal to make fires so check any signs in the areas you want to camp.

Advertisement