Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fine Wines refusing to cash All Cash ticket

Options
  • 18-05-2012 11:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭

From time to time I get a e1 or e2 All Cash in my local Fine Wines. This is the only place I buy it. I bought a winning ticket some time ago (a whooping e2) and forgot about this. Today, buying few beers I found it and decided to cash it. I was surprised when the guy told me he won't do it, as it's "not stamped by our shop, certainly hasn't been sold here". I asked for the manager and was told there was none. He showed me another ticket - and it was stamped.

Now I wonder, how legal is this? Surely it doesn't make much sense where I cash the ticket, as it's the National Lottery who pays them, right?

Needless to say, they just lost a loyal customer.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

that is total BS, they can be collected in any shop that sells them.
    the shop stamp thing might still apply to Rehab ones, but that's a moot point here.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It doesn't matter where you bought it as the National Lottery terminals will recognize it as a winning ticket anywhere.

However, shops are expected to provide float for the terminal tills themselves, and they are then direct debited by the National Lottery every week. If a shop was low on real cash, they may not want to pay out on lottery tickets but instead keep the money for their customers.

You could try complaining to the National Lottery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Complain to Lotto HQ

They should have paid out.
    It's a tiny prize, there was no issue of it wiping out their float

Shops have to apply to become a lotto agent
    Maybe Lotto HQ won't do anything here but they will record your complaint and if enough locals complain they will remove their terminal and tickets

• Registered Users Posts: 69,087 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Back of the ticket specifies where they can be claimed. Something as low as that can be claimed at absolutely any agent.

I would be wary about them over-stamping tickets as I imagine you'd have problems claiming a 'modified' ticket if you won a large amount on it that required going to a main Post Office (>25 quid if agent refuses) or HQ (>1000? Or similar).

Definitely contact the National Lottery about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    From time to time I get a e1 or e2 All Cash in my local Fine Wines. This is the only place I buy it. I bought a winning ticket some time ago (a whooping e2) and forgot about this. Today, buying few beers I found it and decided to cash it. I was surprised when the guy told me he won't do it, as it's "not stamped by our shop, certainly hasn't been sold here". I asked for the manager and was told there was none. He showed me another ticket - and it was stamped.

Now I wonder, how legal is this? Surely it doesn't make much sense where I cash the ticket, as it's the National Lottery who pays them, right?

Needless to say, they just lost a loyal customer.

1. Fine Wines do not sell All Cash or any National Loterry tickets. They are not a lotto agent, and only sell Rehab Lottery tickets. The National Lottery is not in any way related or connected to Rehab. Different rules apply.

2. They're well within their legal rights to only cash tickets with their own stamp on it. Reason being that Rehab Lotteries will not refund them for any tickets they pay out on that were not originally purchased in that shop. That's why each agent has their own stamp on the scratch cards.

• Advertisement
Advertisement