Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior cert 2012, Higher maths

Options
  • 18-05-2012 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Post here if your worried about it.
    Toughest topics in maths to be posted here for assistance.
    Help will be needed. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭paddyzk

I can help !

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

I don't understand the cumulative frequencies - ogives, medians and that on graphs

Em also any tips for Q5 P2 questions?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,248 ✭✭✭Slow Show

xfabgalx wrote: »

Em also any tips for Q5 P2 questions?

That's trig, isn't it? Trig for JC is actually pretty handy - there's only so many things they can ask. Know your sohcahtoa (Silly Old Harry/Caught A Herring/Trawling Off America), the unit circle (people seem to really dislike this for some reason), how to find the area of a triangle (both ways, using the 1/2abSinc formula and 1/2 base x perp.height) and the sine rule (it's given in the tables but it's pretty simple tbf)...I think that's pretty much it. If you can master all of that, it's a doddle.

As for cumulative frequency curves - the ogive is the curve itself, the median is when you go halfway up the y-axis, draw a line out to hit the curve, draw a line down from the point your line hits the curve and the point your line reaches on the x-axis is the median! I think...from my memories of stats anyway, haven't done LC Stats yet so I'm a bit hazy. Errr if you didn't know median you probably don't know about the interquartile range - it's where you do the same as median but go up a quarter of the way and three quarters up the graph (drawing two lines out this time) and subtract the two values. Sometimes they give you questions such as 'how many students got more than 80% in the exam' and, say, percentages are on the x-axis and no. of students are on the y-axis, you'd draw a line up from the x-axis until it hits the curve, and subtract that value from the total number of students. One last example - the question being 'how many students scored between 50 and 80%...draw lines up from both of these points on your x-axis until they hit the curve, subtract smaller value from bigger and there you go.

Hope I helped make that somehow clearer. If anyone has any more questions, I have a long week ahead of me with very little to do so I'd be glad to help. :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

Need help with paper 1 with wages. There was a (c) question where u found a person's net wage. The next year it increased and u need to find the gross wage. How do u do it???*

Leinsterr wrote: »
    Need help with paper 1 with wages. There was a (c) question where u found a person's net wage. The next year it increased and u need to find the gross wage. How do u do it???*

What was the actual question..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭xfabgalx

I have a revision book which shows a table thing to do it. You just fill in everything you know and then continue.

Begin all income tax problems that have two rates of tax with this chart:
    edit

https://docs.google.com/document/d/19y2HzakAQzXXK9Uox0WvV2NudqRIb360goeUxAffuNs/edit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 401 ✭✭Leinsterr

paddyzk wrote: »
    What was the actual question..

Standard income tax on 30000 is 20% and d rest is 42% tax credit 1493 gross wage is 31650. Find net. Net = 26450. Next year her net is 29379 what's her gross

• Registered Users Posts: 1 hellokitti

Really need to drop down, is it too late? Can you drop down on the day? :confused:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The SEC doesn't like people changing level at JC level - you will need a letter from your Principal explaining why it wasn't done before the day of the exam.

The papers are going out over this weekend and have been bundled according to lists the schools gave in a couple of weeks ago.
    The Superintendent may choose to not allow you drop.

At Leaving Cert. you can drop or go up on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭ImRebecca

I really need help on p2 question 3 and 4 part c

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 MariaW4794

Hey guys :) Any idea what theorems will come up?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭paddzdaman

MariaW4794 wrote: »
    Hey guys :) Any idea what theorems will come up?

Yeah i know them well enough but some people prediciting parallogram with the diagonal, that a line perpendicular to a chord bisects it and maybe another one forget (might be the prove equiangular triangles are split into proporation :D )

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭0000879k

paddzdaman wrote: »
    Yeah i know them well enough but some people prediciting parallogram with the diagonal, that a line perpendicular to a chord bisects it and maybe another one forget (might be the prove equiangular triangles are split into proporation :D )

Line perpendicular to a chord biescts it and the long equinagular triangles one.
    My teacher who has predicted both theorems correctly for the last 3 years, reckons those are the ones coming up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

Does anyone have little tips for Venn diagrams. I can manage the rest of the papers, but I always get stuck on Venn diagrams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

you add the tax credits to the new net tax and that gives all tax paid. you then - 20% tax as the cut off rate has not changed the same. the remainder is paid at 41%. therefore the remainder is 41% of pay so X/41*100=100% of new wage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭mary21

mary21 wrote: »
    you add the tax credits to the new net tax and that gives all tax paid. you then - 20% tax as the cut off rate has not changed the same. the remainder is paid at 41%. therefore the remainder is 41% of pay so X/41*100=100% of new wage
    Leinsterr wrote: »
    Standard income tax on 30000 is 20% and d rest is 42% tax credit 1493 gross wage is 31650. Find net. Net = 26450. Next year her net is 29379 what's her gross

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 76 ✭✭jd6920s

The theroems that came up in the last two years will not come up so thats 4 u dont have to know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭yoyojc

I'm really happy with how my Maths is going! The one thing I caanoot do is surds..

Like how do you turn it into etc. 3 root 6. Can someone explain it to me using example 36? Would really appreciate your time!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 jonhsmith720

36 doesnt work as it has a square root. To get a surd you divide the number by a square number. For example if you have root 48. You divide it by root 16. It is then root 16 multiplyed by root three. Root 16 is four so it becomes four root three

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Here's a handy way to do the wages:

Gross Pay: (amt)

Gross pay - cut off = extra pay

Cut off X .Lower Rate.= Tax for lower pay
    Extra pay X .Higher Rate.= Tax for higher pay
    _______________________ (Add higher + lower)
    =Total Tax

Tax Credits: insert here
    Total Tax Credits: Add up credits

Total Tax - Tax Credits = Tax Payable

Total Gross Pay - Tax Payable = Net pay

• Advertisement

One quick question:

If I do a sum say for 2010 Paper 1, Q. 1 (b) (I).
    If I miss a number in the Evaluate part but it doesn't affect the result, will I loose a mark?

How long a number if its not even should I write eg:

(2.97)To power of 3 =

Should I write 26.1981 or longer or shorter?

mary21 wrote: »

A Tax Credit is a discount off your tax bill so you minus tax credit from total tax (higher +lower) to get total tax payable.

Mr_Grumpy wrote: »
    One quick question:

If I do a sum say for 2010 Paper 1, Q. 1 (b) (I).
    If I miss a number in the Evaluate part but it doesn't affect the result, will I loose a mark?

How long a number if its not even should I write eg:

(2.97)To power of 3 =

Should I write 26.1981 or longer or shorter?

26.198073 is on the marking scheme but I'm sure if you have the right answer at the end you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 MarkusBrady

Do you need to bring in your own graph paper?

Do you need to bring in your own graph paper?

Nope they have everything like that.
    Only thing you need is pens,calculator and ruler etc

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

Really worried about this fo rmy daughter as she only got 41% in the mocks:eek:
    SHe has been getting grinds for the past 6 weeks so hopefully she will pass it ok

nickys wrote: »
    Really worried about this fo rmy daughter as she only got 41% in the mocks:eek:
    SHe has been getting grinds for the past 6 weeks so hopefully she will pass it ok

She'll be grand,don't worry.She'll do better than she thinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭nickys

paddyzk wrote: »
    She'll be grand,don't worry.She'll do better than she thinks.

God I hope so she will be devastated if she failed it ..she is really hoping to scrape an honour but I dont know if it is realistic to jump from 41% to 55%

nickys wrote: »
    God I hope so she will be devastated if she failed it ..she is really hoping to scrape an honour but I dont know if it is realistic to jump from 41% to 55%

A jump of 14% is about 42 more marks,which can easily be picked up along as the way if she's been working away at the grinds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 3dollys

My girl jumped from 33 at Christmas to 53 in the Mocks. She got a few weeks of grinds, but we felt that I was a better help to her as I know how to explain things to her in a way she understands. I spent a lot of time with her doing exam papers, thats all we did, over and over again. I have been doing the same with her for tomorrow and we are hoping it will pay off. But it is possible to jump up. You get a lot of marks for attempts etc, and this really helped her realise that even if she did half the question, it was much better than throwing in the towel at the start.

Advertisement