Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your Disorder ?

• 18-05-2012 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭

I have just watched a programme on Discovery about a woman who is completely able bodied however she lives her life as a Paraplegic.
    Apparantly she has The condidtion which is known as Body Integrity Identity Disorder.

It seems to me that these days physcoligists seem to have a need to put a new name on every weird thing that people seem to come up with, this seems like utter bull**** to me. For example , my boyfriend just said " If i wake up tomorrow and suddenly feel the need to break every cup in the house does that mean I have a Disorder ? "Crockery Hatred syndrome" or the like.

It seems to make a complete mockery of people with real Disorders and Disabilities.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I have Obsessive Boardsie Disorder, Compulsive Boob Watching Disorder and Amazing Money Spending Disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I'm paraplegic, but live my life as a fully able bodied person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Selective Mutism. I talk to people I like and I ignore everyone else

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,201 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

i'm a crazy bastard

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

I compulsively diagnose myself with ridiculous disorders I make up. Functioning fine in society until the days I cannot come up with anything and fall into a neurological abyss.

sometimes I am afraid to type the letter .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I get this wierd feeling every night of getting more and more tired, my eyes get heavy and then I just black out, it's not until many hours later when it's bright in the morning that I am able to open my eyes again, I remember nothing while this happens, I'm going to call it heavy eye syndrome. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

Pschiatritis:

An irritation caused by psychiatrists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I get this wierd feeling every night of getting more and more tired, my eyes get heavy and then I just black out, it's not until many hours later when it's bright in the morning that I am able to open my eyes again, I remember nothing while this happens, I'm going to call it heavy eye syndrome. :(

Sorry to tell you this, but it's chronic. It can affect you up to eight hours a day. And it's incurable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

Always taking people at face value and always being proven otherwise

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stained Class

My wife says I have Selective Deafness when she speaks to me sometimes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

My wife says I have Selective Deafness when she speaks to me sometimes.

Don't listen to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭gravityisalie

If I drink anything with alcohol I tend to say stupid things and have a tendancy to wobble when I walk :-( tis terrible Joe

I have Borderline Personality Disorder, but me and my doctor are both dubious that the condition really exists. It's a very severe mental issue regarding relationships but it's quite vague. I'm just glad to have a label because without it, I wouldn't be getting the help that I am now entitled to. Suffered from depression so severe during my teens I am surprised I am still here.

I also have ME, which wasn't diagnosed for 13 years, because I was told my fatigue was due to my depressive disorder.

I also have a rare skin condition called Epidermolysis Bullosa Simplex. It's very mild in my case.

I sometimes say I am Dee (BPD ME EBS) because I never got a degree so don't have letters to add after my name :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

tempura wrote: »

It seems to me that these days physcoligists seem to have a need to put a new name on every weird thing that people seem to come up with,..........

Yes, we long for the old days, and the simplicity of the language. 'Yer one with the knickers' or 'Yer man with the twitch' was good enough to describe patients for many centuries - why change now?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

If I drink anything with alcohol I tend to say stupid things and have a tendancy to wobble when I walk :-( tis terrible Joe
    Your username is very apt for your disorder :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I think there is over labeling to be fair. It doesn't help that psychology tends to have fashions and trends.
    I'm not against psychology but it's seen as too untouchable sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

There was a good Horizon doc about how many mental disorders are misconstrued or misdiagnosed, and how people who don't actually lay within any of the diagnostic criterion are sometimes mistaken for those that do.

A very fine line still exists between being mentally unstable and just acting out on impulse etc., and it's better to treat each case on its merits rather than its possible future manifestations or preconceptions of that.

Mental health is a very personal thing and diagnostic criteria should really only be employed by those who are qualified to apply it in a way that helps the persons involved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

At the extreme end of health anxiety.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭tempura

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭FreddysFace

i wish i was watching the wicker man

its time less come this evening hour

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Obsessive compulsive Fapper (at Grainne Seoige)

21/25

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Mance Rayder

This thread reminds me of how lots of skanger kids I grew up with and went to school with in coolock were diagnosed with ADHD , even though I knew for a fact that they were just little sh!ts.

This thread reminds me of how lots of skanger kids I grew up with and went to school with in coolock were diagnosed with ADHD , even though I knew for a fact that they were just little sh!ts.

sorry darling, you lost me at coolock

sorry darling, you lost me at coolock

You had me at darling:o.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I disordered a pint ages ago ...

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

There's a book.

It's called the DSM

The Diagnostic Statistic Manual.

It's the psychiatric bible.

And if you (in fact anybody) reads it: You'll find at least 12 mental illnesses you're suffering from.

Point is: If you can generally get on with life = you're ok.

If you're looking for some greater meaning = become religious.

Doesn't matter which religion, all imaginary friends are the same.

You had me at darling:o.

*blushes*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I've an OCD to over think everything ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

There's a book.

It's called the DSM

And if you (in fact anybody) reads it: You'll find at least 12 mental illnesses you're suffering from.

Is that you, Locky Locky?

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

*blushes*

ffs you thanked the post already....

Flirting and getting horny in AH is dangerous,dangerous I tell ye

uch wrote: »
    Is that you, Locky Locky?

Yes it is I Locky Locky! Your friend.

Now kill Enda!

Do it! Do it now!

cesc77 wrote: »
    ffs you thanked the post already....

Flirting and getting horny in AH is dangerous,dangerous I tell ye

*orders morning after pill and hates self*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

There's a book.

It's called the DSM

they really shouldnt tell people what their 'disorders' are, they should just keep it in their notes and let the patients be if they are coping ok. labels sicken me for that reason. their nice, but in the wrong hands and time they are very dangerous. statistics are great for if you want to figure out how much in claims you are likely to pay out this year in health insurance. stats are the new god. there is only one stat which matters. 50/50 you will or you wont :mad:

you are statistically unlikely to get run over by a bus tomorrow, but tell that to the guy on life support machine who got hit by a bus ;)

I feel so used.:mad:

I feel so used.:mad:

You were crap too

• Advertisement

You were crap too
    Yeah well I never was much of an actor.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

There's a book.

It's called the DSM

You sure have an annoying way of getting your point across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Aphex

Lucky you! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fatal_familial_insomnia :eek:

You sure have an annoying way of getting your point across.

truth hurts ;)

Aphex wrote: »

jesus! :eek: :(

• Advertisement

IM0 wrote: »
    they really shouldnt tell people what their 'disorders' are, they should just keep it in their notes and let the patients be if they are coping ok.;)

Unfortunately it's a symbiotic relationship.

The patient goes to the doctor looking for a diagnosis. They want to know what's wrong with them. They demand it.

Conversely, the doctor (or shrink) is defined by being a master of diagnosis. They feel the need to appear to know everything, even if they don't. They come from a position of authority, even if they're wrong.

And people who believe they're an authority hate even the hint of being wrong. If you don't believe me, try arguing with a Gard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭cesc77

advice taken,I see.

Dont know what the fcuk you are....man,woman,other

hate internets:mad:

cesc77 wrote: »
    advice taken,I see.

Dont know what the fcuk you are....man,woman,other

hate internets:mad:

:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I have add and mild dyslexia.
    Sensory processing disorder, but that's part of the add.
    Also regular various anxiety disorders, bouts of depression, insomnia and hypersomnia.
    And I have pmdd, and chronic pid, but I think that's classed as a disease.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I have a disorderly disorder (I'm a messy git)

Dyspraxia and anxiety. But you wouldn't suspect either if you ever met me - I'm quite good at hiding it when need be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

I am ill conditioned, non-linear, and unstable above 4kHz.

Dyspraxia and anxiety. But you wouldn't suspect either if you ever met me - I'm quite good at hiding it when need be.

whats dyspraxia?

This is dyspraxia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

whats dyspraxia?

Similar symptoms of dyslexia, but instead of difficulty with reading etc it's difficulty with fine/gross motor skills (my son has it)

• Advertisement
Advertisement