Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Whats your Disorder ?

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭FreddysFace

This is dyspraxia.

Ok, you have it bad, or is it manageable?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,390 ✭✭✭IM0

FoxT wrote: »
    I am ill conditioned, non-linear, and unstable above 4kHz.

are you playing the what am I game show going for gold I think it was called.. BBC in the 90's

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

MS,lichenoid planar pemhigoitus.

Similar symptoms of dyslexia, but instead of difficulty with reading etc it's difficulty with fine/gross motor skills (my son has it)

Hope your boy kicking ass flutterflye

Similar symptoms of dyslexia, but instead of difficulty with reading etc it's difficulty with fine/gross motor skills (my son has it)

There can be some aspect of dyslexia though - sometimes when I'm reading, while the words make perfect sense, when I read them aloud, they might get mixed up or I might get confused in what they mean. Another aspect of it, I've noticed, is getting genders mixed up. Like I might say "he talked to her" rather than "she talked to him", without realizing.

Ok, you have it bad, or is it manageable?

Well, I can't really comment on whether I have it bad or not, because I've nothing to compare it against. It just means some things can be rather difficult for me - like juggling would be a near-impossible task for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Yes it is I Locky Locky! Your friend.

Now kill Enda!

Do it! Do it now!

OK TN, just killed him with a Hoover pipe, but I don't know why you wanted me to kill my cat!

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

uch wrote: »
    OK TN, just killed him with a Hoover pipe, but I don't know why you wanted me to kill my cat!

It was trying to steal your breath while you sleeping. Duhhh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I have a type of Drapetomania, the name given to a mental illness, that caused black slaves to flee captivity. I have the version which causes me to want to escape wage slavery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

There can be some aspect of dyslexia though - sometimes when I'm reading, while the words make perfect sense, when I read them aloud, they might get mixed up or I might get confused in what they mean. Another aspect of it, I've noticed, is getting genders mixed up. Like I might say "he talked to her" rather than "she talked to him", without realizing.

Yeah, same with me and my add - they say I have mild dyslexia, but I think it's just part of the add.
    I mix up things like that often too.
    And I wish my brain had a spell check!
    The worst thing for me though is finding words - I can never think of basic words - they're at the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember them, and then there's my useless short term memory! Ah, the list goes on!!

My son though has the opposite, he apparently has hyperlexia, which is where he has an amazing reading ability - he taught himself to read and write aged 3, and now at 8, he's in the top spelling percentile in the country.
    He has major problems in other areas though.

• Advertisement

It can get really awkward sometimes - like exams were usually quite difficult for me, because I could never hold a pen properly, so I would get extraordinarily bad cramps/aches when I was writing a lot. Memory is also a major problem I find too.

It was trying to steal your breath while you sleeping. Duhhh.

But I have an Inhaler, so I get free breath

21/25

Yeah, same with me and my add - they say I have mild dyslexia, but I think it's just part of the add.
    I mix up things like that often too.
    And I wish my brain had a spell check!
    The worst thing for me though is finding words - I can never think of basic words - they're at the tip of my tongue, but I can't remember them, and then there's my useless short term memory! Ah, the list goes on!!

My son though has the opposite, he apparently has hyperlexia, which is where he has an amazing reading ability - he taught himself to read and write aged 3, and now at 8, he's in the top spelling percentile in the country.
    He has major problems in other areas though.

he sounds smart

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I have every frightening disease and condition you could think of except hypochondria.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Trash Ninja

uch wrote: »
    But I have an Inhaler, so I get free breath

Your cat had seeded your inhaler with mini cats. It's a conspiracy. It goes purr deep!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Dyspraxia shouldn't be looked as a disorder the same way as dyslexia shouldn't...

There just a different learning style which require. Different style of teaching I've add and dyslexia and I'd never look at them as a disorder...

Ok so I get longer exam times and more relaxed environments.....

I've add and even tho its classed as a disorder is never agree with it. Again it's a behavioural issue I've learned to cope with a grow with but I get very offended when people look at it that way as it makes me look like I'm speacil.....

• Advertisement

The thing is that dyspraxia doesn't just affect things like learning or reading, there are a lot of motor skills that I also find difficult, so it's not necessarily a case of being taught. But I never had any extra time during exams or anything, because while it can cause some problems, I don't let it affect my life.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Tempura : If there is a new 'condition' there is money somewhere in the equation .
    New ideas with new terms arrive every week .Trying them out for response .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,417 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

I was born introverted. Its caused me nothing but social trouble.

Your cat had seeded your inhaler with mini cats. It's a conspiracy. It goes purr deep!

I think you want to plant a seed in me, dont try and camoflage it!

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Obsessive compulsive. Its amazing been sane and fully aware and still have do stupid sh1t in case your loved ones die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I say I have mild OCD and Social Anxiety Disorder. Never got it diagnosed though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,698 ✭✭✭✭Princess Peach

Depression, anxiety, handful of differently manifesting eating disorders.

Turned out pretty grand as a person though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Squashie

Paranoid schizophrenic hypochondriasis / panic disorder, somnipathy, pavor nocturnus, manic depression aggravated by seasonal affective disorder, narcississtic personality disorder and mild social anxiety

I'm really ****ed up, but really good at pretending to be normal. Escitalopram helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Squashie wrote: »
    Paranoid schizophrenic hypochondriasis / panic disorder, somnipathy, pavor nocturnus, manic depression aggravated by seasonal affective disorder, narcississtic personality disorder and mild social anxiety

I'm really ****ed up, but really good at pretending to be normal

same - ****ing mask keeps slipping when I get really drunk, blame the drink, go home, hide under bed with laptop and let the crazy out by posting on boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭swoody

Insomnia, i can go 2/3 days without sleep.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,131 ✭✭✭Azure_sky

Compulsive trolling disorder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Snowie wrote: »
    Dyspraxia shouldn't be looked as a disorder the same way as dyslexia shouldn't...

There just a different learning style which require. Different style of teaching I've add and dyslexia and I'd never look at them as a disorder...

Ok so I get longer exam times and more relaxed environments.....

I've add and even tho its classed as a disorder is never agree with it. Again it's a behavioural issue I've learned to cope with a grow with but I get very offended when people look at it that way as it makes me look like I'm speacil.....

Wtf are you on about??
    They are all learning disorders.
    Why shouldn't they be looked at as disorders?
    I have great trouble in my everyday life due to my add - it affects every aspect of my life - it is a disorder!
    What else would it be like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭RaRaRasputin

I agree, it seems that you are no longer anywhere near "cool" if you are not suffering from any sort of mental condition. There are people who are seriously suffering from conditions such as depression, but let's face it: they are the ones you won't hear talking about it.
    My favourite ones are thosw with depression, add, adhd, borderline etc, who will do anything to get someone's attention. I seriously can't take anyone seriously who cuts their arms and then displays this embarrassment to the outside world to look important.

I have to thank the OP for this thread, it's actually greatly amusing to read the posts. My favourite one is the PMS = disease so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

This thread reminds me of Stephen Fry's documentary about Bipolar disorder/manic depression. In it, he says that most British psychiatrists believe the USA is setting a dangerous precedent by diagnosing young children with mental disorders. An American doctor refuted this by saying something along the lines of, "If it means we can catch these problems sooner, the kids will grow up to have normal lives instead of struggling with an illness they don't understand, or even realise they have."

I find it hard to judge, myself. I can see both sides of the argument. However, I don't believe young people should be medicated. Sure, if you want to diagnose them that's ok. Just send them to therapy and teach them tools like CBT so they can deal with things themselves. Pumping growing bodies full of chemicals is dangerous business, and I can see from my own family experience what medication from the age of 5 does to a growing mind. I wouldn't wish it on anyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

Nodin wrote: »
    Yes, we long for the old days, and the simplicity of the language. 'Yer one with the knickers' or 'Yer man with the twitch' was good enough to describe patients for many centuries - why change now?

Having 'nerves' was a brilliant catch all term in this country from the mid 50s even up to today with some people!

Amazing the way people get so defensive about mental disorders when people challenge them, particularly the ones that are controversial even within the medical community. When you look at the symptoms for something like ADHD, it could apply to about 80% of children in varying degrees.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭trollin trollin trollin

Undiagnosed OCD for god's sake I can't stop googling random stuff online.Hours and hours of googling stuff at the slightest trigger just to p*** away all the time i should be spending on my study.It's really not fair i really really want to well in my course and i'm well able to do it,but i just feel so trapped by this.I'm going to fail my fyp over this :(

*Joke to lighten the mood-I'm 99% sure i have OCD but i just need to check one last time*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭Umekichi

I have depression, anxiety issues and Selective eating Disorder.

My Selective Eating Disorder is a PITA, it means for whatever reason in my head I gag at the sight, smell of taste of vegetables. So if I go to a restauraunt I am limited in my choices, it's a source of embarrassment when I am invited to a friend's house to eat and it's annoying when I have ignorant people tell me I am just fussy, was spoiled as a kid(I wasn't, My parents would tell me you either eat your dinner or starve... so I starved, they wouldn't leave me up from the table until I ate all my veg... I often stayed sitting at the table trying not to gag at veggies or I tried stuffing veg into paper towels and binning it:( )
    Oddly enough I can eat some vegetables depending on how they are cooked,
    e.g Chips(both regular and sweet potato), roasted(potatoes and parsnips), potato waffles :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Im a c*nt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Premature ejacu...oh...

Advertisement