Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Prioritising your Irish study...

• 18-05-2012 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

I need at least a C3 in Higher Level Irish. I did pretty well in the oral, but with 3 weeks to go i want to make sure i use my time wisely.

I'm just starting An Triail now (i was told to focus on society & characters) and i have 4 out of 5 of the prose left to do.

Just wondering if you all have any tips on what you're focusing on most?

Thanks!!!

Maria

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

I know this probably isn't very helpful... but everything! Pick 5 prose pieces (we're doing... Hurlamaboc, Seal i Neipeal, Dis, Gnathrud, and An Lasair Choille), and a handful of poems (we're doing Geibheann, Colscaradh, Mo Ghra-Sa, An Spailpin Fanach, and An tEarrach Thiar), and study the hell out of them! There's not a lot to learn in the Prose because they're all pretty short, and the poems, mostly, are pretty easy. Don't forget An Triail, of course; it's pretty simple, learn a few nice sentences about society, tolerance, feminism, etc and pad out your essay with those in the exam. I don't know if you're doing Caca Milis but I honestly don't know what it's doing on the course so perhaps somebody else could help you there. :) Other than that, read as much Irish as you can (online newspapers etc), listen to RnaG whenever you can to pick up some new words, and practice practice practice grammar. Irish grammar is fiendish... a good bit harder than French imo. I would advise you to take a day or two and learn off the Irish grammar system to the best of your ability - learn what the different cases do, and learn all the tenses (there's not too many). Don't worry about your seimhiú's and urú's too much, if you can nail them in the exam then that's great, but they should be your last priority, tenses, cases, and vocabulary all come first. Hope that helps! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

I know this probably isn't very helpful... but everything! Pick 5 prose pieces (we're doing... Hurlamaboc, Seal i Neipeal, Dis, Gnathrud, and An Lasair Choille), and a handful of poems (we're doing Geibheann, Colscaradh, Mo Ghra-Sa, An Spailpin Fanach, and An tEarrach Thiar), and study the hell out of them! There's not a lot to learn in the Prose because they're all pretty short, and the poems, mostly, are pretty easy. Don't forget An Triail, of course; it's pretty simple, learn a few nice sentences about society, tolerance, feminism, etc and pad out your essay with those in the exam. I don't know if you're doing Caca Milis but I honestly don't know what it's doing on the course so perhaps somebody else could help you there. :) Other than that, read as much Irish as you can (online newspapers etc), listen to RnaG whenever you can to pick up some new words, and practice practice practice grammar. Irish grammar is fiendish... a good bit harder than French imo. I would advise you to take a day or two and learn off the Irish grammar system to the best of your ability - learn what the different cases do, and learn all the tenses (there's not too many). Don't worry about your seimhiú's and urú's too much, if you can nail them in the exam then that's great, but they should be your last priority, tenses, cases, and vocabulary all come first. Hope that helps! :)

Are you not doing Oisin i dTir na nOg?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

I thought that too...DD, you dont have to do Gnathrud and Seal i Neipeal, but you do need to do Oisin i dtir na nOg!

Advertisement