Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dismissed after 16 weeks of service without notice

Options
  • 18-05-2012 11:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hi Everyone on this forum,

I had started an initial 6 weeks contract on 7 November last year. On the day that the contract was supposed to expire, we were asked to stay on for a week more, when, I received an e-mail, from the recruitment agency who placed me, congratulating me on securing a further 10month contract, starting 3 January, with a slightly higher rate of pay. I was delighted, to say the least. I applied for my entitled annual leave, when the roster came around and this was approved for 1 week from 1 March to 7 March, returning on the 8th. A few days before I left work for my holidays, my supervisor congratulated me on the high standard of work i was giving and that there were very few errors on my work. On the day of my return, at 17h39 I received a text message advising me not to return to work the following day, but to contact my agent instead. Totally shocked, and after spending quite a bit of my savings, thinking i had a job to return to, I contacted my agent as advised by text. The agency told me that the client had decided to terminate my contract, possibly because they needed someone with more experience. Now, I have over a year's collections experience, compared to two of the people who started with me in that job, who had no prior experience working at all. This was their first jobs and one of them had not even the leaving certificate.
    Anyway, I read somewhere that I was entitled to a proper reason and notice after 13 weeks of service and on a fixed term contract. I was not offered another position by the agent, who assured me that everything was done in a legal way. My question is if anyone on this forum knows about how i can proceed next and whether i am right in feeling that i was unfairly treated by not receiving notice or even pay in lieu of notice?
    Thank you
    Gingles

Comments

Advertisement