Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the conditions for receiving an achievement certificate?

• 19-05-2012 12:15am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭

Apparently moderators took my board as some joke. I honestly would like to know the conditions. What conditions must be met to achieve the Leaving Cert certificate for high achievement in individual subjects?
    Is it 100% in the exam? Yes/No?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

100 percent blind folded, while balancing a pineapple on your head.

'Tis a strange educational system we have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭BeanbagBallbag

I believe you get one massive certificate if you stop posting your drivel on boards for a number of days equal to the number of posts you've made on boards, however I am not 100% sure. I hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭Cruel Sun

I believe you get one massive certificate if you stop posting your drivel on boards for a number of days equal to the number of posts you've made on boards, however I am not 100% sure. I hope this helps.

Now that's just silly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Top paper in the country. My aunt got one for Irish and had no idea how, that was a while ago and she's fairly bright alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

Top paper in the country. My aunt got one for Irish and had no idea how, that was a while ago and she's fairly bright alright.

So if say 5 people got 100% would they all get a cert? :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭seriouslysweet

Not sure to be honest. She seems to think she was the only one that year. I'd say they just pick the best of the 100%s so, easy enough in Irish or English, no idea how it would work in maths though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

At the end of correcting, examiners are asked if they had any 100% scripts and they get sent to the Chief Examiner who I think is the one to decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

All I know is 3 people got one for applied maths last year, according to my teacher (he is part of the IAMTA after all!) So I think a few people get it every year, but only in certain subjects as far as I'm aware :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

If you get 100% in a paper they're all sent to the chief examiner. He then decides who had the 'better answered' paper, and whoever gets that gets the award. Like say if it was a science subject, ye may have gotten the marks by putting down the bare minimum, but if someone put extra points in and went into more detail then they would have the better answered paper. (that's what my chemistry teacher told me, and she's involved with that craic)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

Is it hurting your sensitive emotions?

• Advertisement

Siobhnk wrote: »
    If you get 100% in a paper they're all sent to the chief examiner. He then decides who had the 'better answered' paper, and whoever gets that gets the award. Like say if it was a science subject, ye may have gotten the marks by putting down the bare minimum, but if someone put extra points in and went into more detail then they would have the better answered paper. (that's what my chemistry teacher told me, and she's involved with that craic)

So basically it is definitely worth expanding answers. Thank you! :)

reznov wrote: »
    So basically it is definitely worth expanding answers. Thank you! :)

If you have the time!!! Don't go expanding answers and then leave yourself with very little time to finish the paper!

Speaking of expanding answers. Anyone else find that there's NO space for answering biology questions in sections A and B? My answers always have to go down the side of the page.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

finality wrote: »
    Speaking of expanding answers. Anyone else find that there's NO space for answering biology questions in sections A and B? My answers always have to go down the side of the page.

Yup but they only really look for one word answers in those sections according to the marking scheme. It's probably better to be safe than sorry though

YES! I barely have enough space to write what I feel is the minimum, let alone expand :/

Yup but they only really look for one word answers in those sections according to the marking scheme. It's probably better to be safe than sorry though

Well yeah the ones like "Where is the site of glycolysis" are fine, but then for the ones like "Give an account of the second stage of respiration" they give about 4 lines and there's so much you can write about that, but I'm never sure how much of it will be on the marking scheme.

Definitely. They should simply allow us to answer on a separate sheet like in Chem. always run out of room, even in Business.

It's a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭David1994

I find it the most for describing how you prepared an experiment..They give you so little space :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,813 ✭✭✭Togepi

Do they have these for every single subject, or just a few? Never heard of them until now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

How do they decide on the 'better answered papers' for subjects like maths/applied maths/physics where a lot of the stuff is purely mathematical and can't be expanded on, it's either right or wrong?

Togepi wrote: »
    Do they have these for every single subject, or just a few? Never heard of them until now!

Only mention I've heard of them is the guy in my school who did his German paper practically perfect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Would the language ones not just go to natives?

How do they decide on the 'better answered papers' for subjects like maths/applied maths/physics where a lot of the stuff is purely mathematical and can't be expanded on, it's either right or wrong?

Maybe if someone answered extra questions etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Maybe if someone answered extra questions etc.

They won't have trouble with maths this year.

#Projectmathssucks lawds!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Certificates are given for maths and applied maths ONLY.

Mate of mine got it for both. You have to get 100% simple as. There was 4 people last year including himself who got them for applied maths. He got some free stuff like books or something

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Would the language ones not just go to natives?

They're disqualified as far as I know. This lad was Irish. Not sure exactly what he won but his pictures up on the wall somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

They're disqualified as far as I know. This lad was Irish. Not sure exactly what he won but his pictures up on the wall somewhere.

You are lying, awards are given for maths and applied maths only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭cutty9

do u get an award for rubbing your mickey on an exam paper?

sorry, i always wanted to say that on here!:pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement

You are lying, awards are given for maths and applied maths only

"Niall Bergin of the 2009 Leaving Cert class was awarded joint 1st place in Ireland, with one other student, for his 99.25% mark in this year's German exam. The award was presented during the German Teachers of Ireland Annual Conference in Trinity College on Saturday 14th November. Congratulations to Niall and his teacher Ms. Dillon."

Not sure what it is exactly but there ya go

Advertisement