Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are the conditions for receiving an achievement certificate?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭finality

You are lying, awards are given for maths and applied maths only

Why would someone lie about that?

Here's someone getting one for economics:
    http://www.villiers-school.com/Achievement.html

and there's a list of people getting them in a few subjects here
    http://www.castleknockcc.ie/academic_excellence.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Sorry tweeps I must be mistaken then. I was pretty sure..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

They're disqualified as far as I know. This lad was Irish. Not sure exactly what he won but his pictures up on the wall somewhere.

You are lying, awards are given for maths and applied maths only

I doubt he'd lie about that.

I've heard of ones for chemistry and physics so it can't be just for maths and app maths.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭FaoiSin

According to my teacher who's an examiner a lot of native speakers don't even get A1s because of the questions that must be answered in English. She says you can tell which papers were by native speakers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are also awards in the practical subjects like engineering and the old Tech. Drawing which are/were sponsored by trade unions and teacher associations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 921 ✭✭✭reznov

According to my teacher who's an examiner a lot of native speakers don't even get A1s because of the questions that must be answered in English. She says you can tell which papers were by native speakers.

I sat the oral for my native tongue and the questions asked were extremely awkward. They may just make it harder if you're a native speaker in a certain language. The written paper should be grand tho :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Is your native tongue French then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,479 ✭✭✭ChemHickey

Patchy~ wrote: »
    Is your native tongue French then?

I was going to guess Russian! :L

ChemHickey wrote: »
    I was going to guess Russian! :L

I'm not Russian. My username = Call of Duty character who IS Russian.

I'm Japanese. :pac:

reznov wrote: »
    I'm not Russian. My username = Call of Duty character who IS Russian.

That explains everything

• Advertisement

That explains everything

But it doesn't explain why you're not studying. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

You didnt list that in your subjects in the OT thread. Deceptive!

Thats pretty interesting. :pac:

Patchy~ wrote: »
    You didnt list that in your subjects in the OT thread. Deceptive!

Thats pretty interesting. :pac:

He wanted a challenge obviously :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Both Japanese and Russian are marked expecting candidates to have studied them ab initio for Leaving cert. A native speaker should fly through them.
    They are not as difficult as French, German etc. which expect at least five years' study, or Polish and the like which are aimed at native speakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

reznov wrote: »

Yeah, Spurious is right. And the Japanese exam is structured in such a way that there's only about 4 minutes general conversation anyway.

I've spoken to native Japanese people who have taken the exam and still been asked questions like "Do you have a dog?".

You know what Reznov, up until now, I believed everything you claimed to be. But now, now you're dead to me.

Can't believe you've lied to us :rolleyes:

Everything I believed in is now shattered. Reznov... How... How could you! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Monsieur Folie

ChemHickey wrote: »
    They won't have trouble with maths this year.

#Projectmathssucks lawds!

Ugh, couldn't agree more. It's a load of ****e. Did a sample question today where instead of doing actual maths, you had to describe what measurements you would take and what procedure you would follow, were you to answer the question. WHY?! :mad:

Yeah, Spurious is right. And the Japanese exam is structured in such a way that there's only about 4 minutes general conversation anyway.

I've spoken to native Japanese people who have taken the exam and still been asked questions like "Do you have a dog?".

You know what Reznov, up until now, I believed everything you claimed to be. But now, now you're dead to me.

Can't believe you've lied to us :rolleyes:

Oh no. :(

I'm Uraguaian.

Advertisement