Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upcoming Decades Festival

• 19-05-2012 1:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭

Post your favourite classics, discovered someone here is an avid fan of the below :P

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

see you? *shakes fist* :mad:

although with the upcoming decades festival, this thread might be somewhat useful for reminding us of some classics they could do with reviving over the weekend? :o

i know, that was a hell of a stretch to make it limerick related somehow, lol, thread title may be changed at mods discretion though Dave... :p

*pulls on miami vice jacket and beetle crushers*... :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I'll give this a few more hours. Just in case it goes somewhere interesting. :cool:

/abuse of mod powahs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

My Sharona please!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,762 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

As requested :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

For those interested, this is from the press release:
    DECADES FESTIVAL 2012
    JUNE BANK HOLDAY WEEKEND
    June 1st - June 4th

Limericks Market Quarter is hosting another great event! Take a trip back in time this June bank holiday weekend at the Market Quarter Decades festival! The festival will run from Friday 1st of June throughout the bank holiday weekend. This promises to be an action packed festival of music and fun celebrating the style and sounds of various decades from the 40’s right up to the 00’s. Fancy dress,fun,food and great live entertainment are all on the cards for this event. With each venue pulling out all the stops to make it a great bank holiday! Venues taking part in the event will be Nancy Blakes, The Bailey, Phil Flannerys, Mollys Late Bar, O'Connells Bar, The Office Bar,Smyths Bar,Icon Nightclub and Angel Lane. Decades festival invites you to immerse yourself in the festival with prizes for best fancy dress in each venue taking part. So come on down and sample the themed food and drinks and enjoy the atmosphere! The biggest and best party this June Bankholiday is in the Market Quarter don't miss out!

Venues:

The Bailey
    The Office Bar
    Icon Nightclub
    Charlie Chaplins
    Angle Lane
    Phil Flannerys
    Nancy Blakes
    Mollys Late Bar
    O'Connells
    Smyths Bar

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/themarketquarter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Planning to be a good night ...

All we need is lots of dodgy hair cuts shoulder pads!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Any info what bands etc are playing?What pubs are doing theme wise etc?

Its kinda lacking in info and people are making plans for the June Weekend

Is there family/kids stuff on

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Hey Big Pink,

Just getting things organised last week so should have lot more info the start of the week....

All night gigs so don't think theres anything for the kids or family on this one...

Were in O'Connells having Boogie Wonderland on the saturday night and 80's 90's 00's Back to School Party on the sunday...

All places will be themed and will be fancy dress so the more that support the better it will be...

will try post up more info as soon as can.

Ken

Hmm.. should the photographer do fancy dress or not... Hmm... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Hope it doesn't end up being Scobe Central like the Mardi Brawl.

• Advertisement

Any update in info/details for this?

Only info on Facebook has O connells and icon

Any live bands etc playing or just djs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭ZombieBride

My Sharona please!

:mad: hated that song.

Anyone going to this or any buzz building??

Ive asked lots of people about it and they didnt know it was on

They only put a line up on Facebook on Friday

Im thinking of going to Cats Laughs now instead now i reckon

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Gallee

bigpink wrote: »
    Anyone going to this or any buzz building??

Ive asked lots of people about it and they didnt know it was on

They only put a line up on Facebook on Friday

Im thinking of going to Cats Laughs now instead now i reckon

Good decision I think. Google market quarter and the Website comes up www.themarketquarter.ie with Mardi Gras 2011 and what a fiasco that was. There is no mention of this "Festival", the least they could do is update the website. I was in a few of the places listed on the facebook page last weekend. Chaplins bar man didn't know anything about it and we didn't stay long there anyway as the crowd is way rough. A sister was talking to one of the managers in Angel Lane - he said they weren't doing anything and he was saying that their name isn't even spelled correctly on the facebook page. 5 places are doing a DJ with no bands and 2 are doing food as far as I can see. Bit of a stretch calling this a Festival.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Is the decades festival the same style as the Mardi Gras? i.e drinking on the street with plastic cups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Saw a poster for it and thought gee Charlies are really pulling out all the stops for it...NOT :D

Is the decades festival the same style as the Mardi Gras? i.e drinking on the street with plastic cups.
    No

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Snipe wrote: »
    No

Damn! :rolleyes:

Nothing really special about it so! You can hear 80s, 90s and 00s music in most pubs/clubs at the weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 92 ✭✭James McNulty

I think the organisers of the Kilkenny Comedy Fest, Galway Races, Cork Jazz etc etc, can rest easy. The Decades festival was a joke. I saw no more than 10 people in costume and they could have been a hen party. Callling this a "festival" was pulling the urine. Tacky sh1te.
    I can't believe that publicans in the Market area were promoting this and expecting people to swallow that they were putting on a "festival".

I enjoyed the Sunday night. I found it was brilliant craic!

And you can't blame them for trying. They are trying to get people into the area and spending again, so its something to build on for next year. Not to mention - The weather and the date was ****e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Sully777

I'am a regular in Nancys but to be fair that whole area has become very tacky and cheap. Big flashy adds in the post with absolutely nothing new being offered to the punter is a bit of an insult. The Facebook page was full with loads of "whoop whoop" and "pubs will be pulling out all the stops" FFS, as previous poster said did you see Chaplins line up? The website wasn't even updated. We ended up on one of the nights staying in Mickeys. Come to think of it wouldn't a weekend like that be far better in the Thomas St with Burkes and Mickeys and others there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭eclectichoney

They need an indie / hipster festival instead :) Something a bit more unique... could do loads of stuff like an 'open mic' dj slot - a few indie/electro bands like Jape etc. in Bourkes. They played there for free a while back, I'm sure they'd do it again. A mix of djs and bands, would be good and something different.

Advertisement