Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hacked email!

• 19-05-2012 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi guys,

Recently my hotmail account was hacked (very easy to do) and emails were forwarded on to the hackers account. I know who this person is but would like to prove it, is there any way-ip addresses etc???

Thanks!

More details: Have UPC broadband, Have AVG protection with firewall. However email account was accessed by choosing 'forgot password' then guessing the security question correctly! The person did it from their home,

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if the mails were forwarded, how do you know where they were forwarded to?

was it a case of "they sent the contents of my inbox to another account" in which case you have the sent items with the address on them as proof, or was it that a forwarding rule was set up.. in which case you have the address in the rule.

As for proof, is there a log of where your account was accessed from? Have you contacted hotmail tech support?

If you know the person and you know that your account was hacked, (how do you know where they did it from?) then report it to the gardai. Its a breach of privacy and its hacking, plain and simple (gaining access to a private system without the authorisation or consent of the owner).

Unless they actually accessed your own hoem PC remotely there's not much you can do except talk to hotmail support as they never went anywhere near your router/firewall.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ste N

LoLth wrote: »
    if the mails were forwarded, how do you know where they were forwarded to?

was it a case of "they sent the contents of my inbox to another account" in which case you have the sent items with the address on them as proof, or was it that a forwarding rule was set up.. in which case you have the address in the rule.

As for proof, is there a log of where your account was accessed from? Have you contacted hotmail tech support?

If you know the person and you know that your account was hacked, (how do you know where they did it from?) then report it to the gardai. Its a breach of privacy and its hacking, plain and simple (gaining access to a private system without the authorisation or consent of the owner).

Unless they actually accessed your own hoem PC remotely there's not much you can do except talk to hotmail support as they never went anywhere near your router/firewall.

The person forwarded mail -containing info about them -to their own address, then made up that my account sent it randomly, this an email from 2 years ago!
    I have contacted hotmail who just really advised to change passwords etc.
    Have also talked to the gardai, they said to get proof if we could and that anything further could be put down as harassment.

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

well, then hotmail should have logs of what IP address accessed the account on what dates,

your sent items should contain a record of when the mail was sent and when, so there's your timeframe.

get the IP from hotmail and pass it alogn to the gardai (you could do an iplookup and see if the IP is in the range belonging to your friend's ISP - would be handy if it was different from your own ISP).

As a civilian you're not likely to get anything more out of either hotmail or any ISP. IP addresses are considered private information and require a court order to get an ISP to reveal who had that IP on that date (assuming they can actually do so, I'm not 100% sure on the retention policy for IP lease logs in ISPs).

If you are requesting IP access logs from Hotmail (and you should be able to seeign as its access to your own account that you are looking up) then pad the date/time a little bit as if you are too narrow in your request you might miss the actual login because you havent allowed for time the user took to read and search the mail before sending.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Best of luck. I've spent over two years, on and off, trying to convince nothingworksproperly@hotmail.com to close my account with no success. People are still getting spam from the address. I'd just cut my losses and walk away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

That is psycho awful!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Ste N

LoLth wrote: »
    well, then hotmail should have logs of what IP address accessed the account on what dates,

your sent items should contain a record of when the mail was sent and when, so there's your timeframe.

get the IP from hotmail and pass it alogn to the gardai (you could do an iplookup and see if the IP is in the range belonging to your friend's ISP - would be handy if it was different from your own ISP).

As a civilian you're not likely to get anything more out of either hotmail or any ISP. IP addresses are considered private information and require a court order to get an ISP to reveal who had that IP on that date (assuming they can actually do so, I'm not 100% sure on the retention policy for IP lease logs in ISPs).

If you are requesting IP access logs from Hotmail (and you should be able to seeign as its access to your own account that you are looking up) then pad the date/time a little bit as if you are too narrow in your request you might miss the actual login because you havent allowed for time the user took to read and search the mail before sending.

Think I'll go to hotmail again and try that, thanks for taking the time, appreciate it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 126 ✭✭infodox

Get the FULL HEADERS of the emails sent (if they are in your outbox). IIRC there is a field in Hotmail emails in the mail headers (cannot recall what it is called) that has their IP address in it...

Advertisement