Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hidden Gems of Dublin

Options
  • 19-05-2012 1:29am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hey Guys!

It's been ages and ages since I've been on but I thought this question that's been bugging me for a while would be the best way to come back! I've lived in Dublin all my life, and yet every time I go to town with my friends it's the same - Eddie Rockets and maybe the cinema, if we're feeling particularly adventurous. Surely there's more to our fair city than that? This summer I wanna try and discover what Dublin has to offer. So, tell me, what's your hidden gem of Dublin? Cafes, restaurants, bars, events, cultural stuff, give me everything, I've got a good three months of summer to explore :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Go to the George, now thats real Dublin

21/25

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 62 ✭✭FreddysFace

Iveagh Gardens just off Harcourt Street, beautiful. St Patricks Park, a sunny day there, you're laughing. Walk on a Sunday morning through the Phoniex Park, perfect. A walk down Grafton Street, followed by a coffee up by The Powerscourt Townhouse, tapas in The Port House,

Dublin is amazing

The hidden gem of Dublin? The roads out of there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Moved from After Hours

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

Go down the boardwalks, score some gear and go on the nod in Stephen's Green.

There's no denying it would be a fresh new experience, if nothing else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Finches, Clondalkin. A charming little tavern.

Seriously though bar wise The Bernard Shaw(if you like a bitta the aul dance music) has a deadly smoking area/Beer garden with a big, old bus out the back where they sell lovely pizza. Can be full of scenester twats though.

Anseo(camden st.), Dice bar(Smithfield). The Exchequer(Just off Georges st.) hogans(Georges st.) Sin e(on the quays) Pacino's on Suffolk st. turns into a salsa club on a Saturday night when the restaurant closes. Bull & Castle (christchurch) Against the Grain (camden st.)

The Pav in Trinity on a sunny day is great too, knacker drinking has never been so upmarket.

Restaurants. Dada, Odessa, Acupulco, The Port house. Hot Chilli on Kevin st. after a night on the piss, the taco fries are outrageous. :pac:

Forbidden fruit on at the start of June in Kilmainham. One of the smaller festivals but a decent variety of acts and it's great craic altogether.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭ChickenScratch

I'm from Clondalkin... Finches? Don't even try it... ;)

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

See the Walking Dead every day on Talbot Street .Real thing too .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

I'm from Clondalkin... Finches? Don't even try it... ;)

Gala in Ballyfermot might be more your scene :pac:

Another gem in Dublin would be The Screen cinema (D'Olier st.) has classic movie nights on Mondays or Tuesdays i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,677 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

The hidden gem of Dublin? The roads out of there.

Must log on to put somewhere or someone down. Nice helpful balanced lad. ;)

Take a look at the outdoor cinema in Meeting House Square Chickenscratch, I'd wrap up well and bring a hip flask though.

http://www.dublinevents.com/dublin-cinemas/meeting-house-square.php

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,866 ✭✭✭drquirky

Gala in Ballyfermot might be more your scene :pac:

Another gem in Dublin would be The Screen cinema (D'Olier st.) has classic movie nights on Mondays or Tuesdays i think.

The Cappagh House in Finglas is a good laugh :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Check out http://dublintown.ie/, it has a great list of events and cultural things to check out.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭lilblackdress

http://foamcafe.ie/

Check this cafe out! I am in love with the place! The upstairs is great with loads of comfy couches to choose from! Defo a hidden gem imo! ;)

Also The Garage bar on Essex St, Temple bar! Quality spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Go see this fantastic museum all about the events of the Easter Rising, along with the carefully preserved actual buildings the Volunteers made a makeshift barracks out of.

It's up on Moore Street and it's...sorry, just been told it is not open yet.

Here's a pic of it at the moment.

AbOlW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Chester Beatty library and gardens in Dublin castle are a real gem. Also the botanical gardens are a good place, both are free and impressive to the ladies.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

The Dead Zoo. aka the National History Museum is an amazing step back in time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

War Memorial Gardens in Islandbridge

Just beautiful

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Coles

Well worth checking out FreeFun.ie. Free events and things to do in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭ziggy23

MadsL wrote: »
    Go see this fantastic museum all about the events of the Easter Rising, along with the carefully preserved actual buildings the Volunteers made a makeshift barracks out of.

It's up on Moore Street and it's...sorry, just been told it is not open yet.

Here's a pic of it at the moment.

AbOlW.jpg

Was only looking at this building the other day it's disgraceful that it hasn't been preserved let alone allowed to rot like this. Moore Street itself is an awful kip now:mad::(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

Pace2008 wrote: »
    Go down the boardwalks, score some gear and go on the nod in Stephen's Green.

There's no denying it would be a fresh new experience, if nothing else.

Pace ye fecker ye got in there before me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Personally I love Blessington Street Basin. Just up past the Mater. I found it by chance once strolling through on the way to Phibsboro. Great place to sit enjoy the wildlife. You can get a few locals out drinking tins and junkies getting a tan but that adds to the flavour of the place.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

There's a charming little doorway on O'connell st across from the GPO and right beside a newspaper stand...a convenient marble step awaits the weary traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EricPraline

ted1 wrote: »
    Chester Beatty library and gardens in Dublin castle are a real gem. Also the botanical gardens are a good place, both are free and impressive to the ladies.
    Would second the Botanic Gardens. Beautiful spot, particularly in this weather. Always surprised how many long-term Dublin residents have never visited the gardens, or are unaware of their existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

http://www.botanicgardens.ie/

Beautiful place on nice sunny day

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭sticksman

Would recommend the Royal Oak in Kilmainham. Fantastic little watering hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

sticksman wrote: »
    Would recommend the Royal Oak in Kilmainham. Fantastic little watering hole.

The Patriot's Pub just up from it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Would second the Botanic Gardens. Beautiful spot, particularly in this weather. Always surprised how many long-term Dublin residents have never visited the gardens, or are unaware of their existence.

Botanic gardens is great and there's a wonderful cafe which serves lovely food. After you've had enough of flowers take a stroll to the pub the Gravediggers I believe it's steeped in historyxxx

Advertisement