Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

beretta 92fs .22 can they be got in Ireland??

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

There are a few Beretta 92 in Ireland. Or at least there should be. I used to own one, and i know a few that did too. Whether they still have them, traded them, and then if the dealer they traded them to still has them is another question.

As for conversion kits. A tad expensive, and when you combine it to the price of the gun. Well there are far superior, and cheaper alternatives out there in .22 cal.

As for buying one in 9mm, and converting it. That could be tricky or easy depending on how it's done. The conversion would need to be done prior to being shipped from the country you bought it in. Thee is not a gope in hell of a 9mm being allowed to be imported irrespective of the planned conversion. They simply will not allow it, and it's the reasons for the Miinister's statement in Nov. 08. However buying in a conversion kit if you found one already in the country would be a strong possibility. However this means you've paid a dealer for a 9mm slide, mag, and frame that you cannot own/possess.

Of course i goes without saying, but i will anyay, that any .22 mag bought in the kit must be limited to 5 shots. Anymore and it's restricted, and hence cannot be licensed. So the 10 round mag would need to be plgged. I've heard from various lads over the years how they were forced to have a chamber plugged or mag plugged, and a letter from the manufacturer to say the plug was permanent before the person was granted an import license to bring in the firearm.

TBH other than the "i want it factor" i see so many other alternatives you could go for. Easier routes, different makes/models, etc. For less money too.

Any particular reason for going this route?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Site Banned Posts: 179 ✭✭JasonBourne

thanks for the informed repy

i have shot one in florida when i was on holidays a few years back. its a amazing pistol. the balance the feel etc. was just curious about the chances of getting one here in Ireland as a .22lr. i wouldnt discount it completely. i'll make some calls about it during the week and see what i find out.

.......... i wouldnt discount it completely. ..........
    It's not impossible, just a lot more complicated. As said above though there are better options for the same to less money. Are you "fixed" on the Berreta?
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

not fixed, its just an option i want to explore

what do you recommend? i would like some thing as close as possible to it. and what kind of money would they be.

Thanks

There are lads with a far better knowledge of rimfire pistols than i, but my reason for asking is you seem to want the Beretta. The fact that you are looking into getting a 9mm converted to 22 to have one seems to support this hence my reason for asking were you determined to try and get one of them.

If it's more a target 22 rimfire there are other makes such as S&W 41
    sw_mod41.jpg
    Hammerli,
    acf60dc.jpg
    and also Beretta. Namely the 87T.
    b99a24cd.jpg

Going on reports, and reviews i believe the S&W model 41 would be an excellent choice. Doesn't have the "appeal" of a Beretta, but a great pistol. Had i the money, and license i would love a 1911 in 22 (well actually in .45 but that's not going to happen). I just like the look, and design of the pistol.

sig_1911-22-FDE.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Buy a cz kadet , they are all steel construction unlike most of the other zinc-alloy junk on the market, they are reliable as the whole slide doesn't move , just a small breech block, and are accurate because they have a fixed barrel. also any of the upgrade parts for the cz 75 centrefires fit as the frame is the same as the kadet and the pistols are easily available from frankonia or tribel.

Hmmm i see, that CZ seems like the best (aesthetically speaking) im not gone on the 357 magnum look. as i said ill make some calls during the week and see whats what.

thanks lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,788 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

If you aren't looking on spending a fortune, then I'd consider a Smith & Wesson 22A with a 7 inch barrel or else I'd go for a Hammerli.

They are both very accurate for the money, approx €800ish new, and maybe a good bit cheaper second hand.

BattleCorp wrote: »
    If you aren't looking on spending a fortune, then I'd consider a Smith & Wesson 22A with a 7 inch barrel or else I'd go for a Hammerli.

They are both very accurate for the money, approx €800ish new, and maybe a good bit cheaper second hand.

Thanks for that.

Found an 9mm 92fs this morning. Aparently would be sold for very little money. Now trying to see how much a conversion kit would be to import and te legalitys etc. will keep the thread updated when i know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭EWQuinn

Beretta makes a nice looking kit MRSP = $380 US. I gotta believe you have a dealer in ROI that could get you one if you can license for it. There are other kits including a decent one by Ciener available in USA.

http://www.silencerresearch.com/beretta_ciener.htm

Here are Ciener's export terms & they have dealers in Europe including UK - http://www.22lrconversions.com/exprt-pg.htm

This outfit originating in Italy makes a nice looking Beretta .22 clone. Were I in the market I'd at least be checking out this piece.

http://www.chiappafirearms.com/path/recreational

And supposedly they have a dealer in ROI

http://www.young-guns.org.uk/

Since ideas are free and you have an interesting little project going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Stay AWAY FROM CIENER!!Apprently they are a disaster in both product and customer service,and personality..Which is pretty sad as they used to do some very good silencers and other exotics.:(:(

www.donotbuyciener22lrconversions.org
    http://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=300383
    http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/index.php/t-623697.html

Esp revelant to the current gun under discussion!
    http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?178797-Ciener-22-Conversion-for-the-Beretta-92

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Your caution is well taken. Most of what I have heard is that Ciener's.22 conversions work, if you dont have to deal direct with them you are ok. However I doubt these would be really available in Europe anyway. If you can't get the Beretta conversion, best bet is a good .22 cal pistol.

While I dont have research on them yet either, there are about 4 items in the Chiappa line I would be thinking about acquiring were I to win the lottery.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Stay AWAY FROM CIENER!!Apprently they are a disaster in both product and customer service,and personality..Which is pretty sad as they used to do some very good silencers and other exotics.:(:(

Hmmm. That's odd. I have the Ciener .22 conversions for a HP35 and a Colt M1911 and both have enabled me to go home from the range richer than when I arrived.

A few of us over in WA/OR have them for the sheer fun factor, and I've not yet heard of any problems. Perhaps you'd like to tell us more, please?

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Tac,
    There are four links there to folks that have problems and had problems in my post.You just click on them[the underlined links] for all the revelant info.;):)
    But I'll surmise it breifly from the posts.

Ceiner to deal with as a company and personality wise is an utter pig.
    They dont deliver on warrenties,or the product without long delays or Bull shtting the customers.Write to them first enc a 5 dollar cheque so you can make an appointment to ring them by phone somtime...:eek:
    Recently Ciener was arrested for fraud as well..
    So all in all it sounds like somthing to avoid!!

If you have two units that work count your blessings.I'd bet they are older units where they apprently did still do a somwhat better quality control than the non existant quality control of today.
    I am in the same boat of looking for a conversion kit for my 9mm and a 45 I aquired off a dealer who was going out of buisness.
    TBH ,I'd check out the german line of these made by UHL or possibly GSG.Cost abit more but work 99% of the time apprently.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭rowa

Both sig sauer and cz make and sell their own conversion kits and both have good reputations for reliability. I was thinking of getting a p226 in .22 myself but they are expensive.

Yep, and I still say, if you want a 92 / M9 in .22, you have to at least consider this one from Italian maker Chiappa. They look really sweet.

261jnrs.jpg

Advertisement