Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adam Johnsons future at City

• 19-05-2012 9:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭

Surely its time for Adam Johnson to realise that he is no longer needed at Manchester City?

He is a player who I would like to see at my club (Man United), but for obvious reasons I cannot see that transfer happening. So where would he end up if both parties agree its time to move on?
    I reckon he could be bought for anywhere in between 10 to 15 million. This would give City a profit on their investment and also wouldn't be an outrageous price for someone to pay for his services.

Tottenham will always be interested in these type of players. Liverpool should be interested in these type of players. However I cant see either being a good move for him. Harry Redknapp can freeze players out of a squad very regularly, just ask David Bentley and Niko Kranckjar. And Liverpool is a bit of a mess at the moment. I think he would benefit a team with a smaller squad of players like an Everton or a Newcastle who will almost certainly play him.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

Good player who I think is slightly overrated. He's a great impact sub. Might be a good signing for Liverpool who are in dire need of a decent winger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

People who watch City infrequently think Johnson is an under used superstar winger when the reality is that he simply isn't good enough for the best sides in the league. For every flash of magic there's 20 of moments of rubbish. Oh, and his defensive game is woeful.

He'd be a great pick up for someone like Villa or Everton and if he left I wouldn't lose any sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Will really struggle to get a game if City manage to get Hazard. Pity it hasn't worked out better, seems like a decent guy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Xavi6 wrote: »
    People who watch City infrequently think Johnson is an under used superstar winger when the reality is that he simply isn't good enough for the best sides in the league. For every flash of magic there's 20 of moments of rubbish. Oh, and his defensive game is woeful.

He'd be a great pick up for someone like Villa or Everton and if he left I wouldn't lose any sleep.

Could of sworn you were talking about NANI here. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Fact is Johnson isn't glamorous enough for cit-eh, just like Richard Dunne who was replaced by Joleon "nearly threw the league away" Lescott.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Says it all when downing is selected ahead of him for the euros

keith16 wrote: »
    Fact is Johnson isn't glamorous enough for cit-eh,

There's nothing factual about that statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Fact is Johnson isn't glamorous enough for cit-eh, just like Richard Dunne who was replaced by Joleon "nearly threw the league away" Lescott.

I think the fact is that neither of them are good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I never realised gareth barry was so glamorous until now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I rate his ability but his head holds him back. He's so selfish and self centered when he's playing. It looks like he would rather he do well than the team do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Why would you lose sleep if you lose ANY of your players to be fair. Every player at City is easily replacable with the financial firepower they have, with the possible exception of Yaya Toure.

Aguero, Hart, Silva, Kompany etc...spend enough and they would all be forgotten quickly enough. If i were a City fan i wouldn't bat an eyelid at Johnson leaving, the only advantage of keeping him at this stage is preventing him playing for a rival for the title over the next couple of years, and only United and Chelsea are realistic challangers over the next couple of seasons imo, especially if Arsenal lose Van Persie. Lets assume City won't sell him to United (besides they already are pretty strong in wide positions). Chelsea? Maybe, not sure if they'd want him, or that he's even good enough for them, assuming this season in the league is a bit of an anomaly for them and they strengthen in the summer.

As a Liverpool fan i'd take him and he could be really good for us, he'll soon be redundant at City with the talent they have (and with more to follow)...you may as well throw him to us, its not like we're a rival for the title! I'd be surprised if Johnson gets any real game time for City over the next couple of years, they have outgrown players of his calibre. He can sit on the money or agitate for a move and make the most of himself. To be fair to him he is a level above Villa, i could see him going to Spurs or Arsenal, but not a side like Villa. Any chance you'd take Downing and a few quid?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

This is the case with almost all young wingers. They need game time to get consistency.

Maybe he isn't great but we'll never know if he only starts in dribs and drabs. Nani is an example of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Joleon "nearly threw the league away" Lescott.

Joleon "without question among the best defenders in European football at the moment, coming from a United fan" Lescott.

This is the case with almost all young wingers. They need game time to get consistency.

Maybe he isn't great but we'll never know if he only starts in dribs and drabs. Nani is an example of this.

He's almost 25, when does he stop being called a 'young winger'? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭JohnnyRyan99

Unfortunetly for Johnson his game is very much an impact one, I have great time for him and would like us to keep him... He's the only true winger we have and is the only one that offers us something different. He's won or salvaged games for us on his own at times... Couple of seasons ago against Newcastle springs to mind just off the bat. Consistency is an issue with him though!

The Games he starts < The games he comes on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Id love him at Liverpool. We cant compete for the likes of Hazard so we need players like Johnson. Especially with Downing being a load of **** this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Man City got rid of all their Irish in order to be good enough to win the league. In time they'll be getting rid of their English too in order to be the best in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

kitakyushu wrote: »
    Man City got rid of all their Irish in order to be good enough to win the league. In time they'll be getting rid of their English too in order to be the best in Europe.

Your portrayal of their transfer policy as some sort of systematic removal of various national groups seems hopelessly simplistic. Judging by your logic Hart and Lescott (two mainstays this season) should be quaking in their boots?

Vaguely related question for the resident city fans, how is Michael Johnson progressing from his latest injury setback? Its desperately sad that a young player who seemed to have the world at his feet 3 or so seasons back has been tormented by so many injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭steelcityblues

You fail to realise that simply not good enough for City, with their unlimited spending, means good enough for just about every other EPL club. A winger does not need to have a good defensive game, if he has a decent full back behind him (he did with Zabaleta and Richards).

Same goes for Edin Dzeko, who obviously has a brilliant club and country goalscoring record,and should be a first XI player based on his talent.

bwatson wrote: »
    Your portrayal of their transfer policy as some sort of systematic removal of various national groups seems hopelessly simplistic. Judging by your logic Hart and Lescott (two mainstays this season) should be quaking in their boots?
    It was meant that way. Someone was making that point that the likes of Dunne were got rid of because he wasn't 'glamourous' enough .... rather than because the truth that he wasn't good enough. I was just extending the idea to nationality rather than 'glamour factor'.

Anyway to answer your question with a question, 'why not?'. Guys like Tevez, Kompany and Silva are (or are at least seriously close to being) the best in the world at what they do. Are Hart and Lescott? I don't think so. So for a club with unlimited resources those two shouldn't be making any long term plans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

GSPfan wrote: »
    Could of sworn you were talking about NANI here. :)

Ha seriously? Johnson is nowhere near in the same class as Nani.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

kitakyushu wrote: »
    It was meant that way. Someone was making that point that the likes of Dunne were got rid of because he wasn't 'glamourous' enough .... rather than because the truth that he wasn't good enough. I was just extending the idea to nationality rather than 'glamour factor'.

Anyway to answer your question with a question, 'why not?'. Guys like Tevez, Kompany and Silva are (or are at least seriously close to being) the best in the world at what they do. Are Hart and Lescott? I don't think so. So for a club with unlimited resources those two shouldn't be making any long term plans.

Then the idea you are promoting doesn't make sense. Moving from glamour factor to ability is a fair one, but to take it a step further is ridiculous. Players are not inherently more or less able due to their nationality. Nor are they necessarily less glamorous (beckham for example) but that idea deserves little attention anyway.

Hart has been probably the best keeper in the Premier League this season. I can't agree with your statement that he is not one of the best in the world at what he does.

The point about Lescott is open to more debate, although at times I think his contributions are somewhat underrated simply because he is playing next to clearly the finest defender in England at the moment.

bwatson wrote: »
    Then the idea you are promoting doesn't make sense. Moving from glamour factor to ability is a fair one, but to take it a step further is ridiculous. Players are not inherently more or less able due to their nationality. Nor are they necessarily less glamorous (beckham for example) but that idea deserves little attention anyway.

Hart has been probably the best keeper in the Premier League this season. I can't agree with your statement that he is not one of the best in the world at what he does.

The point about Lescott is open to more debate, although at times I think his contributions are somewhat underrated simply because he is playing next to clearly the finest defender in England at the moment.

I'm not 'promoting' any idea other than that Man City have been (and will be in the future) selling lesser players and buying better ones. There's no more truth to it than that. Dunne didn't get offloaded because he was less glamourous that Lescott. Similarily Irish or English players didn't (won't) get offloaded simply because of their nationality.

The point is it won't surprise me if many of the next wave to be culled at City will be English players because imho many of them are not good enough and won't be good enough long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

Why would you lose sleep if you lose ANY of your players to be fair. Every player at City is easily replacable with the financial firepower they have, with the possible exception of Yaya Toure.

Aguero, Hart, Silva, Kompany etc...spend enough and they would all be forgotten quickly enough.

Rubbish. Kompany is indispensable to City. He is more then a player, he is a leader and a great character to have in the dressing room.

It's real life, not Championship Manager. You need character and leadership, and a chequebook doesn't buy that.

Hart is one of the best goalkeepers around right now, and seems to have a good character. Aguero is a world class player and wouldn't be replaced easily. Ditto Silva.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Scuba Ste

The more threads I read about City the more I'm sure most haven't watched us much at all this season.

Johnson is not good enough to be a regular for a top 4 team. That is the simple reason he doesn't start more. Against poorer teams he sometimes does something special but by and large he is poor for us. It is that simple. He had potential but he's not really pushed on to the next level and I don't think he will now.

We won't be replacing Hart or Kompany any time soon either. Ridiculous to suggest it.

You fail to realise that simply not good enough for City, with their unlimited spending, means good enough for just about every other EPL club. A winger does not need to have a good defensive game, if he has a decent full back behind him (he did with Zabaleta and Richards).

Same goes for Edin Dzeko, who obviously has a brilliant club and country goalscoring record,and should be a first XI player based on his talent.

I don't fail to realise anything, I know exactly how good Johnson is having watched him more than the vast majority around here. He is not 'good enough for just about any other EPL club', which is what I already said.

Funny how another in the know City fan agrees with me -
    Scuba Ste wrote: »
    Johnson is not good enough to be a regular for a top 4 team. That is the simple reason he doesn't start more. Against poorer teams he sometimes does something special but by and large he is poor for us. It is that simple. He had potential but he's not really pushed on to the next level and I don't think he will now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

He's an absolutely quality player, but he seems to have an attitude problem. Certainly, there are issues in the training as to why he doesn't play

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

monkey9 wrote: »
    He's an absolutely quality player, but he seems to have an attitude problem. Certainly, there are issues in the training as to why he doesn't play

I've never heard of issues with him and the management in training, to be honest, I'd say it's just a case of him not being better than the players around him. Which he isn't.

He is competing with Silva, Nasri, Kun and Balotelli and he isn't a patch on any of them.

Good player, but not a great player, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Sunderland make an enquiry for him:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/safc-news/2012/05/29/61634-31065292/
    SUNDERLAND have asked Manchester City about Adam Johnson’s availability this summer – as Martin O’Neill offers Ji Dong-won assurances on his future.

The Black Cats are set to lose Kieran Richardson in the close season and want a left-sided winger to compliment breakout star James McClean. O’Neill would love that man to be Johnson, and a tentative enquiry has been lodged with a high-ranking City official about whether the England man might be made available this summer.

Roberto Mancini is yet to decide whether to keep Johnson but knows the player is unhappy with the amount of games he played last season and may have his hand forced by the Sunderland-born former Middlesbrough man.

Johnson is understood to be open to the possibility of moving to the Black Cats – whether on loan or on a permanent basis.

But it would be up to Sunderland to come up with a financial package that would make the deal happen.

Johnson’s weekly wage is well in excess of Sunderland’s top earner, which may pose a problem with the club undertaking efforts to reduce their overall wage bill.

I'd be amazed if we could come up with a financial package to attract him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,280 ✭✭✭slingerz

Be amazed if Liverpool/Newcastle/spurs weren't interested in him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,992 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Paully D wrote: »
    Sunderland make an enquiry for him:

http://www.journallive.co.uk/safc/safc-news/2012/05/29/61634-31065292/

I'd be amazed if we could come up with a financial package to attract him.
    So they want a left-sided winger to compliment a left-sided winger? And Johnson is that man because he plays on the right?

I don't mind if its you or I that make a mistake but a journalist is paid to do these things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

eagle eye wrote: »
    So they want a left-sided winger to compliment a left-sided winger? And Johnson is that man because he plays on the right?

I don't mind if its you or I that make a mistake but a journalist is paid to do these things right.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Douglas is usually bang on with Sunderland articles in fairness to him but that's a mistake definitely. Obviously McClean and Johnson will be our two wingers if he signs (which he probably won't). O'Neill however does want to use McClean on the right if reports are to be believed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Sssssshhh. Martinez might hear you and Liverpool might not spend £20m on a under-rated superstar left winger!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,995 ✭✭✭DoctorGonzo08

Some very silly comments about Johnson on here. Very similar to the plaudits Scott Parker recieves.

Johnson, already undisciplined, took a step backwards this season. Last season Mancini was questioned for not giving him 90 minutes. The reason was he constantly broke curfew before games to attend openings, galas and what not with his new found fame from a couple of good performances for England. That being said, he was quick, took on defenders, and added width to the attack by going wide.

This year, it is obvious he put on weight, he dropped taking on defenders for the option of cutting inside for a shot and as a result completely clogged up a central City attack. He contiinued in the same selfish manner over the team. However scoring as a late substitute twice in 3, and 4-0 wins along with a great performance against a weakened Wolves side in the cup puts him as 'underused' and 'exceptional talent'.

He had potential 3 years ago. He hasn't fulfilled that potential. He is no better than Aaron Lennon, Steven Pienaar or Stewart Downing. That's the unfortunate facts.

Advertisement