Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Android-Driven Petite PC €57.99

• 19-05-2012 9:31am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Saw this posted on lifeofandroid and thought it looks pretty sweet to be honest.

1_600x450-580x380.jpg

Description

This is the MK802 computer-in-a-stick, a Chinese designed and built memory stick sized embedded computer, available in both full-sized USB and micro-USB formats, with a built-in 4GB of flash storage, a 1.5GHz AllWinner A10 processor, 512MB of RAM and, of course, preloaded Android 4.0.
    The latest in a line of highly fashionable (and desirable) PC-in-your-pocket embedded systems, this mini miracle follows the likes of the Cotton Candy and the widely press-covered Raspberry Pi, and despite the waiflike weight of just 200g, comes Wi-Fi enabled and can even output 1080p videos through HDMI thanks to a MALI400 GPU.
    Sold out but new batch on the 10th June. You need to pre-order also and may take a number of weeks for delivery as it is China.

Flood doors will open now since the Raspberry PI and for €57 I think this is a bargain. You may even get Linux on this with an SD card.

DIRECT LINK TO SITE

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 699 ✭✭✭heathersonline

That's pretty amazing I didn't know these even existed. How do you hook them up to a monitor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 589 ✭✭✭Sync

That's pretty amazing I didn't know these even existed. How do you hook them up to a monitor?

They support HDMI :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I think you'd plug it into a HDMI port on a tv/monitor & the USB port of a keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

Question is, could you put ubuntu or some other form of linux on it ? It looks like it would beat the raspberry PI on the basis its faster, packaged and comes with its own Storage memory

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭webels

Among other things this could make a good netflix player. Android netflix app is quite good. These can only get cheaper.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Was gonna post this last night, and got lazy, yeah it's pretty good. Windows 8 and Linux can both be installed on it.

It's nearest competitor the Cotton Candy is €189. Youtube Video

Small Article Comparing the two
    Unless you're lucky enough to live in Scandinavia, you'll have to wait till the end of summer to get your Cotton Candy fix. Aching to nab yourself a computer-on-a-stick before then? If you're willing to step down in specs, the Chinese-made MK802 could be the PC in your pocket. For $74 (versus $199 for the Cotton Candy), this 7-ounce device gives you a 1.5-GHz Allwinner A10 CPU, 512MB of RAM, 4GB of storage and, like the Cotton Candy, Android 4.0. FXI's version, on the other hand, packs a dual-core 1.2-GHz Samsung Exynos processor, and while the MK802 offers an HDMI port, the Cotton Candy includes an HDMI connector. The MK802 is slightly bulkier than its sweetly named competitor (3.5 inches vs. 3.1), but that Android logo on the front does wonders for its design cred. AliExpress.com is currently selling the MK802 with free shipping to the US -- click the source link for a gander.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭groom

AntiRip wrote: »
    You need to pre-order also and may take a number of weeks for delivery as it is China.

I can't see the pre order option link on the website. How do you pre order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

Where does it get its power from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Where does it get its power from?

A power adapter. Input 5V2A :eek:

Def 24/7 downloading machine ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

Scary stuff alright, but are these yokes just mobile phones with the screen and battery and a few other gubbins taken out ????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Alkers

A power adapter. Input 5V2A :eek:

Def 24/7 downloading machine ;)

So it needs it's own plug also? Quite a bit more to carry around if that's the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I think this should sadly get an expired tag, Its sold out until June according the website already. I'll be watching it though, seems that the lads in China have paid attention the massive interest in raspberry PI.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

Was there a pre order button earlier? Doesn't seem to be one now.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,955 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Yeah. Even pre orders seem to have been closed now :(

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Surely this will suck as your TV isn't touch screen.

jayteecork wrote: »

It has bluetooth & usb so u can connect keyboard and mouse.

Also u can get apps in googleplay store to use ur phone or tablet as touchscreen remote control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

Am I correct in thinking that this is essentially a Google TV box shrunk down to the size of a memory stick?

Assuming you don't need the ultra portability of this thing (if you don't count the keyboard, mouse, charger and cables) then are you not just as well off with a Google TV box?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Do-more wrote: »
    Am I correct in thinking that this is essentially a Google TV box shrunk down to the size of a memory stick?

Assuming you don't need the ultra portability of this thing (if you don't count the keyboard, mouse, charger and cables) then are you not just as well off with a Google TV box?

Linky?

This seems to be back again on pre-order.

Here's another seller on Aliexpress who appears to have stock but it might be wise to contact them and check delivery times.

[Edit] Just asked the seller via the live chat if they have stock, will update when & if I get a reply.

[Edit 2]
    Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:19:53)
    you can make order now , i will send order on 3 workdays after aliexpress assure your payment

Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:20:05)
    i think on Friday or Sunday will send your order

So I asked- (2012-5-23 10:23:12)
    OK Thank you, you are sure that I will not have to wait weeks for the despatch?
    Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:23:17)
    yes
    Pisen Chang(2012-05-23 01:23:25)
    dont worry it

invest4deepvalue.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

Hi,

I recently bought an Android box somewhat similiar to this

http://www.lillicotch.com/Blog/2011/12/03/if-you-are-thinking-about-connecting-your-tv-to-the-web/

I'm unable to watch most of the videos on youtube as it never loads them. It tries to load the videos for ages and at last says "format may not be supported".

If you are planning to buy this Android PC make sure that it open the videos properly.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

guessaname wrote: »
    Hi,

I recently bought an Android box somewhat similiar to this

http://www.lillicotch.com/Blog/2011/12/03/if-you-are-thinking-about-connecting-your-tv-to-the-web/

I'm unable to watch most of the videos on youtube as it never loads them. It tries to load the videos for ages and at last says "format may not be supported".

If you are planning to buy this Android PC make sure that it open the videos properly.

Cheers

Android 2.2...that explains that anyway.

This looks awesome, I was hoping to buy a raspberry pie, but this might be a better option!

I've ordered one from the link in my post #21 anyway, will report back whenever I get it.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭mcw92

Would this be good to hook upto my TV and watch Sky player and such? Would it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

dont want to sound all old and whatever but....did you ever think you'd see the day? a computer in your palm. god bless those tech guys around the world

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭guessaname

Android 2.2...that explains that anyway.

This looks awesome, I was hoping to buy a raspberry pie, but this might be a better option!

Sorry my device is Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,203 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

mcw92 wrote: »
    Would this be good to hook upto my TV and watch Sky player and such? Would it work?

Well it will not support the actually sky player website as that is Silverlight driven, but it should work with the sky player app, how good that would be on a tv, im not sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Well it will not support the actually sky player website as that is Silverlight driven, but it should work with the sky player app, how good that would be on a tv, im not sure!

I've read that HDMI out streaming is disabled in the app.
    XDA might have a way to renable such feature tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jArgHA

Does anyone know if this would support playback of matroska videos with embedded subtitles?

• Advertisement

jArgHA wrote: »
    Does anyone know if this would support playback of matroska videos with embedded subtitles?

It has Android 4.0 on it so basically any app in the googleplay store will work, just like phone or tablet. MX Player or BSPlayer will play any file you throw at it with subtitles support.

I already have a USB hub like this at home, if I plug that in to the single USB port on this thing will Android be able to pick up a usb keyboard and usb mouse connected to it?

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭bala

Do-more wrote: »
    I already have a USB hub like this at home, if I plug that in to the single USB port on this thing will Android be able to pick up a usb keyboard and usb mouse connected to it?

I might be wrong but I think it will require a powered USB hub

something like this

http://www3.buyincoins.com/details/usb-2-0-high-speed-7-port-hub-powered-ac-adapter-product-1746.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

don't suppose anyone has come across any cheap monitors to go along with this? :p

Anyone have trouble ordering? Can put in my details but it get stuck at the order screen.

nvm. I had to sign in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

jayteecork wrote: »

You could add THIS for $75.98 (€60.50) In December/January :p

When you have Windows 8 installed on it.. :D

• Advertisement

Allyall wrote: »

Like I need another way to play fruit ninja....

invest4deepvalue.com

It has bluetooth & usb so u can connect keyboard and mouse.

Also u can get apps in googleplay store to use ur phone or tablet as touchscreen remote control

I don't think bluetooth is build in. No mention of it in the ops link and the on one Do-more posted says.
    -It also no RGB port,no S-video port, no built-in IR,no built-in bluetooth.

<edit> Came to €57.29, ordered form Do-more's link.

Just got this message from the seller this morning, so it's not going as smoothly as he first indicated!

Hopefully he really will get the stock from the factory and not mess us all about.
    I asked factory about stock , they said will have stock tomorrow ,
    but all is white color , pls let me know if white color is ok ?
    If white color is ok , i can send your order in 3 workdays !
    Have a good day

invest4deepvalue.com

Tell 'im its gotta be pink or no deal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

acalmenvoy wrote: »
    Scary stuff alright, but are these yokes just mobile phones with the screen and battery and a few other gubbins taken out ????

I think so... surely it is easier to just carry around an Android phone instead of one of these things and a keyboard and a cable for the TV... (edit) and a power cable!

• Advertisement

not to mention having to carry around the 50" flat screen.

It says on the transaction details the order will be cancelled im 10 days if he doesn't send it. So wait until then.

Jet Black wrote: »
    It says on the transaction details the order will be cancelled im 10 days if he doesn't send it. So wait until then.

Yeah, I'm not getting excited, just cheesed off that having got his assurance before ordering that it would be dispatched on Friday or Sunday now the goal posts are shifting.

Aliexpress say that they hold the money until the postage tracking says it has been delivered, so it should be safe in that way at least.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

Allyall wrote: »

Jesus... thats scary how fast tech is moving! very very cool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭darkmaster2

Access wrote: »
    Jesus... thats scary how fast tech is moving! very very cool.

Cyberdyne Systems are involved Id say. Tech has has gone nuts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to say, this is a clone of another device..

I posted about it in the Android forum a few days back.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056644312

The stick has the Mali 400 GPU, so it has the same HD playback abilities as tablets like the Ainol Elf\Aurora, Onda, Hyundai etc.. No trouble with 1080P etc..

Mine now showing as having been shipped today.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭cfeeneyinterior

Been looking at this on and off again for past few days....I see it can now be gotten from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/OEM-SYSTEMS-COMPANY-MK802-Android/dp/B0086DVDCW for $70. It was this video from lilliputing that brought me to Amazon. They say this one has 1Gb Ram rather than 512Mb on the others I've seen on Aliexpress. What ye think. Have many of ye ordered yet and anyone got it yet?
    Looking to make a standalone web browser "Kiosk" with it? Should work right?
    Amazing to think you could do this with such a tiny piece of kit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Been looking at this on and off again for past few days....I see it can now be gotten from Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/OEM-SYSTEMS-COMPANY-MK802-Android/dp/B0086DVDCW for $70. It was this video from lilliputing that brought me to Amazon. They say this one has 1Gb Ram rather than 512Mb on the others I've seen on Aliexpress. What ye think. Have many of ye ordered yet and anyone got it yet?
    Looking to make a standalone web browser "Kiosk" with it? Should work right?
    Amazing to think you could do this with such a tiny piece of kit.

That is not Amazon per se, it's just a seller. I wouldn't trust them just because they're on amazon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement