Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Westport 'the demesne'

Options
  • 19-05-2012 9:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭

Did anybody else notice online maps where Westport is called 'the Demesne' whats that all about then?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

It seems to be a result of Google Maps changing the way locations are represented at a certain zoom level. So we are seeing townlands appear before the actual town. 'The Demesne' is a townland located near Westport. Same goes for 'Clare' near Claremorris as well.

Looks like a glitch to me, I'd imagine it'd be something they will change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

Looks like Kilmoremoy is of more importance than Ballina or Roscommon! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

It seems to be a result of Google Maps changing the way locations are represented at a certain zoom level. So we are seeing townlands appear before the actual town. 'The Demesne' is a townland located near Westport. Same goes for 'Clare' near Claremorris as well.

Looks like a glitch to me, I'd imagine it'd be something they will change.

Ya i'd say thats it alright, good point :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭ChocolateChip

Demesne is a word with connotations pertaining to the landlord times in the 1500-1700s. Westport house was the centre of a huge estate encompassing Westport. When you see 'demesne' on an Ordnance Survey map, it means the area was once an estate ruled by British landlords.

Advertisement