Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

custom build vs shop bought desktop

Options
  • 19-05-2012 11:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭

I was wondering whats the pros and cons
    i'd probably be able to put one together
    i play games fps mostley cod bur more, lately i'm playing world of warcraft so a build that would run it on ultra

so my basic question is whats the best in value for money custom build vs shop/internet bought starting from scratch

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

custom build, without a shadow of a doubt. you'll get more for less, you'll know you have quality components and it's much easier to upgrade down the line when needs be. Plus the lads in here will give you all the info you need including spec up a system if you give your requirements

copy and paste the questions from here, add your answers and the ball will start rolling

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Self build pros:
    -You learn something
    -Better value (usually)
    -Bigger choice of components and more customisable for your needs
    -Far more upgradable
    -Usually better standard features
    -You get to be proud of your own system
    -Generally warranties a little longer (although you have to send off the item individually and often have to pay for postage)

Cons:
    -It takes time to put it together
    -It takes time installing the OS
    -You have to troubleshoot your own problems if something goes wrong (with the help of forums here)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

1. What is your budget? [a good question, as cheap as can be, while being fit to run the games in decent quality, with reasonable quality parts] (i don't know what i'll get for what i'll spend, whould i get away with 600 or would i need to find more?)

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [games] (any fps and warcraft)

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [yes]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) no

5. Do you need a monitor? [yes]

5a. If yes, what size do you need. [22" up]

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] all

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No] heard too many bad storys of burn out cpu

8. How can you pay? [Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [who knows, soon ish?]

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? [Mayo]

basically a start from scratch pc, the one i have is a dell studio i can weight it up later weather to us parts or sell it

i was considering water cooled, as i'm sick of hearing that fan blowing, but depends on cost

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Watercooling is expensive and would eat up at least half of your budget. Given that you need windows and a monitor, it's just not going to happen. You can have a quietish budget system if you buy appropriate fans and a good PSU. I've found that they've gotten a bit quieter over the years or maybe I'm more careful about what I buy.

About overclocking- where have you heard of CPUs being burned out? I don't think I've actually ever heard of someone destroying their CPU with overclocking - aside from extreme circumstances. You'd be far more likely to experience instabilities and shutdowns if you haven't tested it properly.

Edit: Are you a student (primary, second, third level) that you can avail of discounted windows?

fair enough about water cooling just thought i'd ask as i haven't a clue
    i could see monitor and speakers and the likes eating into the budget, so i could use the what i have

so where would that leave me on just building the pc it's self on that type of budget

i as far as putting it together and loading window/linux i'd be fully confidant, only concerns would be with compatabilty and whats the usual story with bios?

about burning out the cpu, i thought i heard that, but maby i'm dreaming

• Advertisement

i'm not a student, i did buy windows 7 ultimate for around €60 from ebay about 10 months ago i could stick vista back on the old one and use that or ubuntu if i'm feeling adventurous

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I had a friendly discussion (e.g. an argument which ended up with infractions being handed out) about this and lost. :D

Even when you use UK boutique builders (not really any in Ireland) you cant beat the company people use on here - especially as they will build the machine for you for €20!

Avoid Dell, PC World etc.

Even when you use UK boutique builders (not really any in Ireland) you cant beat the company people use on here - especially as they will build the machine for you for €20!

can you clarify what you mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

On a budget of 600, you could build quite a good PC, which would easily do everything you hope for it to do, while leaving the door open for you to easily upgrade again in the future.
    Here is what i could find just with a quick look on scan.

Intel Core i5 3450
    Asus P8Z77-V-LX
    4gb Corsair DDR3 1600
    1GB EVGA 560ti
    Mid Tower including 500W PSU
    1TB Seagate SATA3

Icluding delivery, all that comes to roughly 525 pounds, roughly 650 euro.

I know that is a bit over your budget, but it would be worth it.
    Use your current monitor, keyboard and mouse until you can purchase them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

What resolution is your monitor? You could get a fast intel dual core for cheap enough, and upgrade down the line. I have a pentium G630 and it does the job grand - im sure there is an equivalent ivy bridge processor. My res is 1280x720 (TV) and GTA4/Just Cause etc. run fine (on a HD6770). Get a decent motherboard though. If your resolution is much higher (1080p for example) you will likely need something with a bit more kick (and a higher budget!).

CiT aren't exactly renowned for quality power supplies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 ThePandaboy

Custom build everytime and there is alot of website out there that will help you. Ginger6, overclockers, komplett and a place great place to source parts is ebay and pix

ancuncha wrote: »
    can you clarify what you mean?

Over here there are a lot of "lads what build computers" in the UK these lads built some quite profitable companies like Mesh - these guys would use standard components and generally build decent machines.

PC World (Advent, HP, Compaq and alike) and Dell are massive companies that use proprietary (there own stuff) components which aren't upgradeable and in some cases of dubious quality.

You'll see loads of "Check my spec" threads here with a little table on that links to a German online retailer sell components for great prices. Komplett.ie is another option but not as good value.

If its not a word processor you want build your own IMO.

EDIT: I love getting stuff of Adverts.ie that said some people live in cloud cook-coo land! Like this lad
    http://www.adverts.ie/motherboards/asus-maximus-v-gene-z77-ivybridge-micro-atx-gaming-board-socket-1155/1663011 €7 more than buying it new and delivered from Komplett.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fionn_McCool

^^ This is true. I was just doing a very quick glance and pick just to give an idea of choice for his budget.
    A better idea would be a case w/o psu and seperate (decent) psu such as
    PSU
    Case

interesting stuff, thanks to those who researched for me

i also like how i don't have to buy all at once being on a budget like buy graphics card, ram ect and use in current comp till i can afford more

Very much depends what you have but my upgrade cycle goes like this

Never replace (unless broken or obselete)

Case
    Monitors
    PSU
    Keyboard
    Mouse
    Last two sound stupid but I have €150 invested in those!

Almost never upgrade
    Hard Drives

Upgrade once every two years or so
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Processor

Upgrade every 18 months or so
    Graphics Card
    This is one at retail then an identicle one off Adverts or where ever for €50 for SLI / Xfire

Thats just me though.

I was just looking around on ebay and found this guy pre-built and seem cheap
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/you-cant-buy-for-less?_trksid=p4340.l2563

so, what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

ancuncha wrote: »
    I was just looking around on ebay and found this guy pre-built and seem cheap
    http://stores.ebay.co.uk/you-cant-buy-for-less?_trksid=p4340.l2563

so, what do you think?

I think they're cheap crap. Which one were you looking at?

LOL - those are Cons - I assume they are taking the processor speed and multiplying it by the number of cores.

Seriously do a bit of reading and buy of Komplett or http://www1.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp

I think both do a build service. Run the specs by people on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭Eboggles

14.4 ghz?!?! Thats amazing OP, jump on it now! :D
    That's hilarious, they're crap PC's with no gaming capabilities, they don't even have operating systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

LOL - those are Cons - I assume they are taking the processor speed and multiplying it by the number of cores.

Seriously do a bit of reading and buy of Komplett or http://www1.hardwareversand.de/home.jsp

I think both do a build service. Run the specs by people on here.

Komplett don't have a build service. Hardwareversand does though. It's 20 euro.

• Advertisement

lol, i was dubious of them as it seams too cheap
    thanks for confirming

Advertisement