Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

250 mile cycle

• 19-05-2012 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Anyone know where this starts?

Can't find it anywhere online.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

33rd Annual - 250 Mile Cycle - 19th & 20th of May 2012

88 cyclists take to the roads of Clare to raise money to send 60 cancer patients to Lourdes and to help fund the completion of the 250 Cancer Care Centre in Ballygriffey.

Last year's cycle raised €242,900.

Weekend Timetable

Saturday

Departs Ennis @ 9:00
    Arrives in Ruan 9:40
    Tubber - 10:14
    Crusheen - 10:45
    Tulla - 11:50
    Feakle - 12:40
    Bodyke - 13:20
    Scariff - 13:42
    Mountshannon - 14:12
    Whitegate - 14:26
    Scariff - 16:07
    Killaloe - 17:07
    Sixmilebridge - 18:55
    Newmarket on Fergus - 19:54
    Clarecastle - 20:20
    Ennis - 20:43
    Lissycasey - 23:00

Sunday

Departs Lissycasey 7:30
    Arrives in Kilmhil 8:10
    Cooraclare - 10:35
    Kilrush - 11:30
    Kilkee - 12:45
    Doonbeg - 14:45
    Mullagh - 15:50
    Quilty - 16:05
    Miltown Malbay - 16:45
    Lahinch - 17:35
    Liscannor - 17:53
    Ennistymon - 18:52
    Lisdoonvarna - 19:45
    Kilfenora - 20:20
    Corofin - 21:20
    Ennis - 22:03

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭1qTour

Sound

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

Jaysus, I'm getting tired just looking at that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Auldloon

That's a lot of money fair play to all who take part but sending patients to Lourdes!!! What a waste of funds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Chuileog wrote: »
    That's a lot of money fair play to all who take part but sending patients to Lourdes!!! What a waste of funds.
    I believe the vast majority of the funds raised goes to the Clare 250 Cancer Centre but when the cycle started out 33 years ago it was solely for the purpose of sending people (mainly those with serious illness and disabilities) to Lourdes. I think that's why they continue the trip to Lourdes.

I wouldn't be a fan of Loudres myself but I do know of a few people who went with the Clare 250 mile cycle organisation when they were having treatment for cancer and the visit gave them great comfort.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

I wonder would they attract more funds if they were cycling for cancer relief rather than for sending patients to Lourdes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Probably not, it's a local charity that is probably as well supported as possible. I was involved 4 times (3 completed cycles, 1 in bed with flu!) way back.
    They built a hospice too in Ruan I think.
    It's a Clare institution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ger664

They might get more people to do it if the cut that stupid overnight in a hall in Lissycasey. Really after 125 miles on a bike you could do without that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 178 ✭✭pilate 1

spent 16 years doing the cycle. the overnight in lisycasey is the cycle!congrats to all involved.

Yeah the hall in Lissycasey is crap alright, you'd be lucky to get an hour or two kip, but the adrenalin kicks in again. The pain in the arse is worse than no sleep on the Sunday morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

Just finished my 7th one this weekend. Best weather that I can remember. Beautiful day sunday for cycling up the coast.
    No doubt about it, the cycle has some things that could annoy you, Lissycasey or hanging around Kilmilhil for ages on Sunday morning. But the main thing to remember is to 'go with the flow' and enjoy the weekend.

Regs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Do cyclists have to raise a certain amount to be able to take part?
    Whats the pace like per day? Are cycling clubs involved?
    What's the atmosphere like on this?

No not really a certain amount many cyclists just raise a few hundred quid some a few thousand.
    Pace is slow overall as it is 2 full days in the saddle, basically everytime you enter a village or town you stop for a few sweets at least and maybe sandwiches drinks etc.
    There are a few sections where you can hammer it a bit and there are 2 competition sections the "King of the mountains" over Clonlara hills on Saturday and Kilshanny on the Sunday.
    The group usually sticks together and there is always a few struggling which keeps the pace back I reckon it averages 12/13 mph over the weekend.
    Cycling clubs wouldn't be involved as such but the 250 mile cycle has gotten alot of lads into cycling that went off to form clubs and join them too so it deserves credit for promoting cycling in Clare.

Thanks Buck65!

Is there any website/contact person I could get more info from?
    Maybe PM me if you want to keep any details private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 233 ✭✭slayer91

+1 for Buck65

Apart from Lissycasey, every whim of the cyclist is taken care. Even then the feed of cakes and buns in Lissycasey is worth the overnight. Probably the only cycle that you could put weight on !!!

Day 1
    Missing Ennis Lissycasey

Day 2 Part 1
    Day 2 Part2

Thanks slayer91! Interesting to see the route/elevation.

Looking at the three links the mileage is showing just shy of 200 miles. I know the Ennis-Lissycasey part is missing but that isnt 50 miles.

Is this always the route or does it vary year-to-year?

I think it is closer to 225 miles, maybe once upon a time it was 250 but the route is fairly unchanged in the past 20 years I'd guess.
    John Dunne on the Clare rd used to organise it and still probably does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

John Dunne is certainly still the man in charge!

John Dunne is certainly still the man in charge!

Sounds interesting!

Are the dates/details available yet for the 2013 edition of this cycle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭The Guardian

its on the 18/19 of May I think
    call John ASAP if interested
    always welcoming new members though!

• Advertisement
Advertisement