Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor heaters

Options
  • 19-05-2012 12:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭

Hi all

I am looking to get an outdoor patio heater for the summer. I want to get a real fire one rather than a gas powered version.

Are they are good or are they just for show. Does much heat come off them?
    Was looking at either the steel or clay versions. There won't be kids around so that's not a factor.

Thanks for the input

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭ponddigger

hi .here is something you might build,a fire pit:Dponddigger:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,897 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would go for a wrought iron Chiminea type - you can get them with grills for cooking :D A fire pit/basket is nice but you could be in grief with the burning regulations. The clay Chimineas are too fragile especially in a cold winter.

The secret with the Chiminea type is to restrict the chimney once the fire is well lit. So you gradually close the chimney until just before smoke comes out of the fire hole. This retains the heat & you use less fuel. You might find an iron one that has a proper sliding chimney dampener.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Bixy

We were very happy with the clay chimineas and had two of them in the garden for about eight years. Initially we brought them in or covered them up every winter. We got a bit too relaxed about that and they got damaged in the last two cold winters. We got a new clay one, and this time the mistake we made was not following the instructions about starting with a gentle fire. We were too enthusiastic, lit too big a fire on the first lighting and cracked the new one. We were looking around this weekend at the metal ones (more idiot proof?!) but I think I will go back to the clay ones again. I think they look better, they tend to be heavier and therefore feel safer. Personal preference, but if you do go for clay follow the instructions!

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Bartyman

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160635674569

Bought a couple of these and mounted them on a retractable bracket, gives off good heat, we had similiar for a good few years, and replaced them with these, another option if you want ?

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Bixy wrote: »
    We were very happy with the clay chimineas and had two of them in the garden for about eight years. Initially we brought them in or covered them up every winter. We got a bit too relaxed about that and they got damaged in the last two cold winters. We got a new clay one, and this time the mistake we made was not following the instructions about starting with a gentle fire. We were too enthusiastic, lit too big a fire on the first lighting and cracked the new one. We were looking around this weekend at the metal ones (more idiot proof?!) but I think I will go back to the clay ones again. I think they look better, they tend to be heavier and therefore feel safer. Personal preference, but if you do go for clay follow the instructions!

lol ths happened me, I had a clay chiminea Then like a genius I decided to put some coal and bord na mona briquets into it :D:rolleyes: with hilarious consequences:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

Discodog wrote: »
    I would go for a wrought iron Chiminea type - you can get them with grills for cooking :D A fire pit/basket is nice but you could be in grief with the burning regulations. The clay Chimineas are too fragile especially in a cold winter.

The secret with the Chiminea type is to restrict the chimney once the fire is well lit. So you gradually close the chimney until just before smoke comes out of the fire hole. This retains the heat & you use less fuel. You might find an iron one that has a proper sliding chimney dampener.

Nice tip! What do you use as a damper?

Advertisement