Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Self publishing on Amazon

• 19-05-2012 12:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭

Hello...

I am in the process of self-publishing my first book (a collection of 12 short stories and parables) through Amazon. The aim is to get exposure, rather than make money. I am working on two novels that I would like to get them to publishers therefore, would like to establish some grounds before approaching them. (hence, the self publishing)

How much are you willing to pay for an ebook by an unknown author?

I am considering setting it at $£€ 0.99 I am against giving it out for free as it eliminates credibility and any sense of value.

I would appreciate feedback on this.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Suff

32 people have read this and not one would say if they'd pay €£$ 0.99 for an unknown author!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Try pricing it at 99c, and if it's not selling, offer it for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Whelpling

http://www.facebook.com/CreateSpace

Good FB group to be in if you're planning on kindle publishing.

I can't put my hands on it now, but I recall reading an article about kindle publishing a while back that said that books priced in the mid range ($3-$5) were more likely to be bought than very low priced ones. The problem is, you're asking people to part with their cash for a source of entertainment. If people are going to be spending their leisure time reading something, they generally want to enjoy it, and see price as indicative of quality. If you're not confident enough to price your book at that range and your goal really is promotion and getting your name out there, you might want to put it up for free. The biggest thing with kindle publishing is that you need to self promote in a big way. All your marketing falls on your head, so look up some articles on that too, before you publish. Just putting your book up for free won't cut it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

I think its a great idea. Of course I would pay 99c for an ebook if I was interested in the subject matter. I think you can assume everyone who viewed your post would as well. You could offer people 2 taster ebooks at 99c each, then sell your novel at a higher price later.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

It really depends on what genre you're entering into. Generally I'd say avoid the lower price range. I released a novel and tried to go for the lowest price possible... it made me feel better when friends wanted to buy it, but realistically it suggests that it's an amateur effort and not worth any real consideration. You get a certain amount of constant sales, probably from people out bargain hunting, but in terms of long term impact, I'd have my doubts.

Next time I release something it'll be around the €4 mark I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

99c with a first chapter available for free so folks can see what your style is like.

didn't Steven King do something like that.... there was a book that he published on line at something like 50c a chapter. if you read it, you had the option to pay or not. so long as more than 50% paid, he'd keep writing......

I don't think they did though.......

Advertisement