Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physics: What are you covering?

• 19-05-2012 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

Hey guys! What are yis covering for the Physics exam? And what do yis reckon of Waves coming up this year? I'll probably learn them but if it's possible to get the A1 without I'd rather, they're a balls of a question. :P Definitely learning all the experiments tho. Here's what I'm doing:

Linear Motion
    Density, Pressure, Volume
    Gravitation + Circular Motion + SHM
    Heat and Temperature
    Electric Charges
    Current Electricity
    Electromagnetism, Induction & AC Current
    Semiconductors
    The Electron
    Radioactivity & Nuclear Energy
    Applied Electricity

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

I'm doing everything except mechanicsI can't wrap my head around half of it.

Heat
    Waves
    All electricity related stuff incl. Magnetism+semiconductors
    Particle Physics
    Radiation
    The electron, x-rays etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Everything except geometric optics, I hate the maths and the questions are so long. I hope we don't get a horrible mechanics or magnetism question:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 88 ✭✭skanger

Chuchoter wrote: »
    Everything except geometric optics, I hate the maths and the questions are so long. I hope we don't get a horrible mechanics or magnetism question:(

I think the comprehension question (11?) will be nuclear because of Japan, hopefully magnetism comes up in Q12 so it's handy. A heat long question would be a godsend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 405 ✭✭JonnyMcNamee

Doing everything and particle physics as the option.. Still abit shaky on SHM motion, Circular Motion and some parts of electricity but the rest are grand! Hoping for a B.. The maths side will probably let me down though :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 592 ✭✭✭fizzyorange

Everything except the electricity experiments. Hoping for an A or B and I don't plan on doing any electricity questions. Just hoping the document isn't an electricity question because I love the documents. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 715 ✭✭✭Wesc.

This is what I'm covering well:
    -All Mechanics.
    -All Electricity.
    -All Nuclear/Modern Physics and my option.
    -The Doppler Effect.
    -Every experiment apart from last years.

And I'll look over Waves, Sound and Light, just for Q5 and Q12. I think I'll just leave out heat.

If I don't get an A1 I'll be bitterly disappointed :( I'm leaving all my study for it until the days before the exam though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

skanger wrote: »
    I think the comprehension question (11?) will be nuclear because of Japan, hopefully magnetism comes up in Q12 so it's handy.

Banking on this. I took up Physics in November so i'm leaving out electricity and mechanics completely. Won't have much choice on the section B anyway. Hoping for a good B. I dunno though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

Banking on this. I took up Physics in November so i'm leaving out electricity and mechanics completely. Won't have much choice on the section B anyway. Hoping for a good B. I dunno though.

Same here yet I'm doing Physics since 5th year :P We just didn't cover Mechanics cos of the big choice on the paper but I'm not doing Electricity cos I don't like it.
    I will have no choice on Section B but with a bit of luck we'd get 2 full questions on modern physics and it should be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭An0n

Pretty much all mechanics, all electricity(except applied elec), nuclear physics and particle physics, wave/circular motion, the wave nature of light, heat and probably more but I'm not in focus mood right now. :3

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭HyperSkypeWiper

How do yee recommend studying the experiments? Thinking of leaving out the heat experiments as the diagrams and procedures are hateful...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 temujin

I'm doing everything except waves and applied electricity.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

subz3r0 wrote: »
    Same here yet I'm doing Physics since 5th year :P We just didn't cover Mechanics cos of the big choice on the paper but I'm not doing Electricity cos I don't like it.
    I will have no choice on Section B but with a bit of luck we'd get 2 full questions on modern physics and it should be fine :)

Isn't that Really restricting on section B every year there is 1 full question on both mech. and electricity(maybe even 2) and what about q12 then and q5??:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Dwellingdweller

How do yee recommend studying the experiments? Thinking of leaving out the heat experiments as the diagrams and procedures are hateful...

Heat experiments are actually a gift, they're nice and simple if you study them enough. :) Just keep in mind always when doing heat transfer Q's that energy lost by one substance = energy gained by another, so mc(change in temp) = mc(change in temp), obvs you need to add formulas for latent heat and stuff like that if that's in the question but that's pretty much all you need to remember for those experiment q's!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 341 ✭✭BL1993

Everything except electromagnetic Induction. Hate that stuff.

Advertisement