Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Traffic Lights

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,084 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Galway are at it too taking away some of the roundabouts on the approach to Galway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I see he has moved on from looking for the Skate park to be closed to trying to get more traffic lights.

The future of the city centre is a sure bet going by the calibre of the councillors that have a say in what gets done.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭celticcrash

The head on Tom Short, did he go ahead and sue his old neighbour for him climbing on to the shed and falling through it.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Junction doesn't need them. End of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Thats unbelievables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

I wonder has Mr Shortt forgotten about the pedestrian lights that the large majority of people use to go and come from the church,will these be turned off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

saw this on the leader too. don't think I've ever seen an accident there to be honest, and seeing as its a regular route for driving tests, I wouldn't have thought it a very dangerous junction. pedestrians don't use the vast majority of lights in the city anyway, they press the button, wait half a second and then walk across whenever they feel like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

we will get used to it. TBH it is a pain in the ass if you are coming along the strand and want to turn right on to the bridge, but usually some nice person will let you out. Yet he has a point in relation to the nice person letting you out but the guy coming up on the inside lane may not know. Truth is a set of lights there would work quite well, the only downside is thomondgate is getting too many traffic lights and it most definitely is due to the tunnell and wanting to slow traffic through the city increasing journey time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Another waste of money....will be done wrong along side every other newly installed lights and will cause nothing but more tailbacks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

In fairness, turning out from Clancy strand can be pretty dangerous....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 859 ✭✭✭manna452121

In fairness, turning out from Clancy strand can be pretty dangerous....
    The lane used for turning right onto the bridge is the same lane you have to use to go straight ahead down to O Dwyers villis.I wonder who taught of that,was it the same person who wants the lights?

passed this way 3 times today - twice from Clancy strand turning right on to the bridge. no problems either time. once coming over bridge and going straight to Thomondgate. Again no problems, let a car turn left in front of me (coming from Thomondgate and going to Clancy strand) - took about 2 seconds for me to slow down. can't see reason for lights at all.

Town was dead this morning, 11am / 1pm ish. I could have strolled up O'Connell Street there was so little traffic about. very sad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

With the church in the junction, and a blinds corner leading into threw junction, yes, lights should be welcome there. You lot will whinge about anything. Superior gave it about the Galway roundabouts being supported for lights, its made a huge positive to traffic flow there

I wouldn't say I whinge about everything but badly planned traffic lights really get my goat. The ones getting onto the Dublin Road (near Baals Bridge and where they took out the roundabout) are totally maddening. Totally out of sync and if cars manage to get through the first set of lights they get caught by the backed up traffic where the roundabout was, back up traffic even more and its all the way back to the tax office. Also lost track of the amount of times I've sat at those red lights with nothing coming the other way for an age.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭CrazyChick18

another set on the way to work :mad: drive this way every and never seem to see any problems!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

TBH I think more lights isnt an issue , what is the issue is when they put in tonnes of them and badly manage how their operated. The lights at the top of william street by the horse and hound are a prime example.

The best of intentions were had as it was a tricky section to navigate and would have mde the area safer for kids going to the schools but in practice the lights frequency is so poorly managed coming form wiliam street in the morning trying to turn right is a nightmare.

Your given a 15 second (I timed it) gap to take the turn. Take into account slow accelerating drivers, people not paying attention, people simply stopping in the turn to leave sprogs out of the mommy tank and the fact that the next set of lights arent in sync with the first - what your left with is an exercise in fustration trying to make a right turn coming from town.
    Could all be sorted if someone actually synced up the two sets of lights and took into account peoples driving habbits at that hour along with adding a set down area for the school run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

hightower1 wrote: »
    TBH I think more lights isnt an issue , what is the issue is when they put in tonnes of them and badly manage how their operated. The lights at the top of william street by the horse and hound are a prime example.

The best of intentions were had as it was a tricky section to navigate and would have made the area safer for kids going to the schools but in practice the lights frequency is so poorly managed coming form William street in the morning trying to turn right is a nightmare.

Totally agree with you, Im stuck at those stupid new lights in Williams street at least 6 times a day and they take forever to change and then you don't get enough time especially coming from the horse and hound.

Also the ones on the hyde road/childers road junction I waste at least 30mins there a week waiting at a red light,with noting coming in the direction that is green,will they please put in a sensor to detect oncoming traffic like they promised yrs ago.
    To

Advertisement