Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vista SP1

• 19-05-2012 1:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭

I've just reinstalled a fresh copy of Vista on my PC, and went to Windows Update to download SP1 + SP2, but it does not appear in the update list, i have checked and refeshed several times.

I went to Microsoft's download Center, SP1 is available there, but at a hefty 435mb as its the 5 langauge pack. It recommended downloading using Windows Update as the single PC version is only 65mb.

I know they stopped support for Vista SP1 back in July 2011, but surely SP1 should still appear on Windows Update.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

johndoe99 wrote: »
    I've just reinstalled a fresh copy of Vista on my PC, and went to Windows Update to download SP1 + SP2, but it does not appear in the update list, i have checked and refeshed several times.

I went to Microsoft's download Center, SP1 is available there, but at a hefty 435mb as its the 5 langauge pack. It recommended downloading using Windows Update as the single PC version is only 65mb.

I know they stopped support for Vista SP1 back in July 2011, but surely SP1 should still appear on Windows Update.

Any ideas?

Windows Updates sometimes require other update pre-requisites so install all updates Windows update has found>Restart then check for updates again!

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭johndoe99

yoyo wrote: »
    Windows Updates sometimes require other update pre-requisites so install all updates Windows update has found>Restart then check for updates again!

Nick

just finished installing all available updates, but no sign of SP1 or SP2

edit: i also ran microsoft fixit, but it came back with all ok.

just finished installing all available updates, but no sign of SP1 or SP2

edit: i also ran microsoft fixit, but it came back with all ok.

Thats odd, just make sure your not on SP2 already (Right click computer>Properties and should appear underneath the Vista version info).
    If that doesn't work make sure to click "Check for Updates" in windows update, failing that just download the redistributeable SP2 and 1 installers, I think SP2 requires 1 to be installed (I.e SP2 installer doesn't include SP1 fixes)

Nick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭SickBoy

Install the standalone service packs. As Yoyo pointed out you must apply service pack 1 before applying service pack 2.
    Go to 'Method 3' on the below link and follow the instructions.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

yoyo wrote: »
    Thats odd, just make sure your not on SP2 already (Right click computer>Properties and should appear underneath the Vista version info).Nick

i checked and definitely don't already have any of the service packs.
    SickBoy wrote: »
    Install the standalone service packs. As Yoyo pointed out you must apply service pack 1 before applying service pack 2. Go to 'Method 3' on the below link and follow the instructions.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791

As you can see in my original post i don't want to install the standalone packs, as they are a hefty size of 435mb
    Earlier before i made this thread, i went to install the standalone SP1 but i was informed I'd need 7gb of free space.

Image1-2.jpg

• Advertisement

On a clean install of Vista it usually takes a couple of days or a few reboots for SP1 to appear in Windows Update. Stuff needs to be done in the background and its done at a low priority so as not to slow your sytem down.

Wait until you are fully up to date with service packs and drivers before installing all your apps.

Also take a system image after you are up to date but before installing your programs. Looking at the other thread you had installed an awful lot of crap and dodgy apps on your system. I would class it as a high-risk system. So taking a system image will speed things up if you every need to do a clean install again.

I know that some dodgy drivers can prevent SP1 from being offered by Windows Update. Could that be it?

Karsini wrote: »
    I know that some dodgy drivers can prevent SP1 from being offered by Windows Update. Could that be it?
    One of the reasons I suggested the standalone service packs.

By the way there isn't much difference in size between the standalone service packs and the individual updates through windows update on a clean installation of Vista so keep that in mind if your worried about exceeding a data cap or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

Support for SP2 ends in January also.

On a clean install of Vista it usually takes a couple of days or a few reboots for SP1 to appear in Windows Update. Stuff needs to be done in the background and its done at a low priority so as not to slow your sytem down.
    Wait until you are fully up to date with service packs and drivers before installing all your apps.

Also take a system image after you are up to date but before installing your programs. Looking at the other thread you had installed an awful lot of crap and dodgy apps on your system. I would class it as a high-risk system. So taking a system image will speed things up if you every need to do a clean install again.

All my programs are already installed, what you say about taking a couple of days/reboots for SP1 to appear, that makes sense, your probably right.
    By the way there isn't much difference in size between the standalone service packs and the individual updates through windows update on a clean installation of Vista so keep that in mind if your worried about exceeding a data cap or something like that.

Not worried about a data cap, just wondering why Windows Update has SP1 as only 65mb and standalone as 435mb (needing 7gb to install), don't want to take a chance on a load of bloatware.

• Advertisement

All my programs are already installed, what you say about taking a couple of days/reboots for SP1 to appear, that makes sense, your probably right.

Not worried about a data cap, just wondering why Windows Update has SP1 as only 65mb and standalone as 435mb (needing 7gb to install), don't want to take a chance on a load of bloatware.

The 65Meg is probably the best case depending on how many updates are already applied. In other words if all the pre SP1 updates are applied then it will only take an additional 65Meg of updates to bring you to SP1 via windows update.

i was reading about Windows Update, see the "More Information" section, it talks about three updates being needed before SP1 can be installed.

I went and rebooted then went to Windows Update and there were 3 new updates, i installed those and guess what, SP1 appears in the Windows Update List.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/937287

Final Update:

When i booted up this morning went to Windows Update, and SP2 was there waiting, downloaded and installed it.

All going great now, thanks for your input lads.

Final Update:

When i booted up this morning went to Windows Update, and SP2 was there waiting, downloaded and installed it.

All going great now, thanks for your input lads.

Good stuff, hopefully no further problems now :) . Vista SP2 isn't a bad OS either,

Nick

Advertisement