Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help, Ferret had babies

• 19-05-2012 2:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Hiya! All

We re homed a ferret, but I do not know nothing about ferrets.

Yesterday she was here in the house playing away, lively as usual...Today i went to get her out of the cage for her daily walk and to my surprise she had 2 baby ferrets in her nest :)

I am very please, its no problem at all....but what do i do, or what should i do to make it better for her?, or should there be something i should do?

Please do not send me to the Irish ferret forum, it is dead, posts are 3 or 4 month's old and the last question I place there still has no replies.

Any help is welcomed :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Don't know anything about ferrets either, but I assume its similar to cats and dogs, up the mothers food, make sure its good quality and plenty of fresh water. Probably more protein in the diet too.
    Do you know any ferret breeders you could ask for advice?
    Also you could try calling rescues and asking for advice, they can tell you about diet etc.
    Where did you adopt her from?

Best of luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

deleted a few posts - guys less grammar lessons and more relevent posts offering advice. Obviously the ferret is domesticated and as such giving out about capturing wild animals is not applicable.
    Keep on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Hi OP,

There's a UK ferret forum which seems to be more active, it might be a good idea to ask for help there.

http://www.ferretsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭tudlytops

star-pants wrote: »
    deleted a few posts - guys less grammar lessons and more relevent posts offering advice. Obviously the ferret is domesticated and as such giving out about capturing wild animals is not applicable.
    Keep on topic please.

Thank you, yes she is domesticated, we offered to re-home her, but we didn't expect her to be pregnant...

Hi OP,

There's a UK ferret forum which seems to be more active, it might be a good idea to ask for help there.

http://www.ferretsforum.co.uk/forum/index.php

thank you will try :)

• Advertisement

mymo wrote: »
    Don't know anything about ferrets either, but I assume its similar to cats and dogs, up the mothers food, make sure its good quality and plenty of fresh water. Probably more protein in the diet too.
    Do you know any ferret breeders you could ask for advice?
    Also you could try calling rescues and asking for advice, they can tell you about diet etc.
    Where did you adopt her from?

Best of luck

Didn't think of calling a rescue, thank you will do that tomorrow :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Do not go near her if it's her first litter she may kill the kits as she might find you to be a threat
    Secondly feed her well to avoid her eating them herself it's strange she had just two she might have others there and may give birth again over next 24 hours so keep and eye on her as its a stressfull time for her
    I am lookin for a new ferret as mine died from distemper while back
    The kits will be ready at ten weeks old if u can pm me

Advertisement