Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English Poetry Answer

• 19-05-2012 2:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, for the poetry question is there a certain way you should answer? Such as analysing each poem individually thoroughly(imagery,theme etc) or by doing let's say imagery from each poem, then doing theme from each poem? Or does it matter? And do you have to include every poem that you've studied by the poet?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

What I do is, pick 3 themes discussed by the poet and mention them in my introduction and then have 2 poems under each theme. I then discuss the imagery, poetic techniques and my own opinion of it in the paragraph I give each theme. All while staying focused on the question asked, ofcourse!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Bubbleope

if it's a general question like: Did you find the poet appealing?
    i'd just write about anything and everything. mainly about the main themes of the poems whilst including how the poet brought about these themes by using certain techniques. (:
    and then for questions with a certain topic i'd focus only on that topic and choose poems which relate to it.

always relate back to the question whatever ya do. (:

i'm writing about 6 poems, no matter what. no more no less. 6.
    i study 8/9 poems for each poet but writing about 6 for an answer. i think you're meant to anyways. i think the syllabus says something about how your meant to show your knowledge on at least 6 poems from the poet anyways so DEFINITELY six poems!! :pac:

i'm hoping heaney comes up though. (: only poet i actually like. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Breifne72

Hayezer wrote: »
    Hey guys, for the poetry question is there a certain way you should answer? Such as analysing each poem individually thoroughly(imagery,theme etc) or by doing let's say imagery from each poem, then doing theme from each poem? Or does it matter? And do you have to include every poem that you've studied by the poet?

Seemingly you need to have a least 5 poems by the poet. What our teacher is gettin us to do is have 4 poems per point :D hope this helps!

Advertisement