Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hairdressing Dye Disaster - can someone answer a question

• 19-05-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭

Hi guys, can someone help me out here, please

I recently got my hair dyed in a hairdressers. I usually get my hair dyed in Peter Marks but after a few mishaps by them and the price, for the last while I've just been using home colorants - just on the roots.

But after many months of dying, my hair has gone a very dark brown and I wish it to be more of a chocolate brown. I must add that I have a lot of grey in my roots but this was successfully dyed by hairdressers before.

Anyway I went to a hairdresser recently and she told me in order to get the required colour she would dye it lighter over a few visits because if she was to do it in one sitting, it would be very severe on my hair. I thought this was OK, because I had gotten my hair into a good condition and didn't want to ruin it.

So she dyes my hair, starting at the roots and bringing it all through to the ends. After the colour is washed out and she is drying and styling my hair, I notice that my roots are a lighter colour and havent taken the colour properly. I tell her this and immediately she suggests putting a darker colour at the roots. So she does this and washes and dries my hair again.

I go home and check my roots and lo and behold, my roots still haven't taken the colour. The grey is gone, but it's much lighter.

Can someone, preferably a hairdresser tell me, is this possible? In all my experience of salon dying, hairdresser dye is superior to home dyes and has always covered my roots. The hairdresser was a foreign run, cheaper place and a friend of mine swears by it (mind you, she only gets her hair cut there).

I am definitely not going back there. My head was quite sore during the process, very smarting while the dye was on my head. (the hairdresser gave me a comb to scratch my head, if it was too bad!) To be completely honest I think they used very cheap dye. A hairdresser once told me, hair dye should never burn your head.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pishposh

Firstly you cannot lighten coloured hair unless you use prelightner, the hairdresser should have known this. Also the dye she used might not be suitable for colouring grey hair and that's why you didn't get the result you wanted.

If you are allergic to dye it may cause itching or burning. In your case it may have been because she dyed your hair twice in such a short space of time. Hair should not be dyed freshly washed because the natural oils on your scalp protect it. It was very unprofessional of the hairdresser to give you a comb to scratch your head, she obviously didn't do a patch test and didn't know if you were going to have a bad reaction, she should have washed your hair immediately.

Advertisement