Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Puppy

• 19-05-2012 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭

Hi guys i just got my 3rd dog a tea cup Maltese there this week and a love her to bits she is such a pet.

Anyway my problem is that i have 2 more dogs both are Yorkies one is 6 years and one is 5 years old.

They haven't taking to the new puppy yet. But all the puppy wont's to do is play with them and will not stop at them. Which was lead to my tea cup yorkie being very growly towards her but both will sleep on my mums lap right beside each outer.

The big one is ok with her but still i don't no with both what are the best ways to make sure they get on with each outer.

I think the problem is that there is a large gap in between the ages of them with it being 5 years between the puppy and the tea cup yorkie

I would be delighted with any help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Wizard01

Congrats on your new baby :D

Would you believe we also have 2 Yorkies and a Maltese and recently added a Bernese :)

Our Yorkies are older than yours, male 11 and female 7, we got our Maltese almost 2 years ago. Our female is very friendly and loves new puppies, she tries to mother them but our male can be grouchy (typical old man ;)).

We tired the puppy out with games and playing with teddies, dog toys, socks etc as much as possible so she didn't annoy our other dogs too much, but she still loved to play with them.

Our male will jump on the sofa, chairs etc to avoid her but our female plays with her till she has enough, then a growl or bark will put our Maltese in her place and playtime is over till later.

Are they playing together at all? Or are they just growling if she approaches them?

Just to add you will love her, we can't get over how placid and friendly she is!! Our 5 year old is her "owner" and they are friends for life!! Happy Maltese ownership :)

Meant to add, give your Yorkie's extra love and attention, spend time doing things they like, they could be jealous of the new arrival getting all the attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭DeeRottie

I think some upset is to be expected when a new dog comes into a home, but I'm sure given time they'll all get along.

Your older dog should not be punished for growling at the new arrival. Dogs warning system goes growl-then snap-then bite. If you don't allow a dog to growl then what will happen instead ...???

Your puppy has to learn body language and behaviour from the older dogs. They are probably just letting puppy know they are not up for boisterous play.

I have 2 smallies and a big dog, and each time I brought one home the others' nose was out of joint for a couple of weeks, but now they all get along fantastically - I'm sure your little furry family will sort itself out given time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Ok here's 1 I seen on it's me or the dog USA. These 2 dogs hated each other, 1 was a pet in the home for years, the second was a rescue dog who they introduced into the home. They would try to attack each other constantly. They had to keep 1 outside and 1 indoors while they were at work. Even when the owners were home they kept them in different rooms. Thankfully your situation is no where near this bad!

Every time either dog looked at each other or enered the same room they clicked and treated them. They got to learn very quickly if they were nice to each other nice things happened to them! By the end of the week they were sitting side by side, happy out!

I'd try something similar. Every time your Maltese tries to play with your yorkie give the yorkie a treat. She'll soon learn to assosiate playing with the puppy as a positive thing.

Be consistent and good luck. I'm sure if you search for the episode online it's out there somewhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Lima Golf

Just noticed my spelling above. Appollogiees ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

Thanks guys for the help there will try my best to make them get along with each outer over the next few weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭BengaLover

PAtience is the key...Patience, time and take things slowly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Theres no such thing as a tea cup anything, its just a Maltese or yorkie. Tea cup is a phrase puppy farmers and irresponsible breeders put on their pups to help them sell easier. I would be be very wary of any so called breeders selling tea cup dogs.....
    Just give it time with the new pup. It can take a few weeks to settle with your other dogs.

Advertisement