Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dead baby Orca on sandymount strand

• 19-05-2012 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Pretty sure it was an Orca, does anyone know if these are common in Ireland?Looked like it had been bitten on its underside but this could have been done by a dog or something after the fact.

Comments

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Did you get any pictures? You should report it here: http://www.iwdg.ie/iscope/strandings/report.asp?id=88 :)

They are reasonably common in Irish waters, plenty of sightings have been reported and I know a fair few people who have seen them. Never been so lucky myself though! A pod of about 30 were sighted off belmullet a couple of years ago iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 cadger1978

Unfortunately I didnt have my phone with me to take a photo but as it was close to the road and there was lots of joggers/families out walking at the time I'm sure someone must have gotten a pic.The gardai did turn up at one stage but they just had a quick look and drove off.I'll try to fill out the form as best I can but I didnt go counting teeth etc so I wouldnt be able to do it in detail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2012/05/18/washed-up-on-sandymount-strand/

I assume this is what you saw? Porpoise was my first thought, but I wouldn't know enough about marine mammals to say its not a young orca!

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Ah yea, that looks like a porpoise to me alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭lenovoguy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Ah yea, that looks like a porpoise to me alright :D

Was down there earlier but only saw the decapitated body , how would that happen ? Would someone have cut it off or would it have been a wild animal

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

WILLY NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    lenovoguy wrote: »
    saw the decapitated body , how would that happen ?

shoryuken.jpg

lenovoguy wrote: »
    Was down there earlier but only saw the decapitated body , how would that happen ? Would someone have cut it off or would it have been a wild animal

Possible someone cut it off I suppose. They might want the skull maybe. If an animal had got at it I doubt it would have just rmoved the head.

I remember a whale beaching when i was a teenager, it was badly decomposed, but folks went at it with hacksaws to get the teeth. a friend of mine was one of them and I still have the tooth he gave me.

Eeeeew. Leave the poor animal alone I saw, no point desecrating its corpse for its skull. Weirdos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Looks like a harbour porpoise to me. A baby killer whale would have a larger, more bulbous head.

And also look like a baby killer whale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement