Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Leaving Cert term ends early after dance incident

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

Based on the report in the independent it looks to be a bit more serious then was originally portryed!

Just to say though that while the article does suggest this was a seperate event to the one which lead to the expulsions but i'd be surprised if they weren't in some way linked.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-helicopter-scrambled-for-school-prank-that-went-too-far-3112771.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 525 ✭✭✭vamos!

Pranks have always happened but they seem to be getting worse as the standards of respect, accountability and common decency decline. A non-fee paying school in Meath also cancelled the grad and sent students home adter a teacher was assaulted. It didnt make the news though. How many assaults happened in the name of pranks last week??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,401 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

murphm45 wrote: »
    Based on the report in the independent it looks to be a bit more serious then was originally portryed!

Just to say though that while the article does suggest this was a seperate event to the one which lead to the expulsions but i'd be surprised if they weren't in some way linked.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/garda-helicopter-scrambled-for-school-prank-that-went-too-far-3112771.html

couldn't help laughing at "The garda helicopter and squad cars -- one of which crashed - followed in pursuit"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭Truley

When we were in School it was known as 'muck up day' - the last real day of school before the Leaving Cert started. It was always very innocent stuff, mostly messing with silly string and water balloons outside the school building.

These incidents take it way to far though and I don't think it should be tolerated, teachers or students are not fair game to be abused or assaulted in the name of a bit of 'craic.' The St. Mary's story is especially horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Kurtosis

This article only mentions the same "music event". The other incident it discusses is in relation to a different school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

Truley wrote: »
    When we were in School it was known as 'muck up day' - the last real day of school before the Leaving Cert started. It was always very innocent stuff, mostly messing with silly string and water balloons outside the school building.

These incidents take it way to far though and I don't think it should be tolerated, teachers or students are not fair game to be abused or assaulted in the name of a bit of 'craic.' The St. Mary's story is especially horrific.
    Back when i was in school it was a case of burn your school tie on the gate when you finished up.

The lads have got a very important life lesson before they even left the school which is don't act the maggot as mummy and daddy won't always be able to throw money at every problem to make it go away.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Why? There's nothing to suggest they were linked at all.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭murphm45

penguin88 wrote: »
    This article only mentions the same "music event". The other incident it discusses is in relation to a different school.

Sorry my mistake, talking about prestigious schools in the same area led to me to connect them.
    Why? There's nothing to suggest they were linked at all.

See above, sorry i misread the article

Either way rathgar does come out smelling of roses from these "revelations". Although as someone mentioned earlier this is happening up and down the country, the areas "reputation" is the only reason these incidents are in the paper.

And people say teachers have it easy!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,273 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Teachers are assaulted every week of the year in Irish schools, by students and by parents. I know of one teacher who was stabbed in a Dublin school.

If it takes some posh louts 'larking about' to make people notice this, so be it.

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »
    Teachers are assaulted every week of the year in Irish schools, by students and by parents. I know of one teacher who was stabbed in a Dublin school.

If it takes some posh louts 'larking about' to make people notice this, so be it.

Stabbed:eek:??? Wow I never heard any mention of that. Do you reckon incidents are swept under the carpet lest they get the school a bad reputation? That is shocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

vamos! wrote: »
    Stabbed:eek:??? Wow I never heard any mention of that. Do you reckon incidents are swept under the carpet lest they get the school a bad reputation? That is shocking.

People rather give out about teachers pay. It sells more papers. The papers don't care about the disadvantaged schools.

I don't know if it is just disadvantaged. I had a heavy item thrown at me in a middle of the road school. It was neither posh nor disadvantaged but the principal didn't want to know. Incidents like that happened in the tech not in our school....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Naomi00 wrote: »
    'High School', 'Sixth Form','Common Room'...

:confused:

Where do they think they are?

Big school, seniors, school yard

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Fight_Night

These threads always expose people's prejudices. I mean I'm not condoning the behaviour but this thing(teacher abuse/assault) happens all the time usually in a far more severe manner than this case and they usually go relatively unpunished. But since this happened in a private school it gets an article in the paper and a huge thread on boards.

I also think the expulsion is harsh. A guy in my school pissed in a bottle and spilled it on a teacher and he got a few detentions. That was far more deserving of expulsion IMO. Ok yes what the lads did was out of line but assuming that this is a relatively isolated incident then I think a suspension from graduation and the lark wouldve been sufficient.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 insua

Sounds like these lads were just having the craic, apparently the new principal of the school is a bit of a fascist and is finding himself in a rather shaky legal position due to the nature of expulsion

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

they called a jew a jew? It's hardly project odessa material is it? :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,828 ✭✭✭gosplan

Funny how after a couple of years of the media and general public abusing teachers, teenagers now seem to abuse teachers more..

And now, it's a 27K job as well.

God luck getting intelligent, talented people to teach the nation's children now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭KamiKazeKitten

Here's another story about St Marys in Rathmines....how is this stuff only getting reported now?

Happens pretty much every year. :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Pride Fighter

Sounds a bit like the plot of footloose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Len_007

Ok yes what the lads did was out of line but assuming that this is a relatively isolated incident then I think a suspension from graduation and the lark wouldve been sufficient.

You think the student or students who took the time to organize the rave, bring the padlock, stuff to black out the windows etc were for the first time in their six years misbehaving to the extent that you could call their actions isolated?
    It was probably the case that, like in every school year, there are a few bad eggs, and that by the time the ones who actually got expelled made it to their final year, their may of been a case on each of them that didn't really help their cause when it came to being dealt with over the "rave".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Overflow

Why does it matter ?

• Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nommm

I never understand why they ban the whole year from graduation in these situations. It's unfair that everyone gets punished for the actions of a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

A point was made of it being a rave, in particular. with all teh trimmings it's fairly damning on the 'school' in fairness.. its the degenerative idiocy rather than mild rebellion which grates - and the room will have to be decontaminated.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭omgitsthelazor

Its common place and virtually expected on the last days for seniors to do something as a once off thats a bit crazy. Something that'll be remembered. I remember in our school some had a fight around the building using fire extingushers as toys. Teachers just generally let stuff go on the final days, why punish you when you won't be back anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Bambi wrote: »
    they called a jew a jew? It's hardly project odessa material is it? :confused:

They called him a jew, which was obviously supposed to be some petty slur and he threw an orange at him. Bit of a ****wit I'd say, might have been lacking a few clatterings around the head to stop him from ascending to further levels of ****wittery that can lead to devasting impacts on society.

The Mary's story is baffling as well. Guards come across as cluless, I mean why get a police helicopter deployed? In sayign that, if the lads can't pull off their prank without ****ing it up and causing a huge disturbance which wastes resources where they might actually be neccesary outside boring and unorginal school pranks, then they should have to pay up or do some community service. Expulsion is futile.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

gosplan wrote: »
    God luck getting intelligent, talented people to teach the nation's children now
    All my school teachers bar one were stupider than stupidton

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭LH Pathe

from my own leaving cert students I'd sooner encounter a stand-off than a dance-off. and to rave, the fùcking degenerates that shìts for pre-school dancing queens.. but no here they are approaching their college years you build em up and for what if I had my way they'd be bangin' to the choon of eternal leave with no reprieve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

LH Pathe wrote: »
    from my own leaving cert students I'd sooner encounter a stand-off than a dance-off. and to rave, the fùcking degenerates that shìts for pre-school dancing queens.. but no here they are approaching their college years you build em up and for what if I had my way they'd be bangin' to the choon of eternal leave with no reprieve.

What the fcuk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

All my school teachers bar one were stupider than stupidton
    funny that, all your teachers were stupid, and you are the scholar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

spurious wrote: »
    The school agrees to being a centre for the State Examinations Commission, but the school still has the right to refuse entry to their premises to people they do not want there.

So, while they could not stop them sitting the exam in another centre, they are quite within their rights to stop them sitting it in their school.

Funny, I have never seen a "Management reserve the right to refuse admission" sign stuck up on any of the schools that I went to.

• Advertisement
Advertisement